Overstay Dramas

3 stories this week from the Southern end. Firstly, a mini-bus with 8 farangs about to leave on a 1-day border run was surrounded by police and customs officials on Samui last week. 3 Farangs were carted off to the police station. The one i know of in detail was one day (ONE!) over the stamp-date. He was jailed for 3 hours (mugged and robbed of cash,watch and cigs while in one cell with 5 Thai men) then fined 10,000 baht.

More recently, 2 other farangs have been detained at Sadao and fined for small overstays also...precise details not known.

Is this a sudden clamp-down?

Anyone else hearing horror stories?

Rob

:o

3 stories this week from the Southern end. Firstly, a mini-bus with 8 farangs about to leave on a 1-day border run was surrounded by police and customs officials on Samui last week. 3 Farangs were carted off to the police station. The one i know of in detail was one day (ONE!) over the stamp-date. He was jailed for 3 hours (mugged and robbed of cash,watch and cigs while in one cell with 5 Thai men) then fined 10,000 baht.

More recently, 2 other farangs have been detained at Sadao and fined for small overstays also...precise details not known.

Rob

Check your calender, plan your trip in advance,

set yer alarm and off you go!

Hence no more horror stories. :D

Rob

Check your calender, plan your trip in advance,

set yer alarm and off you go!

Hence no more horror stories. :D

Great advice Noodles, but sadly they don't listen to a single word of it. This is the third world, so we first worlders please ourselves.

Complaining when the authorities jump on a "small" overstay makes as much sense as not worrying because your girlfriend is "only a little bit pregnant" .

Very true! Its all about being responsible. :o

Remove girls, drugs and booze from the equation, the overstay problem will vastly improve.

Complaining when the authorities jump on a "small" overstay makes as much sense as not worrying because your girlfriend is "only a little bit pregnant" .

Very true! Its all about being responsible. :o

Remove girls, drugs and booze from the equation, the overstay problem will vastly improve.

Certainly - if only because then the overstayers would not come in the first place! :D

Thanks for the replies, but you haven't been any help! In fact apart from a lot of wind about "shouldn't do it in the first place" there have been no actual ANSWERS to my question.

ONE day overstay has never counted before...I can quote your own forum and info on this. The second day counts, plus the first...ie 2 days overstay. There is a standard fine per day (forget if it is now 200b or 500b...doesn't matter).....

So.....why have the Thai Authorities suddenly started detaining people and fining them HUGE sums (10,000 baht) for one day overstays?

Does anybody have any INFORMATION about this (ie rather than chatty observations about the nature of life...)?

Rob

Just a thought...and perhaps to answer my own question.....

If you visa has expired...by even only one day...then you are in the country without a valid visa...and this is illegal...right?

If you are apprehended inside the coutry with an invalid visa...this is a punishable offernce with up to 20,000b fine and/or deportation...right?

BUT if you leave the country and surrender/declare the overstay, this is not punishable...other than by the fine per day overstay? Am I correct?

If so this is starting to make some sense.

Any observations on this?

Rob

Thanks for the replies, but you haven't been any help! In fact apart from a lot of wind about "shouldn't do it in the first place" there have been no actual ANSWERS to my question.

ONE day overstay has never counted before...I can quote your own forum and info on this. The second day counts, plus the first...ie 2 days overstay. There is a standard fine per day (forget if it is now 200b or 500b...doesn't matter).....

So.....why have the Thai Authorities suddenly started detaining people and fining them HUGE sums (10,000 baht) for one day overstays?

Does anybody have any INFORMATION about this (ie rather than chatty observations about the nature of life...)?

Rob

The Baht 200 per day fine for Overstay only applies if you show up at the Airport with a valid outbound ticket for the same day. As stated many times on this Forum - if you get caught before you make it to the Immigration counter at the Airport then you will be in deep trouble .... large fines and detention, deportation and possibly PNG'd .

Don't Overstay - and if you do, don't get pulled over before you reach the Immigration counter at the Airport ...... until you get there you are at risk.

Rob

I would say that they sound like isolated incidents but I could be wrong

This type of uncivilized harassment of tourists will only lead to less tourists for Thailand. Wealthy family oriented tourists will be scared off by these stories.

A friend of mine overstayed his visa in Costa Rica for 6 YEARS. I asked him how he got out of the country so he just says he flew, went to the airport presented his passport from 6 years ago and that was it.

I asked what did they say, 6 years overstay? He says: nothing, why you ask?

Costa Rica has the reputation of being a very civilized place and is able to attract the kind of tourist Thailand, or any country would like to attract.

This type of uncivilized harassment of tourists will only lead to less tourists for Thailand. Wealthy family oriented tourists will be scared off by these stories.

A friend of mine overstayed his visa in Costa Rica for 6 YEARS. I asked him how he got out of the country so he just says he flew, went to the airport presented his passport from 6 years ago and that was it.

Costa Rica has the reputation of being a very civilized place and is able to attract the kind of tourist Thailand, or any country would like to attract.

I wonder how the authorities in your country treat overstayers.

Nonesense.

No intelligent or responsible Tourist would be surprised that a country - any country - has laws about Immigration, Visas etc. and to call it "uncivilised harrassment" when those laws are enforced is preposterous; it's not as if it is difficult to stay "legal" as a tourist - Visa extensions and renewals are easily obtainable except for the lazy or illegal.

Thailand has particular problems with "overstayers" and "visa runners" working without permission in Thailand, earning money here but paying no Tax - even assuming their occupation would be permitted if they applied for a work permit.

In my opinion it's the irresponsible, illegal and "I can ignore the rules because I am a westerner" attitudes which are a major cause of the increasing day to day irritations Farang experience in Thailand.

Obey the rules, leave, or accept the consequences.

No intelligent or responsible Tourist would be surprised that a country - any country - has laws about Immigration, Visas etc. and to call it "uncivilised harrassment" when those laws are enforced is preposterous; it's not as if it is difficult to stay "legal" as a tourist - Visa extensions and renewals are easily obtainable except for the lazy or illegal.

Sorry to have to explain basic civil behavior to you but when a one day overstay is arrested, thrown in jail, beaten and robbed responsibe tourists will stay away from that country.

Giving Thailand's pathetic legal system a pass is to use your word nonsense

Chookdee

Sorry to have to explain basic civil behavior to you but when a one day overstay is arrested, thrown in jail, beaten and robbed responsibe tourists will stay away from that country.

a responsible tourist would not overstay.

it would be good to be able to find out more about the circumstances of that incident and what actually led up to it.

but arrested,thrown in jail and beaten !!! you make it sound like "midnight express"

if a tourist was arrested (detained),thrown in jail(asked to sit in that holding cell with those thais until we can sort you out) for only 3 hours for a minor offence, and a one day overstay, for whatever reason, is a minor offence,then the police,even the thai police, should be able to take care of the prisoner,(detainee)

maybe the story teller, the one who was robbed (the robbery that became the mugging that became the beating) indulged in some embellishment of the story.

as i said it would be nice to know some more details.

Actually, this is totally unreasonable. We are foreigners here spending money and this is what we get in return just for overstaying for one day. Yes, If you do overstay on your visa and the police check your passport I think their is an additional fine to pay. In this case, I think the police abused their power like they always do. I would complain to your embassy and other Thai law enforcement authorities. I think everybody should inform their embassies about these human rights abuses by the Thai security forces. All of you other people that think it is okay for the Thai security to abuse us foreigners for overstaying their visa for one day are sick in the head.

Actually, this is totally unreasonable. We are foreigners here spending money and this is what we get in return just for overstaying for one day. Yes, If you do overstay on your visa and the police check your passport I think their is an additional fine to pay. In this case, I think the police abused their power like they always do. I would complain to your embassy and other Thai law enforcement authorities. I think everybody should inform their embassies about these human rights abuses by the Thai security forces. All of you other people that think it is okay for the Thai security to abuse us foreigners for overstaying their visa for one day are sick in the head.

I, and I am sure many Thais, get very tired of Farangs here using the constant justification that "I am spending my money in Thailand" as an excuse for disregarding or disobeying the law.

If you think your money buys you immunity take it somewhere else, it won't be missed here.

Theres the answer in a nutshell.

When you overstay because you can't be bothered to renew your visa like the vast

majority of people and get in trouble with the Thai authorities get them to phone the Costa Rican authorities.

As they are very civilised I am sure they will sort out the nasty Thai's for you.

You know what this country is like or I hope you do so the answer is quite simple

play by their rules as they can do much more to you than you can do to them.

I absolutely agree that If you choose to live in Thailand you MUST live by "their" rules.

That does not mean you have to like all of the rules. This forum should be a place where someone can voice their views even if everyone does not agree. Yet when someone states they dislike one or more aspects of Thailand they are told to get out.

Who here thinks being jailed for a one day overstay is fair? I for one do not I have never done it myself but I don't see it as something so severe.

Sure fine him 1,000 baht or so and send him way. Long term overstays are another story entirely and should be dealt with more harshly.

Laws are put in place to give order to society not to give those that enforce the law "God-like" powers over us.

Just voicing my opinion and I refuse to apologize for having one.