New Canon

hughden

Looking unlikely that they will announce the 40D for the PMA; you may have to wait another 6 months. Meantime the 30D is a great camera (although may not be what I tell my wife if I want to try and justify a 1D Mk 3......)

1D and 1Ds are so heavy, just not the kind of camera you want to take to the field especially with L lenses. Unless you have to stick to 1.6X crop frame size better go for 5D. Are EF-S lenses compatible with 1D anyway? Even if so, I doubt if you want to use EF-S lenses on 1D.

BTW there's been a rumor of 7D...

EF-S will only work with 1.6 frame cameras, the ID Mk 3 is a 1.3; which means I could not use my lovely 10-22.

I take a lot of sports shots so the much better AI servo and 10 fps is very appealing; but not 150,000 baht's worth of appealing (or whatever it will cost).

I am a long time Nikon user, but this camera looks quite impressive. It was rumored that Nikon would be releasing a D3 today, but so far...nothing. If Nikon's next pro body doesn't finally address the high noise, I'll be looking long and hard at the 1DIII and switching to Canon.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a long time Nikon user, but this camera looks quite impressive. It was rumored that Nikon would be releasing a D3 today, but so far...nothing. If Nikon's next pro body doesn't finally address the high noise, I'll be looking long and hard at the 1DIII and switching to Canon.

Mate, make the switch :D

I've used Canon DSC3's, D520's, Nikon D1's, h's, x's, 2's, canon 1D's and now Mk 2's...

Today I had a play with the Mark 3 in London...very nice...going to be about £2999...but give it six months and it'll be down to about £2500...A good few of London's finest from EPA, Getty, AFP etc were there drawling over it (oh, and getting their chips cleaned for free by Canon :D )

This camera is very nice :bah: The file size is not that much imrovement on the Mk2, but machine-gun like burst-rate and the AF points are 3 times more sensitive (but I don't think that means 3 times faster!!!), just seems a VERY NICE piece of kit...

One thing I did like is that there is now a small "toggle" on the back by which you can change AF points (like Nikon)...nice option, but personally I use the centre-point as it's faster/more accurate.

In summary, although I tend to be an "early adopter" as they say in marketing speak... :o I always think it's better to buy new cameras/lenses about 6 months after they've first come out...By then they've usually sorted out all the production bugs/firmware issues... :D

I will be buying a couple of these cameras, but not yet...

But if you buy this camera now, I doubt you'll be disappointed... :D Did I say it was VERY NICE ?:bah:

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

At least I have an L lens. :D

Which one? :o

RAZZ

70-200mm f/4L IS

Nice little gadget. Got it last May on my last trip back to the US. I'm looking to get some more glass when I go back this May, maybe a couple large aperture primes and a good all-around zoom to replace the kit lens.

Why is camera stuff so much cheaper back in the States?

70-200mm f/4L IS

Nice little gadget. Got it last May on my last trip back to the US. I'm looking to get some more glass when I go back this May, maybe a couple large aperture primes and a good all-around zoom to replace the kit lens.

Why is camera stuff so much cheaper back in the States?

Mmm...hard to know the exact reason...

Taxes, import duties, pricing policies???

For a long time Canon gear has always seemed (roughly) to be the same in £ or $, ie something for £4000 will be about $4000...

With the exchange rate how it is that's quite a saving...Japan is cheap for well-cared for 2nd hand gear.

RAZZ