Death Threat At Mcdonalds

kippers

I find kicking their seat for a bit gets them to put it up if they are still reclined during meals. When/if they turn around to give me a dirty look I smile & say thanks for putting the seat up, was haivng trouble getting confy with my tray shelf down as the space is soooo limited. :D Say it in a totally unsarcastic voice & they usually turn around without a word or look. :D I couldn't care less if it pisses them off, there is a bcasic common courtesy in confined spaces & if they don't know it I am happy to re-educate. :o

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find kicking their seat for a bit gets them to put it up if they are still reclined during meals. When/if they turn around to give me a dirty look I smile & say thanks for putting the seat up, was haivng trouble getting confy with my tray shelf down as the space is soooo limited. :D Say it in a totally unsarcastic voice & they usually turn around without a word or look. :D I couldn't care less if it pisses them off, there is a bcasic common courtesy in confined spaces & if they don't know it I am happy to re-educate. :o

If I am sat infront of you Boo I can guarantee that my seat behaviour will conform to the most rigorous of etiquette standards :D ......... I hate the kidney kick :D

Time to update yours and other posters' technique... Get the "Knee Defender":

b01i.jpg

Ira Goldman with his invention, the Knee Defender, a beeper-sized block of plastic that lets airline passengers prevent the seat in front of them from reclining.

b01ai.jpg

Device shields travelers' legs

WASHINGTON — Every cramped air traveler may have the right to lean his seat back, but Ira Goldman sees airplane justice from another perspective — that of the person behind — and he's found a way to even the score.

Goldman invented the Knee Defender, a beeper-sized block of plastic that lets passengers prevent the seat in front of them from reclining.

The gadget, which went on sale about a month ago on the Internet for $10, has sparked heated debate in online chat rooms, and aviation officials worry about the disagreements that will be generated at 30,000 feet.

Alison Duquette, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the product violates no FAA regulations, so it would be up to individual airlines to prohibit it. Although the FAA has not tested the Knee Defender, it sought to discourage people from using anything that would "alter the performance of any part of an airplane."

Northwest Airlines said it will ban the Knee Defender from all flights. Other carriers, such as American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, acknowledged concerns about safety — not to mention the comfort of passengers who want to recline — but are still figuring out what to do.

The safety concerns stem from the design, because the Knee Defender works only when the tray table is down. The hard plastic block, which has an inch-wide groove down the middle, fits around the arm of a tray table and acts as a barrier to the seat's backward movement.

"We have tested this product on several seat types and find that when installed, should someone try to force the seat to recline, the tray table assembly can break," said Mary Stanik, a Northwest spokeswoman. "If the seat is damaged, including the tray table, in flight, it may adversely affect passenger evacuation in the event of an emergency."

Goldman said he would stop selling the product if the airlines prove it unsafe, but so far he's unmoved by their arguments. The 50-year-old Washington, D.C., resident, who's 6-foot-4, said he didn't invent Knee Defender so fliers would be able to "hog scarce space," but rather for the physical well-being of tall travelers like himself.

"If I hadn't been bashed in the knees over and over again, this wouldn't have been invented," said Goldman, who estimated that nearly 1,000 Knee Defenders have been ordered. At the very least, he said the device could be a useful "early warning system" for long-legged fliers or people using laptops, enabling them to ask the passenger in front not to recline.

"Be polite to fellow passengers," says a sticker affixed to each Knee Defender.

Kevin Gross of San Francisco, who ordered a Knee Defender but hasn't yet used it, said he would immediately remove the device if asked to by a passenger or flight attendant.

Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

b01i.jpg

Ira Goldman with his invention, the Knee Defender, a beeper-sized block of plastic that lets airline passengers prevent the seat in front of them from reclining.

b01ai.jpg

WASHINGTON — Every cramped air traveler may have the right to lean his seat back, but Ira Goldman sees airplane justice from another perspective — that of the person behind — and he's found a way to even the score.

Goldman invented the Knee Defender, a beeper-sized block of plastic that lets passengers prevent the seat in front of them from reclining.

The gadget, which went on sale about a month ago on the Internet for $10, has sparked heated debate in online chat rooms, and aviation officials worry about the disagreements that will be generated at 30,000 feet.

Alison Duquette, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the product violates no FAA regulations, so it would be up to individual airlines to prohibit it. Although the FAA has not tested the Knee Defender, it sought to discourage people from using anything that would "alter the performance of any part of an airplane."

Northwest Airlines said it will ban the Knee Defender from all flights. Other carriers, such as American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, acknowledged concerns about safety — not to mention the comfort of passengers who want to recline — but are still figuring out what to do.

The safety concerns stem from the design, because the Knee Defender works only when the tray table is down. The hard plastic block, which has an inch-wide groove down the middle, fits around the arm of a tray table and acts as a barrier to the seat's backward movement.

"We have tested this product on several seat types and find that when installed, should someone try to force the seat to recline, the tray table assembly can break," said Mary Stanik, a Northwest spokeswoman. "If the seat is damaged, including the tray table, in flight, it may adversely affect passenger evacuation in the event of an emergency."

Goldman said he would stop selling the product if the airlines prove it unsafe, but so far he's unmoved by their arguments. The 50-year-old Washington, D.C., resident, who's 6-foot-4, said he didn't invent Knee Defender so fliers would be able to "hog scarce space," but rather for the physical well-being of tall travelers like himself.

"If I hadn't been bashed in the knees over and over again, this wouldn't have been invented," said Goldman, who estimated that nearly 1,000 Knee Defenders have been ordered. At the very least, he said the device could be a useful "early warning system" for long-legged fliers or people using laptops, enabling them to ask the passenger in front not to recline.

Kevin Gross of San Francisco, who ordered a Knee Defender but hasn't yet used it, said he would immediately remove the device if asked to by a passenger or flight attendant.

Associated Press

kneedefender-crop-150.jpg

Perhaps they can add a Zap button to the arm console? Basically gives the seat ahead of you a mild electrical jolt, in order to remind ones courtesy for the person behind them. :o

I assume you never recline your seat when flying then.Otherwise you could be the first to have the "zapbutton" tested on.

Perhaps they can add a Zap button to the arm console? Basically gives the seat ahead of you a mild electrical jolt, in order to remind ones courtesy for the person behind them. :D

I assume you never recline your seat when flying then.Otherwise you could be the first to have the "zapbutton" tested on.

Actually I rarely recline!!! :o

Edited by britmaveric

b01i.jpg

b01ai.jpg

Associated Press

Excuse me - when did the seat tray start having a prop to hold it up ??

The kidney kick is effective, but having long legs I sometimes just jam my knees into the seat-back and leave them there for an hour or so. Not effective, painful to me, but I get the satisfaction of knowing the guy in front hasn't enjoyed his flight either.

I was once asked by my Thai employer to buy three motorbikes. I went around the local shops and chose a local Honda main dealer who had three 125R's in stock (nice colours too..) and seemed like a decent guy. It was company money, so I didn't bargain the price down, but asked him to put baskets on the front of the bikes, which he agreed to.

A week later, I went to pick up the bikes.

Everything was ready.

I paid, and the bikes were brought out - minus the baskets. The baskets are only a 100 baht each, but on principle I asked for them to be fitted. I spent the next two hours listening to every excuse why I had to buy them for 100 baht each. In the end the manager came out (in front of his five staff) and said "sorry that promotion ended yesterday, now go." But, a little more rudely than that.

Obviously, I was irrate.

I don't think he'd had a foreigner walk up to his nose before and call him "a fukin c#$@." with quite such animation. I then threw all the sets of keys at his feet and said he can keep the bikes.

Ten minutes later the bikes were delivered to me, fitted with baskets - free.

A 99,000 baht deal at list price and they wanted to be rude over 300 baht.

Now, some posters will say that I'm lucky not to have been shot. For what? Standing my corner, when I'm in the right.

Thais, English, Mongolian, we all know when we are out of order, and we know that we shouldn't make threats like the MacD guy did.

That's an incredible case of being treated badly.

Here's a good one for you:

A while back I took my rental bike back to the shop to have a flat repaired. They had failed to tighten the wheel nut properly and a few weeks later I noticed it was gone. I went back to the shop where they fastened a new wheel nut....and then charged me for it!

I didn't bother arguing about it as the cost was so minimal...just shook my head and walked away. :o

I've lived in Asia for quite a while (first Philippines and now here) and I've become been quite good at biting my tougue and keeping my mouth shut in the face of "weird" treatment by locals....but occasionally I slip up. I just hope the next guy is not carrying a gun. :D

Edited by tropo

what do you expect in a junk food outlet ? he is on a lousy salary and gets free burgers so must be tetchy ,you cant expect diplomacy on his salary . its just a quick in and out place with no time for the niceties.

What a load of garbage :D

"I'm poor so I can threaten your life" :o

No excuse.

I would have taken my digi cam and make an instant mug shot of the guy and also that manager lady.

Then report the death thread to both, police and McThai.

Mind you, I did the short-distance mug shot before with a Baht Bus driver going berzerk (tried to rip-off the wrong one) and members of a motorcycle gang.

If you show fear, you only approve their action.

/dit; shpellink

Edited by raro

I would have taken my digi cam and make an instant mug shot of the guy and also that manager lady.

Then report the death thread to both, police and McThai.

Mind you, I did the short-distance mug shot before with a Baht Bus driver going berzerk (tried to rip-off the wrong one) and members of a motorcycle gang.

If you show fear, you only approve their action.

/dit; shpellink

So, maybe not lose your life, just your digi-cam ???

People in general in this day and age have poor manners. This is not exclusively a Thai experience. A essentially non englsih speaker, probably has less language skills, to express their bad manners. I live in the USA and I can assure you people here are generally lacking in good manners and class.

Last night about 10.30 I went to McDonalds on Sukhumvit for a late dinner after driving down from Bangkok, After waiting for 15 mins to get the food it was given to me without comment, when i asked for the server if he could possibly say thankyou, he responded with " I look your face, I see you in Pattaya, you are dead!" I thought that McDonalds had a stict code of conduct, Perhaps I was most offended when I called over the female manager, who looked at me and then walked away totally ignoring me.

I received a comment from my 10 year old in the back seat asking why they are so rude, I was absolutely speechless to answer.

I've been living in Pattaya & Bangkok for the last 8 years and accept most things as culture differences but this is riduculous.

If anyone knows the contact address of the head office of McDonalds, I would like to fill them in on this shocking experience.

For what it`s worth my input on this is as follows:-

1.The employee was wrong in saying what he said to the OP, probably young and stressed at the time (although I wish I had a 100 baht for everytime I have not been thanked in my life. I`d be on my yacht now and not posting on TV)

2. It would be interesting to know exactly what the OP asked the `server` and what tone it was said in. It does not look as though we have the full verbal request here and what has the server to thank the OP for? This part loses me.

3. In my opinion It is not the OP`s job to educate the `server` as to his manners this is down to the Management of the establishment.

4. To the OP `get over it` and move on. By following this up you will only antagonise the situation further.

Yes the employee was wrong by saying what he did but making him lose face will not improve his manners.

I have eaten in Macdonalds and ordered food which I have had to wait for sometimes up to 5 minutes and sometimes queued for as long, I thought that this was part of the self sevice way of eating but why should the server thank me for waiting or paying? It`s the food I`m after and thank you or not would not spoil my meal :o

Bravo, Foxy. NYC is infamous for some of the most snappy & cocky characters in food service at places like Mc D's, Burger King, etc. It's pointless to try to teach etiquette to some young'n earning minimum wage who most likely doesn't give an F about losing his <deleted> job. We can't expect 5-star service, especially at a fastfood joint.

We can't expect 5-star service, especially at a fastfood joint.

If death threats are only four star service to you, you'd make an interesting food critic.

We aren't talking about rude and indifferent here, we're talking about telling your customer you are going to kill them.

We can't expect 5-star service, especially at a fastfood joint.

If death threats are only four star service to you, you'd make an interesting food critic.

We aren't talking about rude and indifferent here, we're talking about telling your customer you are going to kill them.

I agree. I've had some pretty bad service at different restaurants here in the States and I've never had my life threatened. I would just report it to the main office and give them as much information as possible.

The server is obviously a retarded, but you asking for a thank you, at a Mc Donald, lol. You are not the brightest ball it the tree for sure. And please don't bring here the "principle" thing, 'cause it's totally out of the real world.

Common sense, should have told you to eat and walk away. It's a freaking MC' Donald not chez Maxim.

Just the right way to put yourself in trouble, here, in Italy , in US....

Edited by KhunMarco

People in general in this day and age have poor manners. This is not exclusively a Thai experience. A essentially non englsih speaker, probably has less language skills, to express their bad manners. I live in the USA and I can assure you people here are generally lacking in good manners and class.

Not true, thats just you having a go at the yanks.

Great service in the states in the fast food industry.

After living in Pattaya for several years, it seems to me it is wrong to expect what used to be termed 'good manners' from Thai's --- or virtually any other race of people who are under the age of 40. Of course as any rational person knows, there are exceptions to this generalisation.

Pattaya seems to attract a certain breed of foreigner, (especially Brits), who are sadly mostly lacking in manners of any kind, whether holding the door open in a shopping centre for the one behind, to smashing into you when walking by and not apologising.

To expect it from a fast food worker from a different culture, in what can only be termed the most depraved, disgusting and desperate part of Thailand which I have had the misfortune to visit, is not only stupid, but shows a lack of understanding both of Thai culture and the general state of the world today.

My teenage son summed it up perfectly --- he calls them the 'FUMF' generations. The abbreviation is for

('f*** you, me first').

I would far rather be served by a disgrunted Thai who does not say 'thank you' than a beered-up Brit sporting tatoos, shaven head and knuckledusters.

It seems to me that those of us who were educated with manners, and thoughtfulness for others, should simply realise that time when these things matter are fast disappearing. The tide has turned, and the majority of people are simply not educated to care what other people have to suffer, because of their lack of manners. This is a pandemic, not particular to Thailand.

I agree the airplane seat is a good example, as is smoking in non-smoking areas, loud and lewd behaviour in front of minors, sneezing and hawking over everyone else, and I could go on, but you get the idea.

In my experience, Thai's outside of Pattaya (say in Surin or even Bkk), are far more friendly and smiley to foreigners. Perhaps they have not suffered so much rudeness from farangs as the long sufferiing Thai's in Pattaya?

What saddens me most of all is that these examples of ex-pat 'maleness' so prevalent in Pattaya will soon be considered the norm, and that these types of people will be considered a true representation of all British people. Nothing could be further than the truth.