irving welsh

john le carre

alan furst

tom wolfe

henry miller

will self ..... feeding frenzy,

studs terkel ..... work

a good atlas and star chart

and ( correct me if i am wrong) the best travel book ever written ..to the ends of the earth , by robert caplan.

and the (auto)biographies of marianne faithfull , john peel , frank zappa and bob dylan.

Edited by taxexile

Anything that comes supplied with coloured pencils or crayons. :o

Failing that, stuff by Irvine Welsh; Bill Bryson; Stephen King; Orhan Pamuk; Elmore Leonard; Yann Martel; etc has passed under my nose recently.

Has anyone mentioned Stephen Leather, yet? "Private Dancer" is one book that should be compulsory reading for any newbie to LOS. His other stuff ain't bad either.

Books constantly change even though the words are the same. The world changes, people change, people find a book at the right moment and it answers something, some need or desire. Paul Auster

William Boyd: Any Human Heart, A Good Man in Africa.

Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies, Hand to Mouth, and others.

James Lee Burke: The Dave Robicheaux novels.

Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely..and others.

Chart Korbjitti: Mad Dogs & Co. a great book (and translation by Marcel Barang) Taught me a lot about Thailand.

Hunter S. Thompson: Songs of the Doomed and others.

The Complete Lyrics of Bob Dylan.

WH Auden: Collected Poems.

Rupert Brooke: Collected Poems.

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.

That should keep me busy for a while.. I'm sure I'll think of others though... :o

Neil Gaiman is good, also fond of military history Beevor, Sumption and the like..........................lovely.

Bit of Harry Bosch crime fiction goes down well as does the Swede Mankell. ( two"l's" I think ? )

Edited by suiging

I can't believe I left Hemingway out of my list!!

Hated him in high school......amazing how you can come to enjoy something when you are finally given a chance to read it.

My English teacher ruined Hemingway for me in my younger days by picking his books apart line by line looking for hints of impotence and suicide!!

Anything by Ben Okri or Vikram Seth. And a book I can read again and again and always get something new from, The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

'A Suitable Boy' was brilliant. You might also want to look out for 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry.

Failing that, stuff by Irvine Welsh; Bill Bryson; Stephen King; Orhan Pamuk; Elmore Leonard; Yann Martel; etc has passed under my nose recently.

Has anyone mentioned Stephen Leather, yet? "Private Dancer" is one book that should be compulsory reading for any newbie to LOS. His other stuff ain't bad either.

What's his other stuff, kmart? I've only read private dancer.

What's his other stuff, kmart? I've only read private dancer.

Hard Landing, an English crime/prison novel was good, he's a great read on planes.

Bangkok Eight

What's that about and who's the author?

It's one of these "detective in Bangkok" things where a lot of the action takes place in and around the Farang bar scene. It is by John Burdett and the writing is supposed to be far superior to other books of this genre of which Chrisopher Moore is the most well known writer.

The Big Mango by Jake Needham is another one that is supposed to be better than most and - supposedly - it will soon be a movie staring the guy who plays Tony on the Supranos.

I just started Bangkok 8 and am enjoying it so far,

Anything by Umberto Eco

Anything by Stephen King

Anything by Aldous Huxley

Anything by Isabel Allende

Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Plus a few always fun favorites:

Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel

The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner

Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez....you got good taste dude. 100 Years of Solitude was the first book I ever read in Thailand, it was a manky old guest house copy that I had to do a quick repair job on using tape and brown paper. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of it one bit, without doubt one of the finest and most humorous books ever written (in my humble opinion).

Aside from that I'd have to say 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac; reading it at the naive young age of 20, I wanted to be Dean Moriarty so badly but just knew I'd never have the balls to be such a reckless, live-for-the-moment kinda guy.

Anything by Umberto Eco

Anything by Stephen King

Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez....you got good taste dude. 100 Years of Solitude was the first book I ever read in Thailand, it was a manky old guest house copy that I had to do a quick repair job on using tape and brown paper. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of it one bit, without doubt one of the finest and most humorous books ever written (in my humble opinion).

Aside from that I'd have to say 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac; reading it at the naive young age of 20, I wanted to be Dean Moriarty so badly but just knew I'd never have the balls to be such a reckless, live-for-the-moment kinda guy.

Agreed! Umberto Eco is dam fine too, especilly Foucalt's Pendulum.

Anything by Umberto Eco

Anything by Stephen King

me an' ol' Dean...he was a pal ob mine, not necessarily in flesh but in spirit...folks would come up an' say ' 'chu up to Dean?...' I'd say 'let's get sum drugs an' wine an' go mess aroun'...' an' we burned down de west coast ob north america, from Ketchikan to Ensenada...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

TV bookworms, what are the best babies to have at hand for rainy days and power outages?

Besides an OED or similar dictionary, Bill Shakespeare, the Bible or similar tract, what else is requisite on the shelves? Tutsi Warrior is a connoisseur of literature, stuck out in the sticks without fine beef stock but a copy of Grapes of Wrath at hand. Resorts and farang restaurants are often good sources of a fine book to borrow. What are your favourites, TV readers? The 100 must-have books are...?

A top 100 is a hard choice, I read mostly non-fiction so that is up to everyone's individual interests. But one book that is usually in my bag wherever I go is Shakespeare's sonnets. I know you said no Will, but you know the sonnets are a slim volume that you can read over and over again.

Otherwise, at the moment, it is mostly travel writing and art history.

Cheers,

Mike

Anything by Umberto Eco

Anything by Stephen King

Agreed! Umberto Eco is dam fine too, especilly Foucalt's Pendulum.

Excellent ! I am reading Eco's "On Beauty" at the moment...

A top 100 is a hard choice, I read mostly non-fiction so that is up to everyone's individual interests. But one book that is usually in my bag wherever I go is Shakespeare's sonnets. I know you said no Will, but you know the sonnets are a slim volume that you can read over and over again.

Cheers,

Mike

Ah, yes. I have a lovely little book of the sonnets, too! A veritable treasure. My fav:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;

Coral is far more red, than her lips red:

If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;

If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,

But no such roses see I in her cheeks;

And in some perfumes is there more delight

Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know

That music hath a far more pleasing sound:

I grant I never saw a goddess go,

My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:

And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare,

As any she belied with false compare.

Anything by Ben Okri or Vikram Seth. And a book I can read again and again and always get something new from, The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

'A Suitable Boy' was brilliant. You might also want to look out for 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry.

Yes!

I read 'A Fine Balance' and I rate that book as a work of near genius. It did not quite get the recognition it deserved. Mistry's next book 'Family Matters' comes a close second to A.F.Balance. Excellent.

Question?

I am often giving V. Seth's 'A Suitable Boy' sidelong glances at the airport shelves. 10.00 GBP for 2 million words. Is it really enjoyable and accessable?

I hope so. Because I shall purchase next time...........and report back......

Cheers,

Mike

Ah, yes. I have a lovely little book of the sonnets, too! A veritable treasure. My fav:

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;

Coral is far more red, than her lips red:

If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;

If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,

But no such roses see I in her cheeks;

And in some perfumes is there more delight

Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know

That music hath a far more pleasing sound:

I grant I never saw a goddess go,

My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:

And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare,

As any she belied with false compare.

'bare, ruined choirs

where late the sweet birds sang...' or sumpin' like dat...de norton anthologies are just behind me in de bookcase but can't be bothered ta pick dem up...I know most ob de sonnets by heart

how about sum John Donne?...'batter my heart Three Personed God...' a reference to de Holy Trinity den he goes on to say how he could 'never be chaste, unless Thou ravish me...' what a monster...

I wrote a shakeperian sonnet once to a girl whose love I had lost in 1971...it was my best effort, ever...it takes strong emotion to compell that sort of effort...argued about it endlessly widde lit instructor who claimed that opium had no place in Coleridge's work...fool... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Btw, how can you read all five of a trilogy. Do you mean a fivology? :o

It's actually quoted on the cover as being "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy" :D

IIRC They are:-

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

The Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Life, The Universe and Everything

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

Mostly Harmless

Definately worth reading, along with most of the Discworld series from Terry Pratchett