Laab Moo

just_Elaine

Sorry, I forgot about the raw stuff which, thankfully, I've never gotton. It always has ground pork, but most times liver is included or something white which my husband thinks is part of the pork skin and I think it is something like intestines. Most times, it'll have ground rice powder, ground chilis, sliced shallots and mint. Some versions have green onion. Some versions have thinly sliced lemon grass. Some versions might have coriander leaves (cilantro). As for the sauce, I think most times it is a combination of lime juice and fish sauce although some versions seem to have red curry in it.

So I'm wondering what distinguishes Northern style laab from Issan style laab....

the preparation of laab varies with the person...I've eaten a lot made by folks from all over Thailand but the basic ingredients are minced pork, chiles, mint or coriander and lime juice...the raw pork is the isaan variety...

not sure if there is a regional standard for the preparation...sure is good, though...one of the few thai dishes that I like...had laab made from sliced pigs ear once in Abu Dhabi...

just remembered...the wife described a laab made by her cousin using tiny shrimp caught in a local irrigation canal, never did see it meself...maybe we can say that laab is generic name for a cold spicy salad from pork, shrimp, etc???

weigh in bambi...

not bambi, sorry :o

Yes, Laab is the name of the dish. There are all kinds of Laab, moo being the most popular.

just remembered...the wife described a laab made by her cousin using tiny shrimp caught in a local irrigation canal, never did see it meself...maybe we can say that laab is generic name for a cold spicy salad from pork, shrimp, etc???

weigh in bambi...

not bambi, sorry :o

Yes, Laab is the name of the dish. There are all kinds of Laab, moo being the most popular.

By far my favorite Thai dish .

When boiled and not fried this is a very healthy dish.

As I know ,Laab is a dish that has influence from laotain.

In Northern ,they call "Laab Jin".And issaan call "laab"..Sometimes they make "laab" from raw meat ,blood and herbs such as lemon grass,galangal and mint . Grinded roasted rice is the most importatant ingredient.

For the central part prefer eating cooked meat to raw meat.

Sorry, I forgot about the raw stuff which, thankfully, I've never gotton.

So I'm wondering what distinguishes Northern style laab from Issan style laab....

IMHO it''s a totally regional thing, perhaps like BBQ or chili in America. In the UK & US, restaurant larb (gai or muu) seems to be often made from choicer cuts of meat (e.g., breast/thigh & loin/leg) and is not nearly as spicy as back in the village (mid-north-central). It's ok but not quite the same.

In the village, larb is three varieties raw (muu) and cooked (gai & muu), all of which are very heavily spiced (and hot!!). The raw larb is very popular especially with the men (enhances sexual potency), although many local women like it too. My normally robust system can't handle it. It is made with all the innards (liver, heart, intestines {cleaned and washed of course}) and also the blood when the pig is freshly butchered. Cooked larb (both gai & moo) is also the insides. I like it even though I'm normally not a big fan of stuff like cooked liver.

I've seen a falang/Thai couple order larb in a UK restaurant and be very disappointed with it. I've seen falang tourists order larb in LoS and be very disappointed with it. Seems like a good dish to experiment with and make it the way you like it. And perhaps only order it in a restaurant when you know what you are going to get. One local UK restaurant that I like will offer to make people a small sample of their larb to try before making a full plate (sort of like taste-testing the guest ale).

Thanks everyone. I guess there isn't much difference in the different styles of laab.

According to the missus,the diference between the North and the North Eastern dishes,is that in the Notheast they add 'Grinded roasted rice' and in the north, just 'grinded rice'...

the preparation of laab varies with the person...I've eaten a lot made by folks from all over Thailand but the basic ingredients are minced pork, chiles, mint or coriander and lime juice...the raw pork is the isaan variety...

not sure if there is a regional standard for the preparation...sure is good, though...one of the few thai dishes that I like...had laab made from sliced pigs ear once in Abu Dhabi...

Pigs ear in Abu Dhabi :o

Islamic Laab :D

Translated from TH to Eng from this site

http://www.lannaworld.com/cgi/lannaboard/r...opic.php?id=595

LARB-Northern style

Ingredients

(1)MEAT PART -mixed all

-minced meat

-blood

-viscera organ such as stomach

-small intestinal's content ( in ruminant)

(2) CHILLI PASTED -grinded all then mix the mixer with broth (semi-solid)

- dried chilli

-grilled garlic

-grilled red onion

-salt

-coriander seeds

-pepper

-Long Pepper (Piper retrofractum Vahl)

-Sichuan pepper (Zanthoxylum limonella Alston )

-grilled lemon grass

- grilled galangal

-fennel

-nutmeg

-camphor seed

MIX (1)+(2) and topping it with mint and coriander

Edited by BambinA

Pigs ear in Abu Dhabi :o

Islamic Laab :D

yeah...dem ragheads didn't know what dey were eatin' :D:D:D

but, nah...it was at a party where there would be lots ob expat thais that would attempt to outdo each other with the food as everyone was a good cook...there would be a splendid array of dishes on the buffet, some ob de best thai food that I've had...maybe because it was hard to find nam pla, mushy river fish an' pork organ meat (pork products like ham, bacon and roasts are available in Abu Dhabi as well as alcohol)...the pigs ear must've been brought in in someone's luggage...

Edited by tutsiwarrior