Thai Passport

My father is Thai and was born in Thailand. He has been deceased for many years. I was born outside of Thailand. I have a birth certificate stating that my father is from Thailand however, I do not have his death certificate nor his birth certificate. How do I go about getting a Thai passport or becoming a Thai national? I hold a European passport at the moment and I would like to keep this too. I am in Bangkok at the moment, my 2nd time since Dec/Jan 06 and I have been given many conflicting advice.

You'll need to approach the Royal Thai Embassy in your home country with your papers, as well as any papers you have that prove that he was a Thai national when you were born. If you have old passports, his ID card, or even his house registration that is proof enough.

The Thai embassy will issue you firstly with a Thai birth certificate stating you are Thai. If you can prove to them you are eligible for that, then you'll usually be allowed to apply for a Thai passport at the same time. Once you have that, you will be can enter Thailand on that passport and stay indefinetly.

A couple of things to remember. Once in Thailand, you'll need to get registered on a house register for you to be issued with an ID card. Without either of those, you'll find it hard to get things like bank accounts, credit cards and generally getting into the 'system' difficult.

Be aware though, that if you are male, under 30 and not in full time education, you will also be liable for military conscription.

You'll need to approach the Royal Thai Embassy in your home country with your papers, as well as any papers you have that prove that he was a Thai national when you were born. If you have old passports, his ID card, or even his house registration that is proof enough.

The Thai embassy will issue you firstly with a Thai birth certificate stating you are Thai. If you can prove to them you are eligible for that, then you'll usually be allowed to apply for a Thai passport at the same time. Once you have that, you will be can enter Thailand on that passport and stay indefinetly.

A couple of things to remember. Once in Thailand, you'll need to get registered on a house register for you to be issued with an ID card. Without either of those, you'll find it hard to get things like bank accounts, credit cards and generally getting into the 'system' difficult.

Be aware though, that if you are male, under 30 and not in full time education, you will also be liable for military conscription.

So, is it not possible to apply for the birth certificate and passport in person in Thailand?? That is what I was hoping to do, since the embassy in my country is kinda far away.

your BC needs to be issued by the emabssy in the country you were born in. It is a different BC than you would get in Thailand which is designed only for those born within the kingdom.

As for the passport, you need to apply for it outside too, otherwise how are you going to enter Thailand without limit on your stay?

your BC needs to be issued by the emabssy in the country you were born in. It is a different BC than you would get in Thailand which is designed only for those born within the kingdom.

As for the passport, you need to apply for it outside too, otherwise how are you going to enter Thailand without limit on your stay?

Well, thanks for the information. Very helpful. When I get to Thailand, I was just planning on getting the visa on arrival, 1 month. I don't plan on staying very long. Thanks again for the info! :o