Monday 26th February

Humphrey Bear

On Monday 26th February we (wife, daughter, maid, etc) will be moving house and by evening will be desparate for a bite and a beer.

So we will be in the Caddy Shack from 7.00 until 8.30 or 9.00 (daughter has school next day).

Anyone who is in the area and wishes to join us, the first local drink will be on me. (I may buy John Smiths for myself, but you buggers can have Chang, Beer Lao or local hooch :D:o if it's on me )

Please bring better halves / handbags / expensive toys if you have them, my wife needs to meet new faces.

I may linger longer - or collapse under the strain of the day. We're moving all of fifty metres down the road from our present (rented) house to a nicer (bought) one.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Are you still moving to across from me?

Remind me again HB as I have a memory like a sieve, About time we met up. :o

If I put a fence across the street to keep the soi dogs out - you're screwed!!

I will move in to the house the old Japanese couple have occupied. Their family want them to return to the Land of the Rising Sun.

i'll try and pop along with the wife, just out of curiosity how old's your daughter, reason i ask is mine is 3 1/2 and whether to bring her along or not.

BB

My daughter is 9 1/2 although she'd probably say 'Almost ten'.

But I also hope some other friends are coming with toddlers and above - all are welcome

[whats the location of the caddy shack :o

Soi 17 - if you know the Eden Hotel or the Harley Bar, it is just before you reach them from the Pattaya end. Or just after you pass them, if you're coming from the Tesco end of Theppraya.

Soi 17 starts from Second Road / Pratumnak, but it is bluddy awful driving up before you reach Third Road. So it's best to reach the Third Road (Sae Sam) and Pattaya Tai inwersection by CAT offices, then travel South along Third Road to the next set of lights. Turn left and keep going until you see Liberty Mansion on a sharp right-hand bend. Currently the road works stop you going straight on there, which is good, because you want to follow the road round to the right, along with most traffic. The road then swings left and Caddy Shack is a littl bit further on the left. Then comes Harley Bar, then Eden Hotel.

Apologies for any spelling errors, only the keyboard is in black, with brown characters - can't see a thing!!

As before - all are welcome.

I think they do jugs of draft Chang - I'm just going to check - time for lunch :D:D:D

Well, we've paid the money nand got the deeds.

The present owners are still on schedule to move out next weekend, so I will have a few days to move stuff in before I return to Saudi to try and earn enough money to pay for whatever is wrong with it - and there's always something wrong!

Going out now to celebrate - but as the wife has gone to work and daughter is in school - it'll be a pie 'n chips and draught beer at Caddy Shack!

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Keeping this going all by myself - will start moving-in tomorrow, previous owners returning to Japan tonight.

I really hope to see some of you on Monday, because by the following Monbday I'll be back in Saudi, no booze, nbo cinema, no theatre, so on.

Did you hear that last month in Jeddah the authorities raided a private party and arrested over 400 'foreigners'?

The charges included 'dancing with members of the opposite sex'. That was one of the main ones. Also 'being present where men and women not related to each other had congregated'.

Sentences on the first 20 to be tried have been 3-4 months in prison and an unspecified number of lashes. I am still trying to get more on this. British Consulate won't comment at the moment. I assume this was a Filipino celebration, but could be wrong.

Well, I don't know what happened. Did anyone show up?

I got to the place around 18.45, asked the lady at the cash point if anyone had been asking for me. Got a 'Huh?' as a reply. Asked again very loudly so that all in the place could hear me. No response.

Sat near the door for a quarter of an hour, nursing a large draft Chang, then wife, daughter and maid turn up and we order dinner.

I go to the bar and talk to the cashier lady again. "Hi, I'm Humphrey Bear. If anyone asks for me, I'm sitting there." - "Huh?" - "Humphrey Bear" - "No free beer" - "No, no, no. Me - I am Humphrey Bear" - "I say no free beer!!!" - "No want free beer. My name Humphrey Bear." - "Huh?"

So then I went back to my meal and checked out all people coming in to see if any were looking for me.

My meal was fine, accompanied by the second large draft Chang. But my wife and daughter shared a half-chicken with chips and peas. The chicken was scrawny and dry (road-kill standard) and the chips were from very old potatoes. I have had this same dish myself in the past couple of weeks and it has been OK, but this was dire. The maid ate the Thai-food-falang and made no comments.

Then the wife and accompanists left (about 20.15 by then) as daughter had school. I stayed on 'til about nine in the evening, but didn't have any takers for the non-existant 'free beer'.

So my apologies to any anonymous players who did make the trek - just a normal mis-communication between Thais and farangs, which screwed up the potential of a good evening.