Visa Co-Op or VEIT (Visa and Extension Investment Trust)?

Having coffee and making a few phone calls back home (Canada) early this morning.  One of my priorities was touching base with my retirement investment and tax guy.  Interesting banter about the goings on in Thailand, the election, economical climate, immigration hoops, etc.  I had described the necessity of the visa agent and finance shuffling, for some expats.   

I'm now pondering: Has anyone ever proposed a theoretical Visa Co-Op or VEIT (Visa and Extension Investment Trust)?  100, 1000 or 10,000 expats in a group, that finances and administers a Visa investment fund and provides immigration/barrister/financial services?   Basically a co-op and/or investment fund, for common expat Thai immigration services.

We're all aware of examples of common services:

-monthly deposits of foreign currency (or shot term loan top up amounts)

-annual proof of 4-800k (or top ups)

-assisting in immigration documents/disputes

-assisting in wills and real estate

-etc

Could a reasonable roi be achievable?  A reasonably safe investment?   Competitive group plan coverage for (mandatory) health Insurance?   Reliable local, group legal services for the expat community?   

No doubt there would be challenges and hurdles.... But would an Expat Co-Op be viable or of interest in LOS? 

Any thoughts...

• Haha 1

A potential problem is that such a co-op would predominantly attract people whose financial standing is questionable. A bit like with getting a loan from a bank - the less you need it, the more a bank is willing to extend credit to you.

24 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

what? cut the agents out? illegal!

...yip, well that's my point.  A co-op with it's own agents, connections, network and funding.  Some farangs will make a return on their investment, some will utilize the resources in times of need.  Whatever side of the table, it would be black and white contracts, same as a bank (co-op).  A dozen board members, steering a ship of 5000+++ expats investment (depositing 800k), provides some serious clout (investment, immigration, representation)

Edited by CanuckThai

18 hours ago, Caldera said:

A potential problem is that such a co-op would predominantly attract people whose financial standing is questionable. A bit like with getting a loan from a bank - the less you need it, the more a bank is willing to extend credit to you.

not really.  plenty of financially stable expats that have the required funding but don't want to let it sit in a fixed deposit at a measly 1.25-1.5% return.

problem is those who would authorize this are the same parties that benefit from the current system.