Moving to and applying for a UK spouse visa from a 3rd (EU) country

Hi...

I'm bored with hanging around in Thailand waiting for circumstances to change so that I have the miraculous £63,500 in my bank account.

I want to get back into the UK tax system and can do that I believe from any EU country. I'd like to take my wife and (dual national) daughter to an EU country for maybe a year until I am in the situation where I can complete a UK tax return or have the funds available.  Does anyone know if it's possible for my wife to apply for UK Spouse visa from another EU country or must she apply from Thailand? thanks...

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Curious what is the £63,500 that you refer too? I have never heard of it. I must be out of touch?

It's the savings that are required to apply for a settlement visa/FLR etc to meet the financial requirements without having to rely on a salary or self employment.  

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:49 AM, DavidOxon said:

Does anyone know if it's possible for my wife to apply for UK Spouse visa from another EU country or must she apply from Thailand? thanks...

UK visa applications must be made in the applicant's country of nationality or country of residence; so she can apply from a third country provided she is legally resident there.

At the moment you can use your British nationality to move to and live in another EU country under the Freedom of Movement Directive and your wife can accompany you. To do this you must be exercising an economic treaty right

• student,
  • job seeker (usually only for a maximum of three months),
  • worker, employed or self employed,
  • living on independent means such as a pension.

Procedures vary from member state to member state so you should check with whichever country you are thinking of.

Once you have lived in the other member state for sufficient time to have established the centre of your life there, you and your wife can then use the Surinder Singh judgement linked to by jimn to move to the UK using the FoM directive.

BUT!

20 hours ago, DavidOxon said:

Not sure how that fits in with Brexit mind you!

Exactly. 

At the moment the above still applies; but post Brexit, who knows?

Archived