Pink Nipples

chanchao

Pink Nipples  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok this may sound like a frivolous poll, but I noticed that more than a few Thais truly wonder if my look-krung daughter has 'farang' pink nipples or not. Not being an expert at genetics, I thought I'd approach this in a poll to gather statistical data. It seems pretty much all half-Thai half-Western kids get brown eyes and brown-ish hair.

Also, out of interest, at what age would you get nipples bleached? She should look 'farang' to other kids when swimming, etc, right?

Edited by chanchao

Ok this may sound like a frivolous poll, but I noticed that more than a few Thais truly wonder if my look-krung daughter has 'farang' pink nipples or not. Not being an expert at genetics, I thought I'd approach this in a poll to gather statistical data. It seems pretty much all half-Thai half-Western kids get brown eyes and brown-ish hair.

Also, out of interest, at what age would you get nipples bleached? She should look 'farang' to other kids when swimming, etc, right?

What???!!?? Thats a joke right?

Why? Actually I'm not joking with the topic at all. I can see why the poll format can seem awkward of course.

Anyway: Would discussing eye or hair colour be less bizarre or in better taste? Why?

Regardless, it's already interesting to see people can find a topic bizarre as soon as it relates to human anatomy or mixed-race issues.

Also, and I didn't think I'd need to spell this out, but YES this topic can also be about discussing cultural differences pertaining to Westerners finding it inappropriate when Thais openly ask about or discuss personal topics that are traditionally taboo in Western cultures. Such as, but not limited to, Thai relatives taking great interest in the 'private parts' of male babies.

Edited by chanchao

Yeah, I can't help but notice that on the calendars at car work shops too, still I suspected some were Photoshopped. I suspect the Thai versions of that software actually have a brown-nipple-reduction filter right below the red-eye-reduction filter. :o

Yeah, I can't help but notice that on the calendars at car work shops too, still I suspected some were Photoshopped. I suspect the Thai versions of that software actually have a brown-nipple-reduction filter right below the red-eye-reduction filter. :o

i suppose it would be patronizing to add that nipples chang colur after a pregnancy, but to answer your question my kids nipples are pink.

If I'm not mistaken, Chanchao, your daughter is still a baby, right? So even though I've got 2 boys and no daughters, they've still got nipples.... does my vote count? Not sure, so haven't voted.

My boys have both got pink nipples, but they are very fair skinned. When my husband and I were first together, way before we got married, there were people in his village who actually asked him about the colour of MY body in the places that are covered by clothes. This obsession with body parts and colour is just one of the few facets of Thai culture that I just can't get into. (Uh oh, should I leave the country and go back where I came from??? :o )

Hey, if your daughter's got brown nipples you should be relieved to know that at least she won't get sunburned when she's out shakin her topless booty on some beach in Samui or Phuket in 16 or so years with the backpackers she meets at Tha Phae gate over Songkran..... (these are the daughter stories I have to tell myself to keep me from wanting to try for another one just incase it would be a girl) :D

> If I'm not mistaken, Chanchao, your daughter is still a baby, right? So even though I've got

> 2 boys and no daughters, they've still got nipples.... does my vote count?

Yes, very much so! (You're correct that I didn't make this clearer.) And.... Every vote counts, use your democratic right to be heard on this issue. :o

> This obsession with body parts and colour is just one of the few facets of Thai culture

> that I just can't get into. (Uh oh, should I leave the country and go back where I came

> from??? whistling.gif )

There'd be very few foreigners in Thailand if everyone who objected to some particular custom had to leave. :D

> Hey, if your daughter's got brown nipples you should be relieved to know that at

> least she won't get sunburned when she's out shakin her topless booty on some beach

> in Samui or Phuket in 16 or so years with the backpackers she meets at Tha Phae

> gate over Songkran.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh there will be none of that until she's 35. :D

(Or until married and adequate sin sod collected.)

> (these are the daughter stories I have to tell myself to keep me from wanting

> to try for another one just in case it would be a girl)

I think kids are pretty much guaranteed to cause trouble & headaches no matter what the gender. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Perhaps, you could have included "Nothing to talk about " in your poll.

> Perhaps, you could have included "Nothing to talk about " in your poll.

I did, that's the null-vote.

> here is another silly question:

> Does your half-thai half-Western son have pink scrotum skin?

Come on, what does that have to do with anything. The whole point is that in Thailand, Thai people actually DO debate and 'value' certain features: it does not seem that different from Western people discussing hair colour. Skin colour is another HUGE item, as is shape/size of the nose. Then a major one is having folding '2 level' eyelids or 'Chinese' single eyelids. (I know many Chinese have in fact folding eyelids but you know what I mean.)

What you're raising I think is just intended to cause a stir as it's in no way important to Thais or any other people I can think of.

> Maybe you should just visit an international school during swim time to find out your answers.

That doesn't work because even through a telescope lens you can't tell for sure who is mixed Thai-Western and who is something else 'Thai-Something' or 'Something-Something' and not Thai at all.

Anyway, I feel a moderator's axe hanging over this topic like a wet blanket with all those frivolous comments, but at least the polll is at a nice 50-50 at the moment.. Probably not statistically valid yet, but it's a result.

Edited by chanchao

Well I'm going to take this a little off track but still related. A couple years ago, my son's mother-in-law reported my wife and I to a child protection agency saying that we were beating the girl. It was absolutely nuts! Luckily the people at the agency knew that mixed race kids (she is half Thai) have "Mongoloid spots." If you are not familiar with them, it's a blue-tint to the skin usually just above the buttocks. We still had to go down and get interviewed. We were cleared immediately -- but I would like to beat the mother-in-law!

Edited by dclaryjr