Huay Teung Tao Lake

mallmagician

Hi All,

Just to let people know that like Huay Teung Tao Lake, that there has appeared a Coffee Shop with WI-Fi internet at the Lakeside.

From what I can see they are selling decent coffee's, Coke etc, Beer.

Spoke to the owner today (I'm actually sat there now with my laptop!), and apparantly they are going to be doing a range of basic Farang food (Sandwiches/Toasties etc).

Anyway, thought I'd let you all know.

Oh, its on the Lakeside - turn right at the T-junction when you enter HTT, and then its on the left.

Cheers

Phil

Hi All,

Just to let people know that like Huay Teung Tao Lake, that there has appeared a Coffee Shop with WI-Fi internet at the Lakeside.

Spoke to the owner today (I'm actually sat there now with my laptop!), and apparantly they are going to be doing a range of basic Farang food (Sandwiches/Toasties etc).

Oh, its on the Lakeside - turn right at the T-junction when you enter HTT, and then its on the left.

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

still dont know how to get to this place. how do i get to HTT??? its somewhere in mae rim is it not??? please please someone help me with directions.

TB

Hi,

Its a couple of Km past the 700th Year Stadium (Stadium on your left). There is a blue sign on the road, directing you to it. (Its a left hand turn after the Stadium).

Hope this helps.

Ajarn put directions to it too in the Days Out Pinned thread at the top of the CM forum.

Cheers

Phil

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

still dont know how to get to this place. how do i get to HTT??? its somewhere in mae rim is it not??? please please someone help me with directions.

TB

Roughly, it's on the north end of 121 (klong road that passes the Night Safari, et all.) Near the end of the road, before it connects to Chotana (Mae Rim road) Hang a left on the paved road, drive approximately 3km to the entrance, which is 20 baht.

I just got back from a couple of hours of lazin' at the lake :o

Is that map released yet? Assume it's part of other maps of the North?

I want one. :o Could I get a signed copy? :D

Chanchao

Map's been out since the 1st week of November & costs a whopping great big 99 baht.

The map is not a part of another North Thai map, but the Mae Sa Valley / Samoeng loop only. And it's about time we had one, even if I have to say so myself.

For all you who thought you knew the Mae Sa Valley / Samoeng Loop and immediate Chiang Mai environs (with the 3 super highway ring roads) check out this map. It's good & accurate.

Now if you really insist on a signed copy, it will cost you a beer as well; but I'm off to Hongsa & Laos for the elephant festival Wed & wont be back until 21st-22nd Feb. So see you for a beer or two then if you really want to.

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

I do hope they would also have more traditional picnic food and drinks like kung ten (dancing shrimp) and Thai whiskey.

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

I do hope they would also have more traditional picnic food and drinks like kung ten (dancing shrimp) and Thai whiskey.

What to you is traditional thai whiskey?

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

So when are KFC and Pizza Hut moving in.. :o

> What to you is traditional thai whiskey?

Any locally produced liquor. (Thais often translate "Lao" with "whiskey" even though "liquor" would be more accurate.) So when talking about "Thai Whiskey" you can be talking about such things as Maekhong, Sang Som, Hong Thong, Varinthip, Cheng Chun and various distilled rice spirits.

All of these conveniently cought in the term 'Thai Whiskey', as opposed to overhyped 'import' and 'wannabe import' spirits as consumed by wannabe cool dudes & dudettes, preferably mixed with lots of ice, soda or green fanta.

(Then finally there's the tiny tiny tiny tiny market segment of 'actually nice' spirits, some nice brandies and single malts but that market is so small you might as well forget about it. (Especially in a 'Thai picnic' context.) :o

Edited by chanchao

> or all you who thought you knew the Mae Sa Valley / Samoeng Loop and immediate

> Chiang Mai environs (with the 3 super highway ring roads) check out this map. It's good & accurate.

Wheehee.. DavidGTR, The Nancy Chandler of Greater Chiang Mai. :o I'll go to DK this evening and get the map, then the signing ceremony can happen whenever you're back in town. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

Over my 20 plus years here, Huay Thung Tao lake has always impressed me. It has grown very little since I've been going there. Non-polluted waters, clean areas, and a limit on growth that I have not otherwise seen in Thailand. Coupled with excellent care, I think it is one of the best parts of Chiang Mai. How many natural places in Thailand can you swim at safely? The coke and internet thing is only a very small part of the lake, and I would not be expecting much growth.

Hi All,

Cheers

Phil

Over my 20 plus years here, Huay Thung Tao lake has always impressed me. It has grown very little since I've been going there. Non-polluted waters, clean areas, and a limit on growth that I have not otherwise seen in Thailand. Coupled with excellent care, I think it is one of the best parts of Chiang Mai. How many natural places in Thailand can you swim at safely? The coke and internet thing is only a very small part of the lake, and I would not be expecting much growth.

I hope you are right. It would be a ###### shame to see it ruined.. One of Chiang Mai's jewels.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear about the style of Coffee Shop. Starbucks its not. Its a nice countertop and tables serving coffee and coke/beer etc (As do the other 15 restaurants around the lake!).

It has been built in an existing structure, so there is no detriment to the landscaping etc.

With regard to the Farang style food, surely this is good news to some, as none of the other 15 restaurants appear to do this. If you want dancing shrimp and Thai whisky, you have plenty of other places there to choose from.

The WiFi internet cannot surely be regarded as obtrusive, as its just radio waves! :o

Seriously, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, go check it out. You'll see its not bad at all!

HTT is a jewel in Chiang Mai's crown, I agree with Ajarn. Whats wrong with polishing a jewel to make it shine slightly more?

Cheers

Phil

Maybe I didn't make myself clear about the style of Coffee Shop. Starbucks its not. Its a nice countertop and tables serving coffee and coke/beer etc (As do the other 15 restaurants around the lake!).

It has been built in an existing structure, so there is no detriment to the landscaping etc.

With regard to the Farang style food, surely this is good news to some, as none of the other 15 restaurants appear to do this. If you want dancing shrimp and Thai whisky, you have plenty of other places there to choose from.

The WiFi internet cannot surely be regarded as obtrusive, as its just radio waves! :o

Seriously, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, go check it out. You'll see its not bad at all!

HTT is a jewel in Chiang Mai's crown, I agree with Ajarn. Whats wrong with polishing a jewel to make it shine slightly more?

Cheers

Phil

Reason why there is no farang food is because there aren't many farangs. I hope it stays the same.

I don't think the fact that there is now the option of Farang food, will neccesarily increase vastly the number of Farangs visiting HTT.

However, those that do visit, now have the option.

IMHO its a welcome addition. Its nice to have choices.

I wish them all the best with their venture.

Cheers

Phil

I don't think the fact that there is now the option of Farang food, will neccesarily increase vastly the number of Farangs visiting HTT.

Cheers

Phil

I agree 100%

The availability of some farang food is not gonna change the place dramatically.

Most farang that do go there are with Thai wives, girlfriends and families anyway.

Even if there were to be an increase of farangs patronising the lake it is not going to overly detract from the general ambience of the place.

Cheers

Phil

In my experience with established Thai restarants, they rarely if ever add farang food to the menu without getting the farangs first

Yes Ajarn, I agree with that statement. Which is the exact reason I have not gone to those places when I am in the mood for "non-thai" food. I appreciate that Thai restaurants may like to keep the menu all Thai, just as I appreciate Mikes Burgers for just selling Farang food.

I think its great that people now have the choice at the lake. Heck, I've been here three times already since it opened. Its nice having a coffee and a sandwich at the lakeside.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.

Phil

last time i was out there i noticed a large area being graded near the entrance, on the outside. looks like(?) homes may be going in there.