Court probes Ricketson’s CNRP ties

geovalin

Phnom Penh Muncipal Court deputy prosecutor Sieng Sok yesterday questioned Australian filmmaker James Ricketson about his connection to former opposition leader Sam Rainsy and documents he sent to his lawyer and an unnamed Australian prime minister. Mr Ricketson has been in jail since being arrested in June 2017 and charged with espionage after flying a drone to film a CNRP rally without authorisation.

During the third day of the trial yesterday, Mr Sok questioned Mr Ricketson over the documents he sent to his lawyer in 2013 and 2015. “‘Hun Sen has weapons, tanks and more than 10,000 bodyguards to protect him,’” Mr Sok read from the document. “What is the purpose of your writing? Where did you get this information from?” Mr Ricketson responded by saying that he was a journalist and that it was his job to cover stories on Cambodian politics.

“This is an opinion that I sent to my friend who’s a lawyer in Australia and my prime minister,” he said. “For this message, the court cannot charge me with espionage.” Mr Ricketson was also questioned over his contact with Mr Rainsy after an arrest warrant was issued for Mr Rainsy in 2015.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50526192/court-probes-ricketsons-cnrp-ties-2/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 24/08