British backpacker, 29, commits suicide while in police custody in Cambodia

geovalin

A British backpacker killed himself while in police custody in Cambodia, according to local media. Matthew Paul King, 29, from Luton, Bedfordshire, had been arrested at the weekend following allegations of theft at a guest house in Kampot, southern Cambodia. He was reportedly found dead while in the custody of the Immigration Department in the capital Phnom Penh, some 93 miles northeast of Kampot.

Tragedy: British backpacker Matthew Paul King, 29, killed himself after being arrested at the Blue Buddah guest house in Kampot, southern Cambodia Reports of Mr King’s arrest first emerged this weekend when photos of him being questioned by immigration officials were published by local media. One website said he had been arrested pending an investigation into an allegation of ‘cheating’ at the Blue Buddha guesthouse in Kampot.

A person writing on a local forum for expats in Cambodia claimed that the reports about ‘what happened at Blue Buddha Guesthouse may be inexact and that it was a personal matter and that Matthew did not cheat them as reported.’ Local media reported that after Mr King was found unresponsive in custody at the Department of Immigration, attempts were made to revive him.

read more https://newsfeeds.media/british-backpacker-29-commits-suicide-while-in-police-custody-in-cambodia/

Sad that one so young passes like this.

Nevwr ceases to amaze me that a tragedy like this would be accepted as suicide in good old back home but because it happens in se asia something more sinistet must be afoot.

Why do many expaat wrinklies get so cynical . I wouldnt leave good old back home if I had such a mindset. 

• Like 2