Exchange Aud To Thb - Cash Or Bank Transfer?

Do you get a better rate by changing AUD to THB by bring cash over and changing it at the airport, or is it a better rate to transfer money from an Australian bank account to a Thai bank account?

I refer to sums of $5000 AUD or less.

Thanks.

Check out the rates at the Bank of Thailand (http://www.bot.or.th)

A transfer will give a better rate but you usually have fixed transfer costs of around $40US so it would depend on the amount also some banks want account details so unless you have a thai bank account it may be difficult.

The other options are ATM withdrawls using you AUS bank atm card or credit card. This depends on the fees as some banks give good deals (with a credit card for cash withdrawls look at the fees and put the money in your account before leaving aus).

Otherwise the amex traveller check card or traditional traveller checks.

There are also some exchange dealers in the Pratumam district that give very good cash rates.

But check your bank rates and fees before makeing a decision

I would personaly not change the money at the airport too many eyes on you.

I regularly transfer AUD5000 from Westpac to Bangkok Bank, WBC charge me AUD20 per transfer, always the same for lesser amounts still cost $20. I send dollars and let the Bangkok Bank change it, they always give me an excellent rate, A SWIFT transfer takes about maximum three days.

Never had any problems at all.

Colin

I regularly transfer AUD5000 from Westpac to Bangkok Bank, WBC charge me AUD20 per transfer, always the same for lesser amounts still cost $20. I send dollars and let the Bangkok Bank change it, they always give me an excellent rate, A SWIFT transfer takes about maximum three days.

Colin

Can you do that online or do you have to be in Australia to do it?

Cheers Tony

I second NILOC's post....Westpac to BBL online at AUD20 a time, never had a problem. Exchange rates are ok provided you send AUD from Westpac. If you transfer regularly online you can copy transfer details from a previous transaction to avoid any typing mistakes.

Transferring back to Australia can be done through BBL but send AUD, not baht. BBL charges 400Bt a time but they won't send direct to Westpac. Goes to ANZ first who cut AUD11 from it (for what I don't know, it's only a computer entry) before passing to Westpac who then take another cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin

Can you do that online or do you have to be in Australia to do it?

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony, you can do that online. I've done it twice and it's in within 24 hours, cheers.

Thanks for the feedback guys, my next question is do I need to have a work permit to open a Thai bank account or can I get one with the Non Imm B Visa?

It is "hit and miss". By that I mean there is no consistent policy. Some banks will do it with a tourist visa and some won't. If you fail at one, just move on to the next until someone says yes. Same bank, different branches with different policies. I opened a account at Bangkok Bank on 2nd Road Pattaya, just opposite soi 6/1.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on vacation january 2007 (tourist visa),and open saving account with krung thai bank with no problem,passport only,some limitations apply (no atm card ,interest rates very low);i check with bangkok bank main office on silom and also emporium branch they look very strict ,cannot open a account unless working permit or tempory visa.