Luk Krungs

buriramboy

Are luk kreungs elidgable for military service or not? i always thought they were but do not know for sure, and if anyone could post a link or some evidence with a definative answer one way or the other would be most appreciated by a lot of people. Thank You.

BB

My uneducated guess is that anyone who holds Thai citizenship is responsible for military service at the appropriate time; in other words, if you fall in the eligible age range and you are Thai, then you are obligated to go through the system the same way as any other Thai (or avoid it in the same way as any other Thai). That would count the luk krungs who hold Thai citizenship.

Are luk kreungs elidgable for military service or not? i always thought they were but do not know for sure, and if anyone could post a link or some evidence with a definative answer one way or the other would be most appreciated by a lot of people. Thank You.

BB

:o

In general, if they have Thai citizenship and a Thai I.D. card, yes, they must do the national service thing.

My Thai girlfriend was previously married, her three children are part Burmese part Thai.

At one time they were not eligable for a Thai I.D. card and Thai citizenship, however the laws have been changed for at least 20 years now, and as long as one parent is Thai, they can now become Thai citizens.

The trade-off is that males are also required to do their military national service as are all Thai males.

In my wife's case her children were however to old to do the military service once the law was changed to let them become Thai citizens. Worked out to be a win-win situation for them.

There are definite adavanages to living in Thailand as a Thai citizen as opposed to a resident alien. For one, you can own property. But you have to pay for the privilage with your military service requirement.

:D

Thai nationals receive a legal document to show they have fulfilled their obligation and turned up at the conscription centre on the day and drawn a ball. Or have been exempted by doing cadet training.

Can anyone 1.give the name of this document. 2. state what this document entitles the holder to do.

I know if you want to join the police, this is one document you have to show.

I'm mixed nationalities with my ma being Thai and pops from the States but grew up abroad and served in the marines cadet training program after university and before hitting LOS. Military was much better abroad rather than serving here...what a waste of time.

Edited by MioBikerBoyz

if you live in Thailand and not in full time education, it is pretty much a pre-requisite, as being on the house registry and getting an ID is compulsory from 15 years of age. Full time education allows you a deferment from attending the lottery. Having done 3 years of ROTC at high school means you are exempted.

If you are outside of Thailand, off the house register and with no ID card, and you stay away until you are 30, then you are essentially in the free and clear. Or, if you go for that Phd, then you'd be in the clear as well.

Meaning, if you hit 30 and have legitimately not needed to report, you are still technically liable to go to the lottery, but if chosen, being over 30 you are put onto a list of reserves, and only called upon to do your 2 years if there is not enough physcially fit cantidates to fill the recruitment quota for that year.....which never happens.

From what I hear, if your 'other' country, i.e. the one in which you are citizen except from Thailand, has mandatory military service and you do it there and can prove it, Thailand can not claim you.

This is just what I heard from a luuk khrueng friend in Sweden, which still has mandatory national service - but I have not had it verified.

What percentage of youngsters get chosen for service from this lottery?

It very much depends on Changwat.

There is a quota, and first taken will be recruits taken who volonteer, and the rest is filled up with conscripts. In the poorer parts of Thailand it translates that usually very few conscripts are needed. Volonteering for the service pays well, gives education opportunities, and after discharge preferential treatment in employment, especially when a recruit was in combat units at the border or now in the south.

Edited by ColPyat

ok gals/guys thanks for all your replies, its pretty much as i thought it was then, the reason i started this topic was that i was having an off topic discussion about it in another thread, and this guy was saying his thai in-laws are in the military and that if a luk krueng had a farang father then they were not eligable for the military/police and i didn't think this was correct, hence the thread. Thank you all again.

BB

Is the lottery done at the 21st birthday? What are the chances of winning/losing the lottery?

A lot of winning the "lottery" depends on how many people that year volunteer to join the armed forces. There have been years when no conscripts have been required as the full number of volunteers has been achieved.

From what I hear, if your 'other' country, i.e. the one in which you are citizen except from Thailand, has mandatory military service and you do it there and can prove it, Thailand can not claim you.

This is just what I heard from a luuk khrueng friend in Sweden, which still has mandatory national service - but I have not had it verified.

the thai rules do state this meadish. I'll try and dig them up when I get home.

There is no way I will allow my son to go into the army.

Whats wrong sending your son to the army. If he is a thai nationals and if Thailand needs him then he should go . I heard rumours they gonna extend it to 2 years national service . :o and it will be compulsory for all thais male when they reached 18 years of age :D

When i was 18 i served my country for 3 long years. During the Military trainning till i get posted to other vocation it was a very valueable lesson for us. Meet lots of new friends, learn new things . The best part is being posted to be in the United Naiton Peace Keeping Force. :D

Thai youth could learn alot from being in the Army. Disipline,courage and learn how to be a good leader in their family .

Edited by tytus

I'm mixed nationalities with my ma being Thai and pops from the States but grew up abroad and served in the marines cadet training program after university and before hitting LOS. Military was much better abroad rather than serving here...what a waste of time.

You had more than one???? Wow, that is confusing! :o

My son got the short straw last year - and he is very leuk krung - nope, if the individual is a Thai citizen, or a dual citizen (as my son is - but resides in Thailand), they are obliged to do military service.

He has been granted a defferment because he has been accepted at Uni, but will be only to happy to do his bit in due course - and so should any Thai youngster in my opinion.

....... good wake up call (discipline) for a lot of youngsters.

MF

He has been granted a defferment because he has been accepted at Uni, but will be only to happy to do his bit in due course - and so should any Thai youngster in my opinion.

....... good wake up call (discipline) for a lot of youngsters.

MF

I wouldn't be too happy. My neview is right now doing anti drug smuggling operations in the North at the border, and will then transfered to the South, into the thick of it. Neighbors of mine have lost their son during one of the irrelevant shoot outs in the South at the beginning of the trouble.

And i have met lots of former conscripts who have been in the Rom Klao war, and were still screwed up, and other who were involved in gross human rights violations in other theatres of war such as in Cambodia because they were ordered so.

Education in Human Rights, by the way, is not part of the training here.

Yes deferment is the way to go . Let him get his uni degree and then when he is enlisted to the Army he will be posted to the Officer Cadet coures and graduate as an officer. Easy life at the Barracks lol :o

Thai youth needs a lot of disipline trainning . Enlisted to the army is the way and easiest way to improve thier life when they are Operational Ready Servicemen

Edited by tytus

Just for you folks out there.

I've attached the conscription rules that I downloaded a year or two ago from the Thai consulate in LA. They don't seem to be there anymore.

Also, I've attached some legal 'advice' that I received from http://www.meechaithailand.com/, the website of former Senate Speaker K.Meechai Ruchupan which related to the issue of what happens after 30. He has a Q &A site where you can ask questions. Here is the answer he gave me in Thai. Your better halves can help you with the translation.

Q. What happens if I return to Thailand after 30 and have not done conscription?

A. สำหรับเรื่องการเข้ารับราชการทหารนั้น ก็ไม่ต้องกังวลนัก เพราะเมื่ออายุ 30 ปี

บริบูรณ์แล้ว ก็จะถูกปลดเป็นทหารกองเกินชั้น 2 ประกอบกับการไม่ได้ไปรายงานตัวเมื่อถึงกำหนดเวลานั้น ก็มีโทษปรับไม่มากนัก เมื่อกลับมาแล้วไปปรึกษากับสัสดีก็คงจะแก้ไขได้

Normal warnings etc about using legal advice from third parties. ie....use it at your own risk..and neither myself or Thai Visa take any responsibility for the accuracy of the advice contained herein.

Your not the lone ranger there.

Imagine letting your son run around with these highly trained weapons experts with live ammo and grenades....yeah right.

Might hold off on his ID card for awhile.

Its national service.

Same as my country when we went to Vietnam.

My son is a Thai National and if required by his country...he will serve. But at the end of the day it will be his decision.

Whats wrong sending your son to the army. If he is a thai nationals and if Thailand needs him then he should go . I heard rumours they gonna extend it to 2 years national service . :o and it will be compulsory for all thais male when they reached 18 years of age :D

When i was 18 i served my country for 3 long years. During the Military trainning till i get posted to other vocation it was a very valueable lesson for us. Meet lots of new friends, learn new things . The best part is being posted to be in the United Naiton Peace Keeping Force. :D

Thai youth could learn alot from being in the Army. Disipline,courage and learn how to be a good leader in their family .

Well said tytus.

So these farangs want to live here with all the rights and priviledges of Thai society but think they are above serving their country like any other Thai national is required to do?

Well said tytus.

So these farangs want to live here with all the rights and priviledges of Thai society but think they are above serving their country like any other Thai national is required to do?

Whenever i hear that "serving the country" BS my bile starts rising. :o

ok gals/guys thanks for all your replies, its pretty much as i thought it was then, the reason i started this topic was that i was having an off topic discussion about it in another thread, and this guy was saying his thai in-laws are in the military and that if a luk krueng had a farang father then they were not eligable for the military/police and i didn't think this was correct, hence the thread. Thank you all again.

BB

Was the other guy in the discussion possibly referring to entrance to the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School which leads to a career as a military officer or (senior) police officer? Without connections, this could be difficult for a look khreung to get into.