Educational benefits for serving in Thai Military?

perryjr2

Question for informed Thai people, If a young man or woman serves in the Thai Military, does she or he receive further educational benefits towards higher education, like University or trade schools. Just wanted to assist my adopted son (Thai citizen) towards best career that would allow him to further improve his education and skills. I served in the U.S. Navy and was entitled to educational benefits upon separation from service. Educational benefits also are provided while actively serving in the military but this is difficult to do when traveling or training often as a military person does. Understand this is a unique benefit to U.S. Military personnel but wondered if this is also attainable if a Thai young person serves his country in the Military.  

• Haha 2

Army isn't necessarily the easiest thing to get into in Thailand. I mean army official (where you get benefits), rather than conscription.

Would have to check if applicable to the Thai military, but other Thai officials can obviously get scholarships into Thai universities, but also can take time off work to further their studies overseas - Masters for example (whilst still being paid their salary). The salary I think just stays the same, rather than rises, until the individual returns. However, that all depends on what Ministry the official works in. If work in the Public Health or Education Ministry from memory they will pay you to study abroad, but Interior Ministry I think have changed and don't do that anymore. Not sure about military officials. 

It would be your adopted sons children that would benefit from him being in the Army (only if he stayed in it). Free health, 100% free government schooling, discounted Thai private education (30% I think) and free university for the duration of the Bachelor. Not to mention if his children wanted to be military it will be much easier if their dad is as separate quotas, well bonus scores anyway.

If leaving the Army I wouldn't be expecting to receive much. Sure, some people may stay in the health system by accident (I know of one), but all the other benefits you pay first, take receipt and get refunded. 

Edited by wildewillie89