What's the cost of a legal Win 10 license?

BurgerGung

6 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Why would you bother buying license and installing Win 7 and then upgrading when the Win 10 Pro OEM license will cost you the same.....

And BTW, there are excellent Win 7 hacks available, so you don't even need a license if you gonna install it.

using Win 7 Pro retail license, the upgrade yields a Windows 10 that isn't locked to the hardware, so I can upgrade CPU, GPU , the motherboard...

5 hours ago, manarak said:

using Win 7 Pro retail license, the upgrade yields a Windows 10 that isn't locked to the hardware, so I can upgrade CPU, GPU , the motherboard...

You can upgrade anything as long as you register you license with your Microsoft account. And it's only motherboard that would affect the licensing. But if you spend 5000+ baht on a new MoBo, I'm sure you can afford 150 baht for a new license, would it be needed.

I recently run into a problem like that, where ants ate through some capacitors and I had to replace the MoBo on a Win10 rig with electronic license upgraded from Win7 Pro. It told me to re-register Win10 , but if I had registered with my MS account I could recover the license. I've since added all my Win boxes to my MS account, just in case there are more ants on a warpath.

5 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

You can upgrade anything as long as you register you license with your Microsoft account. And it's only motherboard that would affect the licensing. But if you spend 5000+ baht on a new MoBo, I'm sure you can afford 150 baht for a new license, would it be needed.

I recently run into a problem like that, where ants ate through some capacitors and I had to replace the MoBo on a Win10 rig with electronic license upgraded from Win7 Pro. It told me to re-register Win10 , but if I had registered with my MS account I could recover the license. I've since added all my Win boxes to my MS account, just in case there are more ants on a warpath.

maybe you will say I'm nuts, but I have a deep and severe distrust towards microsoft accounts and all other kinds of internet data ogres, so I prefer to not use microsoft accounts.

so we have more or less 2 ways of achieving the same results.

4 hours ago, manarak said:

maybe you will say I'm nuts, but I have a deep and severe distrust towards microsoft accounts and all other kinds of internet data ogres, so I prefer to not use microsoft accounts.

so we have more or less 2 ways of achieving the same results.

Yes, I agree with you, I have an old Hotmail account that I used to register the license, after that I went back to using local account to login on Win10. Don't use that Hotmail for anything else, and removed or stopped all that spy shit that MS is so keen to include in their OS.

Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

I have a Thai Windows 10 pro that is now complaining it wants to be activated. Previous hacks don't seem to work.

I looked at Ebay and the activation keys cost under 84 Baht (well under £2) but they all say:

"How to use

The key must only be used with a fresh install of Windows 10 pro this is not a upgrade from home to pro and only works as a new install"

Any expert know if this means I have to start from scratch with a new install and reinstall my programs etc or can I just activate my current setup?

51 minutes ago, briley said:

I have a Thai Windows 10 pro that is now complaining it wants to be activated. Previous hacks don't seem to work.

I looked at Ebay and the activation keys cost under 84 Baht (well under £2) but they all say:

"How to use

The key must only be used with a fresh install of Windows 10 pro this is not a upgrade from home to pro and only works as a new install"

Any expert know if this means I have to start from scratch with a new install and reinstall my programs etc or can I just activate my current setup?

I am not ready to move to Windows 10 as yet but have researched a little bit about the upgrade process.  My research tells me you can go from Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows 10 Home Edition and if you want to go from Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows 10 Profession Edition you would need to do a clean install.

The licenses for both are pretty cheap, so I was thinking when they stop support for Windows 7, I would upgrade to Windows 10 Home Edition with one license, and when Windows 10 Home was installed, then upgrade to Windows 10 Professional with the second license.  This would save having to do a clean install, which I don't know how to do without a DVD, but might learn how to do it.  Would this also give me a spare Windows 10 Home Edition to put on another computer?

Has anyone done this?  Does it work?

Is Windows 10 Pro that much better than Windows 10 Home?  What extra features does it have?

KhunHeineken,

Windows Pro has some extra bits I find useful, but not everyone needs the extra. Think networking options was the biggest point for me. But since a pro licence is the same as a home licence why not go for the extra?

Except, you can still upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 (home to home or pro to pro only) free despite what Microsoft say and no need for a clean install.

You can download Windows 10 from microsoft direct, no need for a DVD or pirate stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briley said:

"How to use

Just activate.  I bought a license from Amazon for peanuts and that's what I did.  Working fine after a year no problems.

Edited by marcusarelus

6 minutes ago, briley said:

KhunHeineken,

Windows Pro has some extra bits I find useful, but not everyone needs the extra. Think networking options was the biggest point for me. But since a pro licence is the same as a home licence why not go for the extra?

Except, you can still upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 (home to home or pro to pro only) free despite what Microsoft say and no need for a clean install.

You can download Windows 10 from microsoft direct, no need for a DVD or pirate stuff.

Thanks for the reply.  Can I go from W7 Home to W10 Home and then from W10 Home to W10 Pro, on the same machine?  This would save a clean installation which I am not so confident on and don't want to spend hours, if not days, reloading everything.

Edited by KhunHeineken

15 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks for the reply.  Can I go from W7 Home to W10 Home and then from W10 Home to W10 Pro, on the same machine?  This would save a clean installation which I am not so confident on and don't want to spend hours, if not days, reloading everything.

If you are not confident about doing a clean install, I don't think you would notice the difference between Home & Pro. Stick with the easier stuff.

42 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Spend the $2 and buy a key

22 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am not ready to move to Windows 10 as yet but have researched a little bit about the upgrade process.  My research tells me you can go from Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows 10 Home Edition and if you want to go from Windows 7 Home Edition to Windows 10 Profession Edition you would need to do a clean install.

The licenses for both are pretty cheap, so I was thinking when they stop support for Windows 7, I would upgrade to Windows 10 Home Edition with one license, and when Windows 10 Home was installed, then upgrade to Windows 10 Professional with the second license.  This would save having to do a clean install, which I don't know how to do without a DVD, but might learn how to do it.  Would this also give me a spare Windows 10 Home Edition to put on another computer?

Has anyone done this?  Does it work?

Is Windows 10 Pro that much better than Windows 10 Home?  What extra features does it have?

Always go for Pro, as it allows you to defer the Feature Updates that can wreck your device when first released.

If you are adamant that you don't simply want to run a clean install, which would always be my recommendation(clean install to a solid state boot drive, keeping your existing HDD as the storage drive), then there is the possibility of an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 HP to Windows 7 Professional and then to 'úpgrade' to Windows 10 Pro from there.

Upgrade from 7 HP to 7/10 Pro need cost nothing. Reply with full model details of your device.

Edited by KneeDeep

On 11/19/2018 at 5:00 PM, briley said:

KhunHeineken,

I have since had a look at some of the differences between Windows 10 Home and Pro.  Most of the Windows 10 Pro stuff I will not use, but the Bit Locker feature looks like something I would use.  I think you can also encrypt USB drives with it as well. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 11/19/2018 at 5:10 PM, briley said:

Win 7 home to Win 10 home yes,

Win 10 home to Win 10 pro not sure - suggest you ask Google.

This is my question.  i can't seem to find the answer. Can you upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without a clean install, if originally coming from Windows 7 Pro?

On 11/19/2018 at 5:22 PM, wgdanson said:

If you are not confident about doing a clean install, I don't think you would notice the difference between Home & Pro. Stick with the easier stuff.

Like I said, I think the Bit Locker feature would be good, but I would like to avoid a clean install, if possible.  No problem reloading my photos and music, but all the programs and their settings would take many hours.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, marcusarelus said:

Spend the $2 and buy a key

Just to be clear, I don't want a pirate copy.  I don't want to save a few dollars by getting a pirate copy.  I have no problem paying the money. 

I have since looked into the difference between an OEM and Retail license key.  If I understand correctly, the OEM license key is only good for that one device, where the Retail license key is transferable to another device, if you have a big hardware failure.  As far as I can tell, this is the only difference. 

Like you say, license keys are cheap, but I am thinking they are OEM license keys.  The Retail license keys are not so cheap. 

I am still undecided if I really need the key to be transferable.  I'm thinking probably not, so a cheap OEM license key might be ok for me. 

If I have got all of this wrong, please let me know. 

Maybe someone can post on any benefits of Retail over OEM license keys.

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Just to be clear, I don't want a pirate copy.  I don't want to save a few dollars by getting a pirate copy.  I have no problem paying the money. 

I have since looked into the difference between an OEM and Retail license key.  If I understand correctly, the OEM license key is only good for that one device, where the Retail license key is transferable to another device, if you have a big hardware failure.  As far as I can tell, this is the only difference. 

Like you say, license keys are cheap, but I am thinking they are OEM license keys.  The Retail license keys are not so cheap. 

I am still undecided if I really need the key to be transferable.  I'm thinking probably not, so a cheap OEM license key might be ok for me. 

If I have got all of this wrong, please let me know. 

Maybe someone can post on any benefits of Retail over OEM license keys.

I didn't buy a pirate system.  I bought a legal key from a guy from India on Amazon.  1.  Buy the key.  2.  Load win 10 from Microsoft.  3.  When it asks for the key enter the number.  Not rocket science. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:02 PM, KneeDeep said:

Always go for Pro, as it allows you to defer the Feature Updates that can wreck your device when first released.

If you are adamant that you don't simply want to run a clean install, which would always be my recommendation(clean install to a solid state boot drive, keeping your existing HDD as the storage drive), then there is the possibility of an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 HP to Windows 7 Professional and then to 'úpgrade' to Windows 10 Pro from there.

Upgrade from 7 HP to 7/10 Pro need cost nothing. Reply with full model details of your device.

I agree with you KneeDeep.  If I'm going to spend some money, I would rather spend a little more and get the Pro version.  If I don't use all of the Pro features, maybe someone else might require them, either for themselves, or on my behalf.  It can't hurt to have them sitting there for just in case.  Also, I know a clean install is preferable, but that would make a lot of work to reload programs and settings. 

I really would like to hold off on Windows Updates as well.  I would like to chose when I install them, not Microsoft.  Delay Windows Updates, and Bit Locker, would be the features I would use in Pro.  The rest isn't relevant to me, but it can't hurt to have it sitting there.

I have got most of my information from this guy.  I will cross reference some of his information but he seems to know what he is talking about. The clip is about 1 year old.

I read I can't go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro without a clean install, so my plan was to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home, and then from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.  If this works, I could go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro without a clean install. 

A friend can do a clean install for me, so maybe I will just clean out the whole machine and put the work in.  At the moment, my computer is running fast and I have no complaints. 

This leads me to another question, what about programs that have a subscription, like my antivirus?  Does anyone know if these are effected when you upgrade?

Edited by KhunHeineken

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I agree with you KneeDeep.  If I'm going to spend some money, I would rather spend a little more and get the Pro version.  If I don't use all of the Pro features, maybe someone else might require them, either for themselves, or on my behalf.  It can't hurt to have them sitting there for just in case.  Also, I know a a clean install is preferable, but that would make a lot of work to reload programs and settings. 

I really would like to hold off on Windows Updates as well.  I would like to chose when I install them, not Microsoft.  Delay Windows Updates, and Bit Locker, would be the features I would use in Pro.  The rest isn't relevant to me, but it can't hurt to have it sitting there.

I have got most of my information from this guy.  I will cross reference some of his information but he seems to know what he is talking about. The clip is about 1 year old.

I read I can't go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro without a clean install, so my plan was to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home, and then from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.  If this works, I could go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro without a clean install. 

A friend can do a clean install for me, so maybe I will just clean out the whole machine and put the work in.  At the moment, my computer is running fast and I have no complaints. 

This leads me to another question, what about programs that have a subscription, like my antivirus?  Does anyone know if these are effected when you upgrade?

I went from 7 to 8 to 10 on one computer and from Ubunto to 10 on another.  I use Bitdefender and they sent me a link in email to load the program again. 

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't buy a pirate system.  I bought a legal key from a guy from India on Amazon.  1.  Buy the key.  2.  Load win 10 from Microsoft.  3.  When it asks for the key enter the number.  Not rocket science. 

I am capable of doing what you said.  If you read my posts, I have said I want to upgrade a Windows 7 Pro machine to Windows 10 Pro and also avoid a clean install.

I want to know if the method I have thought about will work, and also some opinions on OEM v Retail license keys. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I went from 7 to 8 to 10 on one computer and from Ubunto to 10 on another.  I use Bitdefender and they sent me a link in email to load the program again. 

What versions of each OS did you upgrade from and to, and can you explain more about the Bit Locker issue you had?

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am capable of doing what you said.  If you read my posts, I have said I want to upgrade a Windows 7 Pro machine to Windows 10 Pro and also avoid a clean install.

I want to know if the method I have thought about will work, and also some opinions on OEM v Retail license keys. 

I'd tell you if I knew but I upgraded a computer purchased with win 7 installed and went from there to 8 and then to 10.  The computer I bought the key for was one that I was running Ubuntu on so did a clean install.  Back up everything buy the cheapest license and try it.  I liked all of the upgrades so far.

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'd tell you if I knew but I upgraded a computer purchased with win 7 installed and went from there to 8 and then to 10.  The computer I bought the key for was one that I was running Ubuntu on so did a clean install.  Back up everything buy the cheapest license and try it. 

No problem, but I would really like to avoid all the work of reloading all my programs and settings, but might end up doing a clean install and putting the work in.  At least then I start with a clean slate, I suppose.