Loud children yelling on my soi, why aren't they in school?

greenbottle555

39 minutes ago, greenbottle555 said:

There was a sign a few KM away at the rest stop that said something vague about stamping out or not tolerating child labor. It's clearly an issue in that region, else why put up a sign claiming to stamp out something that doesn't even exist...?

Do you have a better conclusion as to why sleepy children would be packed into a cattle truck and on the highway at 1 AM ?

There could be a vast multitude of reasons, I would advise caution when it comes to concluding with anything at all. There could have been a "moalam" in a village 10 kilometers away, and the youngest children allowed to attend preferred to go back together in the back of a cattle truck belonging to a family member of one or several of them.

I've seen a lot of weird stuff after living in a small village for quite some time starting almost a decade ago, never really heard of any of them being factory workers. I wouldn't rule it out as such, but jumping right to the conclusion that they were factory workers is ridiculous.

Why conclude with anything at all, when you know so little? All the information you have is an approximation of their age, the time of day and the type of vehicle they were in.

Edited by bergan
Added punchline

12 hours ago, greenbottle555 said:

Why would a local school bus be operating at 1AM on a saturday night hauling children who appear fatigued and depressed?

Ok, so you know "several poor children." There are millions of poor children in Issan, some more poor than the ones you personally know. Did it occur to you that maybe just because you know "several" children who have flatscreen TV's, that this example doesn't invalidate the fact that brutal working conditions exist for isaan children?

You have no idea what you are talking about, so you must be either a troll or in need of some help. OK please provide proof of who these children are, where are they working, and what kind of brutal conditions you are referring to. Also how did you manage to identify them, and see that they were sleepy from inside a moving bus at 1am in the morning. You are totally bonkers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, greenbottle555 said:

There was a sign a few KM away at the rest stop that said something vague about stamping out or not tolerating child labor. It's clearly an issue in that region, else why put up a sign claiming to stamp out something that doesn't even exist...?

Do you have a better conclusion as to why sleepy children would be packed into a cattle truck and on the highway at 1 AM ?

Why don't you ask your little friends, you know the ones in your head telling you to post these reports.

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:39 AM, greenbottle555 said:

unnngghh yeah I'll go breed a child and train him to silence loud kids.

The response to your original point was that it is the school holidays.

Is this the cause, or is the child permanently as you describe.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, greenbottle555 said:

That is concerning. I took a bus to Vientiane for a visa run. When I looked out the window at 1AM, I saw a pickup truck (with a mounted roof, the kind one might haul cattle with) transporting children between (I guess) 7-12. These children looked really tired like they were dosing off, but of course without seatbelts they weren't doing that because they would fall out of the pickup. It's really sad that Thai's in the Issaan area are so poor that they have to send their children to work in factories like that.

Who said those 7-year olds were so poor that they were being taken to work in factories? 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Who said those 7-year olds were so poor that they were being taken to work in factories? 

Greenbottle555, but he's not very well. What he probably saw was a lorry full of construction workers going home after a night time concrete pour, which they tend to do at night because of the heat and maybe the size of the pour.

• Like 1

After 10 years in Isaan, i have yet to see child labour, unless you count the kids helping mum in the family shop (out of school hours). And i have NEVER seen a child doing farm work. Generally, most are spoiled brats! Real work would soon start them crying!

The forced labour only starts once they leave school ..........

Ah, just remembered their was a young girl who used to be touted round the bars selling flowers in the evening (by her uncle i believe). Rumoured to have progressed to child prostitution.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 10:10 AM, greenbottle555 said:

There is a young boy who just keeps screaming "นี้นี้นี้" ...

This is the Bangkok forum, not the language forum. While it's obvious that the kid was screaming, it's presumption to assume most people will be able to read this.