Thai Airways Major Price Increase

Romeo1

I am a frequent traveller to Thailand ( 3-4 times a year).

My point of departure is and has been Dubai Intl Airport.

I went to go book my next flight in April and was SHOCKED to see my normal flight prices have almost tripled!!!!!

What was a normal flight cost of $530-$645 USD is now $1450.00!!!

I thought Ok this is just for SonKrans ( Thai New Year) but I punched in dates in May , July and September and kept coming up with the same $1450.00 price tag.

My company ( to be remained nameless) pays us up to $830.00 per ticket so Many Many Many of us workers went to Thailand on our holidays.

Many Workers went , Fell in Love and married Thai women.

Some even started businesses.

Now my 3-4 flights per year will cost me over $2000.00 USD every year.

Thai Airlines also made the biggest profit in the company history last year (2006)

Seems the Tourist now must pay for the new Airport!!

Can someone shed some more light on this subject?

:D:D:bah::o:D:D

I think that flight from Dubai is code share. Go with one of the code share partners and you will pay a lot less for the same flight.

The Gulf Air flight from Bahrain is code share with Thai and huge price differences apply on this flight too. My ticket purchased yesterday through Gulf Air cost $665.

Edited by Farma

I had the same problem when I tried to book on Singapore Airlines PER-BKK-PER so I could be in Thailand for Songkran. Their fare was coming up with a crazy $AUD6000. The reason was, during the month of January, some airlines only released fares until 31 March 2007.

The fact that Easter and Songkran falls in April means a lot of us tried to get in early and book during January.

From 01 February, you should get correct prices on (most) airlines for travel up to 30 June 2007.

Peter

It’s worth asking your travel agent if there are deals going. There are many ticket types and just checking on the airlines website can show very high fares in the results field.

I regularly buy tickets for flights that originate in a 3rd country but go via the country I want to depart from. It works out cheaper to buy these tickets and forget the unwanted legs to and from that 3rd country. As long as I notify the travel agent I won’t be using these legs I don’t have a problem.

My past experience with the Singapore airlines site came up with numbers similar to the one mentioned by peter991. The travel agent came up with a more reasonable fare.

I’ve just booked Thai Air flights from Bangkok to the Oz east coast return for 32,000B. The same flights last year were 28,500. With the increased fuel costs along with other factors this isn’t a huge increase.

I think the OP might have just come across a glitch in TG's notoriously nasty web IT system...in any case, like the others said, not all fares come on the web interface anyway, travel agent is the best way to go.

I just booked and paid to fly BNE (Brisbane, Australia) -> BKK -> KKC (Khon Kaen Thailand, arriving 09 April this year, flying back KKC -> BKK -> PER (Perth, Australia) on Thai Airways on 21 April 2007. All up 35,000 THB ($AUD1295).

Two quick questions, please.

1. Will I land at the NEW BKK Airport (BKK) or Don Muang (DMK) ?

2. Will I have to pay the new 700 THB departure tax or is it included in my ticket price?

Peter

I am a frequent traveller to Thailand ( 3-4 times a year).

My point of departure is and has been Dubai Intl Airport.

I went to go book my next flight in April and was SHOCKED to see my normal flight prices have almost tripled!!!!!

What was a normal flight cost of $530-$645 USD is now $1450.00!!!

I thought Ok this is just for SonKrans ( Thai New Year) but I punched in dates in May , July and September and kept coming up with the same $1450.00 price tag.

My company ( to be remained nameless) pays us up to $830.00 per ticket so Many Many Many of us workers went to Thailand on our holidays.

Many Workers went , Fell in Love and married Thai women.

Some even started businesses.

Now my 3-4 flights per year will cost me over $2000.00 USD every year.

Thai Airlines also made the biggest profit in the company history last year (2006)

Seems the Tourist now must pay for the new Airport!!

Can someone shed some more light on this subject?

:D:bah::bah::o:D:D

:D

I've found that the rates stated on the Thai International website are often much more expensive than a travel agent can get you by booking a Thai flight directly.

I travel from Athens to BKK and return about twice a year. I find that my local travel agent can book me on Thai business class for 75% of the prices quoted on the Thai website.

Don't know why that is, but it is a fact.

:o

I just booked and paid to fly BNE (Brisbane, Australia) -> BKK -> KKC (Khon Kaen Thailand, arriving 09 April this year, flying back KKC -> BKK -> PER (Perth, Australia) on Thai Airways on 21 April 2007. All up 35,000 THB ($AUD1295).

2. Will I have to pay the new 700 THB departure tax or is it included in my ticket price?

Peter

More than likley you will go to the new Airport. It will take several months to open Don Meong. ( Rome was not built in 1 day)

Peter

More than likley you will go to the new Airport. It will take several months to open Don Meong. ( Rome was not built in 1 day)

2) since 01.februari 2007 700 THB included in ticket price.

Peter

2) since 01.februari 2007 700 THB included in ticket price.

Whoopee! That accounts for 20 dollars...what about the rest of the large increase?