Extension 12 months - Thai wife

Hi guys,

I am almost due to submit my request to extend my stay in Thailand for further 12 months.

I have Thai wife, and 2 kids... Last 2 requests went fine, but I have a question:
When shall I go to immigration to submit my request and documentation? I am allowed to stay until 24 October.
Should I go to Immigration in BKK not less than 30 days from the expiry date or?
Thanks to all in advance.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no minimum amount of time to do the extension application other than doing it on or before the last day.

At Chaeng Wattana immigration you can do the application up to 45 days early.

Thank you Ubonjoe, so theorically I could go even on 23rd October, am I correct? Obviously I won't wait that day, should any problem arise...

13 minutes ago, gyruss said:

Thank you Ubonjoe, so theorically I could go even on 23rd October, am I correct?

The is no theory to it. You could even go on the 24th if needed. But I suggest doing it a couple of weeks early at the least.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The is no theory to it. You could even go on the 24th if needed. But I suggest doing it a couple of weeks early at the least.

Ubonjoe,  please re-check this as a colleague of mine went to Chaeng Wattana last week, as he has done for years,  and was told that they are now insisting on 30 days prior to expiry maximum for renewal of extension due to marriage.  Now whether or not that varies from one officer or not I am not sure,  but that also tallies with a report I had from Jomtien recently stating the self same thing that  the 30 day prior rule will in future be strictly enforced. Certainly in Udon Thani it is because that is my local Immigration office.

19 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Ubonjoe,  please re-check this as a colleague of mine went to Chaeng Wattana last week, as he has done for years,  and was told that they are now insisting on 30 days prior to expiry maximum for renewal of extension due to marriage. 

Chaeng Wattana has been 45 days for some time now and I have seen no reports of that being changed.

Perhaps your friend was given incorrect info. 

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana has been 45 days for some time now and I have seen no reports of that being changed.

Perhaps your friend was given incorrect info. 

Well this was a report that it has changed as he was advised by an Immgration officer that indeed it was so. 

He has been getting his extensions due to marriage for 17 years now, the last few years at CW,  and this is the first time he was told by an immigration officer he can only do it in advance up to 30 days from now on.

The purpose of posting this was to advise people to apply within the defined guidelines of 30 days.  But if people want to try 45 days and then have to be troubled to repeat the process theni t is up to them.  I for one would not want to mislead people on what appears to be a tightening of the rules.

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Well this was a report that it has changed as he was advised by an Immgration officer that indeed it was so. 

A second hand report by one person is not enough to convince me it has changed.

A report by somebody that was not allowed to apply for their extension for doing it more than 30 day early would be enough.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A second hand report by one person is not enough to convince me it has changed.

A report by somebody that was not allowed to apply for their extension for doing it more than 30 day early would be enough.

Up to you.  It was for the benefit of others.