Importing a Bear Skin Rug into Thailand

Alaskan

Has anyone had any experience bringing something like this into Thailand? I have a bear skin rug that I'd love to bring back from America on my next visit but wonder just how difficult that will be. Looking at the Thai Customs website I see that "Live Animals and Animal Products" require some kind of government approval. Before contacting Thai Customs I thought I'd ask if any forum members have dealt with this, or similar issue. The rug in question is a black bear about 6 feet long. This rug has the head, but I have another without a head that's about 5 feet long. The rug with head is what I'd like to bring, but if for some reason the headless version was easier I would be ok with that. 

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Thailand is party to the CITES convention and in 1992, enacted the Wild Animal Preservation and Protection Act, B.E. 2535 (WARPA) WARPA requires a licence to import, transit, and export wildlife and animal parts.

Perhaps you can contact the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation in BKK?

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed I have, haha, more than once. It's the Alaskan way. 

I contacted the Department of National Parks and Wildlife as well as Thai Customs head office and main airport office. As is expected, so many conflicting answers. The one official who seemed to know what he was talking about asked for genus and species to determine if it was listed as protected in Thailand. As it is an Ursus Americanus and not one of two species found in Thailand,  he determined bringing it in would not be a problem on Thailand's end but that I would need a license from US customs allowing it. Everything I've found from US Customs relates only to importing so I'm not sure this is good information. 

Asked Customs in Thailand if I brought it in what would the fee be, boy did they not want to give an answer. Phone passed around the office with lots of murmured chatter. Eventual answer- let's see it first then decide. I'm guessing now my options are to abandon the idea of decorating my home with one, or put it in a suitcase and be ready to hand over whatever is asked for at Customs. The latter doesn't sound ideal. 

Don’t just put it in a suitcase.

Do not bring it in without some kind of written declaration from the Thai side less you face heavy fines, or corruption and bribes to avoid long sentence of Thai gaol ( the unbelievable hell hole to rot in without a constant steam of money for more corruption and bribes ).