Ford to close engine plant in Wales in latest blow to UK car sector

webfact

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Look on the bright side.

1700 Welshmen waiting like coiled springs to leap into action when the U.K. clinches all those lucrative international trade agreements.

yes, sells car engines to… USA.. ( have enough), Brazil ( enough, and seen low wage costs.. no competative chance), same with India, China, Russia... Oh, sell to our colonies, Belize, Malawi, the Suza Islands…  10 engines per month...

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

And although a tie up with BMW and JLR intend to join forces lot depends on how Brexit will pan out...

So who cares really JLR can go it alone I would say brexit or no brexit, 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So who cares really JLR can go it alone I would say brexit or no brexit, 

Could do if they have the funds, or more to the point is Tate Motors prepared to chip in?  

But there again "Two brains is better than one"

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

A Charge or life cycle?

The development of rechargeable batteries, is progressing like "Moore's Law" twice the capacity, for half the size and half the cost every few years...

The secret is how to reduce the thickness of materials used as is only the surface of the conductive material that converts the charge.

Life of the battery in the car, cars should be made to change them easily. 

And Yep all those raw materials to do that in China don't need BMW the EU to do that.  

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

My brother recently retired from Fords Bridgend after 35 yrs and talking to him yesterday he said this is nothing to do with brexit, it had been coming for years with the finishing of 2 engine contracts. Later I was talking to my brother in law, who is a supervisor there, who said it was nothing to do with brexit. A lot of people posting know more than than people who work at the plant. 

Keep us posted on how your contacts in Bridgend get along finding new employment.

1700, job losses at Ford, an unspecified number of job losses at suppliers to Ford and an inevitable slow down in the local economy.

What a great time to ditch the nation's largest trading partners and all those international trading agreements the UK has within the EU.

Look on the bright side, at least they don't have to worry about medical costs, the NHS is there for them regardless of whether they have a job or not. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Could do if they have the funds, or more to the point is Tate Motors prepared to chip in?  

But there again "Two brains is better than one"

I would of thought so. ????

Jaguar Land Rover PLC is a British premium automaker headquartered in Whitley, Coventry, United Kingdom, and has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Motors since June 2008, when it was acquired from Ford Motor Company of USA.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Keep us posted on how your contacts in Bridgend get along finding new employment.

1700, job losses at Ford, an unspecified number of job losses at suppliers to Ford and an inevitable slow down in the local economy.

What a great time to ditch the nation's largest trading partners and all those international trading agreements the UK has within the EU.

Look on the bright side, at least they don't have to worry about medical costs, the NHS is there for them regardless of whether they have a job or not. 

You're obviously an expert on the way Ford carries out it's business, threatening their employees with moving investments etc when it it comes round to pay talks. Keep talking brexit and ignore the way Ford has acted in the past.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Obviously your brother and brother in law, while working there and knowing All the circumstances that have lead to the closure,do not know what they are talking about. Same as those who voted for Brexit, where according to some remainers, ignorant of the facts.

In addition some remainers on here, especially those who are none British,have so much more detailed information. Unfortunately they are not at liberty to divulge their source. Thus confirming that arrogance is not restricted to only one subject.

The sort to which you refer wouldn't know the difference between Bridgend & an abuttment but would still argue as to which end as soon as we'd shown our hand! ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The sort to which you refer wouldn't know the difference between Bridgend & an abuttment but would still argue as to which end as soon as we'd shown our hand! ????

If you want to insult, at least make sure your post is correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

You're obviously an expert on the way Ford carries out it's business, threatening their employees with moving investments etc when it it comes round to pay talks. Keep talking brexit and ignore the way Ford has acted in the past.

The 1700 jobs are gone and Brexit is now down to walking away without a deal.

Now tell us how is Brexit going to help those who just lost their jobs?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Obviously your brother and brother in law, while working there and knowing All the circumstances that have lead to the closure,do not know what they are talking about. Same as those who voted for Brexit, where according to some remainers, ignorant of the facts.

In addition some remainers on here, especially those who are none British,have so much more detailed information. Unfortunately they are not at liberty to divulge their source. Thus confirming that arrogance is not restricted to only one subject.

I suspect the only inside information the former workforce have is what was actually written inside their letter of notice.

Quit your imaginings and tell us how Brexit is going to improve their chances of finding a job before the next month’s bills start arriving?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Checked//fine

If you didn't understand how can you feign offence?

(Rhetorical)

Where did you see I am offended or didn't understand?

More rhetorical than yours.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, nontabury said:

please pm me the knowledge you have, it goes against everything I heard last week when I was In S Wales.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:47 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the only inside information the former workforce have is what was actually written inside their letter of notice.

Quit your imaginings and tell us how Brexit is going to improve their chances of finding a job before the next month’s bills start arriving?

so you have worked for Fords and know how their management works?.

p.s. no letters of notice have been issued. keep pushing lies.

Edited by sandrabbit
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

my brother in law is going to have a 3.5k pension per month  and that's not including his redundancy payment.  I have younger friends there who won't get the same benefits but Fords have always done good redundancy payments and paying for training in the past. so many people generalising but don't have any experience of Fords closing a plant.

On 6/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

The 1700 jobs are gone and Brexit is now down to walking away without a deal.

Now tell us how is Brexit going to help those who just lost their jobs?

they retrain as tatty pickers in the fens,replacing the poles/slovaks etc,they will be soon be joined by 20000 turkeys from sunderland and 10000 turkeys from swindon,by my reckoning thats a lot of turkeys,some good rental income there for the local landlords,the poles were roughing it in caravans,tight bastards

• Sad 1