Nong Bua Public Park - Ubon Ratchathani

jay-uk

Anyone visited this place yet?

http://tazmeister.blogspot.com/2007/02/non...atchathani.html

It sounds nice, if anyone has info then please post....

Has it just been completed or finished some time ago. Must have missed it on my last travels. If anyone's got any pictures please post them also as i'm always keen to see new places around the city for my next visit. Not sure exactly sure where this place is either?

Thanks....

Jay

Edited by jay-uk

Sorry Jay - missed the post! Been busy recently.

The park has been opened a good few years now but they are always adding to it and the structure with the date on shows the date that structure was built - 2547, it is a firm favourite for healthy people to walk, jog or run around - they recently extended it all the way up to the road fronting 'Staff City' Korean beef place.

It is a lovely place to spend a couple of hours with the family and we have been a few times - when you came to my house it is behind us from the main road - a few houses in between but lots of ways in to the place, the border patrol family quarters are right next to the main one.

I have no pics but would be willing to go get some for you if you want. It is a big lake, Thai's just love water!

Half way through the 'bisto' and mixed herbs by the way!

Thai.

Edited by thaibites0

Hi Thaibites

Thanks for the note on the park. Hope you and all the family are fit and well. I was told about this place on my last visit but with all that was going on at the time quickly forgotten and didn't give it much thought. It sounds a nice place I'll have to take the family there hopefully on our next trip over to LOS. Didn't realise it was so close to your house and our. Just goes to show how you can miss things right under your nose sometimes. Don't go visiting especially on our account to take pictures but next time you're there and have a minute for a few snaps then feel free to post them or send me an email. I must be getting a real borrin' old fart these days but this kind of stuff interests me in terms of what's popping up in/around the city. I guess Ubon still does not have a newspaper as of yet or official tourist website so information is still pretty limited to "word of mouth" from people in the know.

Since last speaking my wife is expecting another baby boy around April 12th approx: "she looks like an egg on legs" at the moment but I haven't said that!.... with a new arrival on the way it could be sometime before we get chance to come back to Ubon but we talk about the place everyday and miss our second home a lot.

Don't worry about the bisto and mixed herbs I'm putting a package together in the next week or so of photos and letters that my mother-in-law plans to send over to Ubon. She's here in UK for six months helping out with Jack our son so I will put a few bits n pieces together in the box and when they arrive at our house I'll let you know so you can collect them when passing.

All the best.

Jay

No problem getting you a few pics Jay, I will put the batteries on charge right now. I drive past the main entrance where that sign is every morning and then up past the road to 'Staff city' so I will get you a few pics.

Do not worry about bisto n herbs, we use them sparingly and really do have half left - enough for a good few months!

Trying to organise another do but my offer seems to have gone down like a lead balloon, have to wait and see! Staff city? Well, it's right here - lots of other venues to be had - Sepsoi9 is a favourite too.

post-16800-1172594130_thumb.jpg

Edited by thaibites0

Thaibites

I've just bought a couple of boxes of quick soak mush peas, bisto and mixed herbs from Tesco stafford this afternoon. If you don't mind waiting till my mother-in-law's return date of 7th June i'll get her to pack a few more bits n pices such as pg tips etc...

look forward to the park pics.....

Cheers

Jay

Whoops, I seem to have stretched the page!

Here is a view across the lake and one of those tiny buildings you see is Staff city Korean BBQ or 'nur yang Koree' - nice place with live music if you want it and seating outside if the weather is good and you fancy some peace and quiet!

post-16800-1172657306_thumb.jpg

Places open and close all the time Jay, I know of no new places worth mentioning but that does not mean there are none.

The Laitong hotel does a great buffet lunch - all you can eat for B150! Most of the big hotels do buffet lunchs' and some of them are B50 a time.

For a real Thai meal try 'kha moo dang' at the place opposite Ubon plaza - a firm favourite!

Sure Mike,

You must know Wat Nong Bua with the famous chedi, Wat Nong Bua

is on the outskirts of Ubon Ratchathani on Highway 212 Ubon-Amnat Charoen. At the third kilometer of the highway, there is an 800 meter side road leading to the temple. It is the only temple in this province that has a rectangular chedi built in an imitation of Chedi Buddhakhaya.

Driving from Tesco Lotus to BigC turn left at the first set of traffic lights and then take the first left, it is a small side road ending in a 't' junction. Look to the right and you will see the sign in the pic. Plenty of parking space inside and NO CHARGE!

Having turned left at the lights you are on the road to pass the market (on the right) and the Temple (on the right - can't miss that chedi!) and the turn of for a swathe of restaurants including staff city (well signed).

Thaibites

Not sure if you are golfer or not. I've always promised myself that I would take up golf sometime in the future and another place I never got to visit was the Warin Chamrap course which I believe a few farangs use regular. Is this a small 9 hole course similar to the one out at Sirindorn dam or any bigger. Also is it nice and well kept or does the green have cows wandering around eating the grass?

Jay