Eight Thai Ministers Kicked Out

george

Debate censure kicks off with eight ministers accused of corruption

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's main opposition party launched a searing attack Wednesday on eight cabinet ministers facing censure for alleged incompetence, conflicts of interest and corruption.

The debate came as Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's was confronting increased violence in the nation's restive south and controversy surrounding his bid for a stake in Premiership football giants Liverpool.

Democrat party leader Banyat Bantadthan opened the debate accusing Thaksin's party of being a breeding ground for nepotism, corruption and widespread conflicts of interest.

"The (Democrat) party has become gravely concerned that many ministers have chosen to protect their own interests or those of their associates...," Banyat said during a session broadcast live on Thai television and radio.

Among the eight facing censure are three deputy prime ministers including Chavalit Yongchaiyudh who is responsible for state security, Suchart Jaovisidha and Wan Muhamad Noor Matha, who is also the target of an impeachment motion for allegedly concealing assets.

Banyat took aim at education minister Adisai Bodharamik, accusing him of leaking results of the national university entrance tests.

The leak caused a huge scandal in Thailand, eventually implicating the premier's own daughter who had her university placement revoked. An emotional Thaksin later publicly asked for her to be left out of the uproar.

Thaksin played down the allegations Wednesday, saying he was confident all ministers would leave the two-day debate with their reputations intact.

"There is no problem and nothing to be excited about," he told reporters.

"Every minister can answer every issue as people who actually work know what they have done, and I will not exercise my right to answer if I am implicated." Last week the premier said he would pursue legal action against anyone defaming him or his family during the debate.

Democrat party secretary general Pradit Pattraprasit said there was strong evidence against the ministers but conceded it was almost impossible to unseat them.

"Though we have better and clearer evidence than during previous times it will be very difficult to win enough votes to bring change," he said.

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party holds 296 seats in the 500-seat lower House of Representatives, and a commanding 335-seat coalition with partner party Chart Thai.

--The Nation 2004-05-19

http://nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3...13923&usrsess=1

Democrat party leader Banyat Bantadthan opened the debate accusing Thaksin's party of being a breeding ground for nepotism, corruption and widespread conflicts of interest.

thats not a bad start... but the depth it seems to go to indicates that it is institutionalised... as always real education is the key

until they get beyond just maintaining a facade.. things really will not get better

Reminds me of earlier day's when i'd have a serious giggle over government official's corrupting the innocent people of the kingdom and business foreigner's to boot. :o

The Nation Newspaper and Bangkok Post without such still make for a good read even though i'd say it was more interesting some three years back in Two Thousand and One. :D

Back to old ways and attitude's again...Thaimee.

George, jumping the gun there a bit with the headline aren't you - or is that just wishful thinking?

Hrrmmm..... You are right, they are bastards....

Steady now.....................

I'm just a tad surprised that the gentlemen at the helm of the Min. of Agric. were missed off the list of those to be censured. Makes one wonder what is the level of fingers in the till one needs, before being counted as blemished?

.....and then in the Bangkok Post today, we have tis little gem!

CENSURE DEBATE

Treepol: Rice, fruit sold off too cheaply

Commerce Minister Watana Muangsook sold rice and longan stockpiled under state mortgage schemes to certain exporters at low prices to help them make hefty profits, Democrat MP Treepol Johjit charged at the censure debate yesterday.

Did he do it? Nah, you don't have that sort of thing going on in Thai government, do you? :o