Swiss Swindler Arrested After Stabbing Policeman

george

As a Swiss myself, i would like to add my 2 cents:

- there is not one Carlos Minnig registered in phone directory of Switzerland

- it is not a Swiss name. Rather Spanish.

- He doesn't look Swiss either. How do they know, when they didn't see his passport?

- Swiss don't extort money from each other. This is simply a business not known here. Go to Italy.

Strange story and to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if I am repeating posts here (did not bother to read all the b*******T!) but .... hey look all you farangs; THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THEY DONT WANT US HERE.... quality tourists or nor not!

^Don't feed the troll!

Yea..and what have the Italians and Spanish done to you Strauss?

Call yourself a swiss?

Well, honestly he doesn't look very Swiss to me but not very British either like one of the posters suggested.

Maybe Mr. 'super clean' businessman knows him from previous dealings and told told them so.

Can't help it but an SMS like, let's say:'Hi, I'm from Winchester in England and I want your money or I'll kill your hamster' doesn't sound right to me.

Have any of you been in that kind of situation before?

Because, if you havn't, I can assure you it's not nice. The ink off the fingerprint stuff lasts forever, the people come in with cameras and "flash around". It's not very nice - and that's as big an understatement as I can make.

It certainly dosn't look good for this person as he seems to have stabbed a police officer, but for all of you who speak vengence (with few posts) and tear into him from a rascist point of view :

Live on.

It dosn't look good for him though.

Have any of you been in that kind of situation before?

Because, if you havn't, I can assure you it's not nice. The ink off the fingerprint stuff lasts forever, the people come in with cameras and "flash around". It's not very nice - and that's as big an understatement as I can make.

Sounds like you have. :o Care to elaborate? No details necessary.

- there is not one Carlos Minnig registered in phone directory of Switzerland

- it is not a Swiss name. Rather Spanish.

- He doesn't look Swiss either. How do they know, when they didn't see his passport?

- Swiss don't extort money from each other. This is simply a business not known here. Go to Italy.

Strange story and to be taken with a grain of salt.

and WHY should he been registred in swiss telephone directory if he is living in Asia @ Mr. Strauss??

furthermore it seems to me like a swiss guy and a swiss name, you will find some ppl with the name in Bern Zurich and other swiss citys....dont belive? just GOOGLE :o

bad luck for him but, he deserves jail for a crime like that......if the story is true.........

good to see police doing their job... i am getting the feeling that police is currently getting better.

personally I don't care very much if the criminal is swiss or anything else. i assume the other swiss guy told the police he is swiss so chances are he is. but... who cares?! where is this world going when even expats are racist/nationalistic?

Two guys come rushing out of the jungle and begin, what you think, is an attack on you.

In self defense, you brandish that knife your carrying for cleaning your fingernails and attempt to put up a defense as best you can.

Survival instincts take over, your out numbered, stabbing motions are made on TWO thugs who are attempting to perhaps, cause great bodily harm to you. You see a flash of metal waving about..."oh my god there going to kill me"

Your honor, what the defendant thought he saw, was not the badges of the officers, but a weapon of sorts, possilby a stabbing instrument flailing around. Hence his natural response of self defense.

Your honor, any person faced with this onslaught of sheer fear and terror would do the very same thing.

I respectfully request that the charge of assault be dismissed your honor, as it was committed during an act of self defense.

Good point, Mr. Strauss, but he said he was Swiss and this was absolutely confirmed by the TAG Heuer watch he was wearing (not viewable in the photo).

Mr. Strauss is right, he doesn't look like a 100% Swiss.

He's probably a Japanese/Korean-Swiss, born out of a Korean mother and a guestworker from Japan working in a restaurant in Switzerland who was born out of a mixed marriage between an Italian/Chinese and the Consul of Russia.

The (unseen) TAG Heuer watch was -most likely- inherited from his greatgrandfather from Brasil. That's why he has a Swiss passport

LaoPo

Mr. Strauss is right, he doesn't look like a 100% Swiss.

He's probably a Japanese/Korean-Swiss, born out of a Korean mother and a guestworker from Japan working in a restaurant in Switzerland who was born out of a mixed marriage between an Italian/Chinese and the Consul of Russia.

The (unseen) TAG Heuer watch was -most likely- inherited from his greatgrandfather from Brasil. That's why he has a Swiss passport

LaoPo

Well done LaoPo, that had me in bits! :o:D

Two guys come rushing out of the jungle and begin, what you think, is an attack on you.

In self defense, you brandish that knife your carrying for cleaning your fingernails and attempt to put up a defense as best you can.

Survival instincts take over, your out numbered, stabbing motions are made on TWO thugs who are attempting to perhaps, cause great bodily harm to you. You see a flash of metal waving about..."oh my god there going to kill me"

Your honor, what the defendant thought he saw, was not the badges of the officers, but a weapon of sorts, possilby a stabbing instrument flailing around. Hence his natural response of self defense.

Your honor, any person faced with this onslaught of sheer fear and terror would do the very same thing.

I respectfully request that the charge of assault be dismissed your honor, as it was committed during an act of self defense.

===================================================================

Naaaahhhh; you got that all wrong; the good Swiss man was just about to peel an orange (Vitamin-C ! !) and just then, these "thugs" came at him. Of course his "Swiss Army Knife" was already open en the mufty-cop simply "walked into it" . . . . . . . . could happen to any of us, hey ? ? ? ?

post-10410-1172023935.jpg

Personally I don't find his "citizenship" or his "Nationality" a very interesting issue; but as a human being I reckon, he has failed misserably.

Incidentally; some poster suggested he would have 'earned' 10 years in the slammer; forget it mate; with those kinds of charges he's looking at at least three (3) times that term.

The cop wasn't seriously injured because the Swiss guy stabbed him with a swiss army penknife.

With the "magnifying glass" utensil. :D

From the photo posted, it looks like the cops are having a job restraining themselves, even at the press photo junket. Guy is going to do some hard time. :o

I'm with Jaapfries in finding the focus on Minnig's ethnicity curious. "Swiss" nationals can be German, Italian, French, or any one else with at least one Swiss parent and who was born in Switzerland. How does nationality or ethnicity make any difference to his actions?

Am impressed with the actions of Thai police here in acting on a farang's serious and apparently legitimate complaint. Restores a bit of faith in the Boys in Brown and is a nice change from tales of police corruption, <deleted>'s, etc.

u only know what u read. for all you know this was one big set up.

like the man siad he might have lent someone some money and they did not want to pay it back. which might upset you a little hence losing the plot and stabbing a copper. yet they were under cover. maybe he didn;t know it was a policeman.

the full story is not always what is there read in the paper.

no doubt he will right a book in a few years explaining.

maybe he was being extorted and wanted his money back. i have been in sitiuations where u have to threaten someone to get your money back. that is why i never lend out large amounts.

anywone read the book welcome to hel_l. were the Irish man gets conned catched the criminals then ends up in jail himself. for murder of a a mand whos body was never found. he is probably reading this,

don't beleive anything out here,

Edited by BigC

Good point, Mr. Strauss, but he said he was Swiss and this was absolutely confirmed by the TAG Heuer watch he was wearing (not viewable in the photo).

yes it said swis national. like a half thai half swiss or something i dunno but he curtianly don;t loo swiss maybe mexican. seem like a load of rubbish to me. something ain;t right

To see mini-video of News story go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=205237

A Swiss man in Phuket was arrested for allegedly extorting another Swiss man & resort owner in Krabi

Phuket Tourist Police arrested a 39 year old Swiss national for allegedly extorting a Swiss businessman and his Thai wife who own a resort on Lanta Island in Krabi. The suspect, Mr Carlos Minnig was arrested in Phuket on Monday evening by an undercover policeman when the resort owner met the suspect with the police officer disguised as a taxi driver, to give him money as demanded by the suspect. The arrest took place after the resort owner reported to police that the suspect Minnig had been demanding a protection fee from him and asked him to deliver him some money in Phuket. According to the couple, Minnig threatened to harm their family if he refused to give him the protection fee. The man was arrested with evidence including handcuffs, & dry marijuana. He was charged with extortion, illegal immigration, drug possession and he pleaded guilty already. Police will continue investigations to lead to other members of his gang, who are believed to be some Thais.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV channel 1, Wednesday 21 February 2007 & www.ThaisNews.com { Our news text and videos can be freely copied, but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}