Cheapo Car Required - Really Cheap! :)

mallmagician

Hi folks,

I'm after an old banger to just run around town and such.

I have very little budget for this - 50,000 ish.

Any reccomendations for cheap garages in CM or anyone selling their old banger in CM?

And before all the flamers start, I have a motorbike already, and I know that new cars are very reasonably priced. I just can't afford one. :o

Thanks in advance all,

Phil

All I can suggest is you take your bike for a ride around several of the big roads around out of town. There are often cars parked with a big ขาย for sale sign and a phone number. For example, there are several cheap cars on the left of the road between the Vehicle Licensing place and the middle ring road on the Hang Dong road. Noticed one for 38K yesterday.

i know an excellent place for you to look at phil. Kaew Nawarat coming in from the superhighway towards McCormick Hosp. Pass the Bud's Ice Cream junction and there is a second hand dealership with lots of old cars on the left hand side. owner name mohd. ali. am quite certain you would find something there.

good luck!

Cheap may be cos it drink petrol like water - so also look out for how many KM / litre of petrol - do not test it in Highway .

test in going around town stop and go .

50k you cna get a car - ( check paper work carfully )

buy my advice is go up to 90k - 120k

and get a old toyota A101 or Honda Old civic . which might have a better Fuel economy .

good luck

and get a old toyota A101 or Honda Old civic . which might have a better Fuel economy .

Quite the contrary...stay away from an old Honda. If you are looking to only spend that amount, you will surely find one, but when it comes time to replace something, and it WILL happen, the price of Honda spares is five to ten times that of Toyota, Mitsubishi and the like. I speak from experience!!

All this is importance . spare parts is also a key factor .

i personally is a toyota person and i have 4 toyota 1 mazda 1 datsun a benz .

surpising the one that cost me most is alway my celica :o

i don't own a honda . just quoting an example . as i had friend driving

buy parts from . the dealer street not from workshop .

Cheap may be cos it drink petrol like water - so also look out for how many KM / litre of petrol - do not test it in Highway .

good luck

You could buy my tractor for 150k, turns heads!

In the 40k -50k range you'll find the little Mazda Familia pickups are pretty cheap to operate and service. Drive around some of the ring roads and you'll likely see one parked somewhere, for sale.

Succeeded in getting into one of these once. Not comfortable. Needed help of three people to get out again. They are not built for BIG people. :o:D

In the 40k -50k range you'll find the little Mazda Familia pickups are pretty cheap to operate and service. Drive around some of the ring roads and you'll likely see one parked somewhere, for sale.

Succeeded in getting into one of these once. Not comfortable. Needed help of three people to get out again. They are not built for BIG people. :o:D

the thais adore this mazda thing though. an employee of mine bought it and very happy with it. like p1p said, its not made for big people!

i'm surprised no one mentioned a VW beetle. sure fits in the bill of being 50 ish K. (if lucky), 100K would get you a nice one.

I believe we've met, and I'm about the same size as you and I never had any probems. My girlfriend used to own one and it was nice a runabout. Very peppy, easy to park, could dart in and out of city traffic and old enough that other drivers would give right of way, seeing you have nothing to lose, right? .She has a Honda Civic now, and it is MUCH harder to get into, as the seats are basicallycm's off the ground. I've been trying to come up with a reason to buy another one. They're pretty cheap and not likely to decline in value anymore, maybe the opposite.

Many years ago I used to own a BMW 525. EVERY single thing that goes wrong with it (assuming it's minir) costs $USD 500. I don'y care if the windshield wiper or the floor mats. if you're on a low budget, give the cheapie Beamer a pass. Your costs are going to escalate quickly IMO.

It's between ring ping shoppingcenter in san sai noi (at rd 1101) and Doi Saket rd. comming from Ring Ping, it's on the left side after about 1 km you have a BIG sign about The garden restaurant, turn in there on soi 16 (don't think there's a roadsign) and just 100m in you have the BMW on the left.

Hope you find it, it's some neighbourghs of mine that sells it I belive.

Many years ago I used to own a BMW 525. EVERY single thing that goes wrong with it (assuming it's minir) costs $USD 500. I don'y care if the windshield wiper or the floor mats. if you're on a low budget, give the cheapie Beamer a pass. Your costs are going to escalate quickly IMO.

come to think of it, if your fuel injection is busted, you might as well sell the car for junk value. remember a friend who had one of these older beemers of which the injection kit caused 200% more than what he paid for the car.

i think a mazda famili is the way to go! so many many around for sale.

Ok BMW 520 ..

my take is the only reason is Cheap . cost drink petrol like water .

My father own a Benz . close to the Bmw 520 .

is his fav car and older people just don't feel safe in japanese car.

anyway .

His car run at 6-8km / litre . and he spend like 5k-7k per month on petrol .

and his car is well taken care off as his free time is cleaning the engine bay and servicing the car himself to make it work best

So a old BMW 520 - 29k . if you need some minor work after you buy it . i would price at 10k .

brake parts , engine oil , minor service , and paper work .

Then come the PETROL > you might expect 6km / litre - is will be a comfort ride .

are you ready to pay 1k-2k worth of fuel every week .

Useful advice. I am also looking for a small, inexpensive, older but reasonably reliable car. Any other suggestions about the makes/models in CNX that are reliable over time and also cheap/easy to repair here?

good luck

_ Test and test , be picky , and talk to workshop -

ask your workshop to test the car for you and look for possible problem ,

if you know nobody ,my workshop may test for you . but do be advice he can only spot 60 %-70 % of possible problem .

those seller try to hide can only be known after you buy , so buying second hand is a risk also .

-

take a walk on the street , the car you see the most , would have the most spare parts , whahah the red pick up . whhahah

Don't buy 16 inches rim . cos tire replacment is expensive ,

go for 14 inch and 13 inches which you can buy percentgae tire for like 800 baht a rim .

look out for . small problem like , if all he meter is working ,

before you buy . SPRAY water over the whole CAR , and see if it leak .

check Aircon . you can test the HORN . - check all lighting .

if all door close well .

driving test , look out for Gear problem . doe sthe gear shift funny . and if it make any strange sound . old car have problem with 2nd and 3rd gear . try to drive it harder on 2nd gear and see if it pop out .

try to look for a fuel injection engine . cos it usually save you some litre or petrol over carburator

. good luck

well , i said so .. cos in asia , people find car like benz , Bmw , and Volvo , land rover much safer car then japanese , and korea car .

- but of cos .. other factor need to be consider also . as it show status also . and all this brand had been build base on ther safey and power house image .

you can go ask around .. and compare between japanese car and euro germany car - which make them feel more safe .

:o

my father is one classic example . which he think my toyota he keep telling me to sell it away and get a benz . or Bmw .

but i just love my sport coupe

car .

- but of cos .. other factor need to be consider also . as it show status also . and all this brand had been build base on ther safey and power house image .

That's anothe bunch of carp too. The only Mercedes or BMW that a Thai will drive for status is a brand spanking new one. No second hand wheels for these boys. Pardon me while I go throw up again :o