How To Ordain As A Monk..

Any information regarding as to how one could Ordain as a monk, and if it requires getting any specific kind of visa. Even a place or website where I could get further information regarding monasteries and Temples would be much appreaciated. Is it also possible to ordain for free and not be charged for it?

You can apply for a Non Imm ED visa if you wish to become a monk, but I

understand that you need a letter of invitation from the temple. See the mfa site.

I suggest you come initially on a tourist visa.

Once you have found a temple that will accept you,

they will take care of converting and extending your visa.

There is a temple in the Ubon Ratchathani area which has a number of foreign monks.

This may be the place for you to start, unless you speak fluent Thai.

Please note this is not a short route to a one year visa.

Other people have abused the system in the past

and your visa will be cancelled if you do not take your role as a monk seriously.

Any information regarding as to how one could Ordain as a monk, and if it requires getting any specific kind of visa. Even a place or website where I could get further information regarding monasteries and Temples would be much appreaciated. Is it also possible to ordain for free and not be charged for it?

Good luck ordaining.

Here are 2 websites for you. You should do a google search for others. I added Pah Nanachat because I have been there and I know they help with visas for farangs for Khao Phansa (fact. about a year ago).
:o
TIT...maybe no more?! They might help for longer stays at different times of year. I would assume the rules for visas are the same for each temple that accepts farang monks.
:D
TIT...maybe not!

Good luck ordaining.

Here are 2 websites for you. You should do a google search for others. I added Pah Nanachat because I have been there and I know they help with visas for farangs for Khao Phansa (fact. about a year ago). :o TIT...maybe no more?! They might help for longer stays at different times of year. I would assume the rules for visas are the same for each temple that accepts farang monks. :D TIT...maybe not!

http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys5/neasc.htm

http://www.watpahnanachat.org/

[/indent]

Thanx for the info, would get in touch with them right away and update if there is anything new.