Clever New Scam by Fake Electricity Officer

snoop1130

Clever New Scam by Fake Electricity Officer

by CityNews

S__13295623-1024x576.jpg

CityNews – Two victims fell for fake electricity officer.

On August 2nd, Wachirakorn Boonreung, the owner of a hostel in Phra Sing was approached by a scammer who was in disguise as an electricity officer, including wearing a fake badge. 

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/clever-new-scam-fake-electricity-officer/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-9-4

If you clicked through and read the article, you'll learn that the victim indeed was past due with his electric bill, making him more vulnerable to this scam.  Yes, if you keep your life in order and don't try to cut corners you are much less likely to fall victim to scams.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NancyL said:

If you clicked through and read the article, you'll learn that the victim indeed was past due with his electric bill, making him more vulnerable to this scam.  Yes, if you keep your life in order and don't try to cut corners you are much less likely to fall victim to scams.

Very well said Nancy, keep things up to date, pay your bills on time, less chance of being scammed.

Pay your utility bills by direct debit, never behind with your payments, easy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NancyL said:

If they are targeting people with unpaid bills it's obviously an inside job. Probably the girlfriend of the scammer working in the office of the electricity company.

Smacks of stupidity from all sides.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very well said Nancy, keep things up to date, pay your bills on time, less chance of being scammed.

Pay your utility bills by direct debit, never behind with your payments, easy.

Yes that is of course good advice and what I do most of the time.  However, occasionally I'll forget to pay the bill and get the final notice, in which case I go and give 2000 baht cash to one of the motorbike taxi guys and ask him to go and pay the bill; or at least I used to until I discovered you can now pay the final notice at 7/11 which is only 100m from my condo!!  

17 hours ago, Cadbury said:

All scams like this in Thailand are clever. This one is called Scam 4.0. Many more to come.

My English friend in Pattaya about 10 years ago had the habit of taking selfie type photos of every so called "official" that came to his restaurant and bar whither in uniform or not informing them that he will later come to see them in their office. .It was not surprising how many of them never came back..He also sent copies to other bar owners for mutual protection.

Edited by AsiaHand
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

My English friend in Pattaya about 10 years ago had the habit of taking selfie type photos of every so called "official" that came to his restaurant and bar whither in uniform or not informing them that he will later come to see them in their office. .It was not surprising how many of them never came back..He also sent copies to other bar owners for mutual protection.

I try to document and record most of my daily activities on my phone while letting would be scammers know.

I've had to put PostScript on my bahtsold adverts, NO SCAMMERS please.  With more and more desperate for income this will increase. I hope they are teaching the kids well.

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

If the guy approached me the first question I would ask is how much is the outstanding bill and give the the last 5 meter readings.

Then I would take his photo for the police and the local PEA office.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, taotoo said:

That should do the trick.

The nonsense replies have stopped, but at the same time, the website owner said they had to go back to vetting all messages. But if you walk around town with a t-shirt that has written on it, " no scammers please"  it may help with annoyances.

Have a rippa day chappies