Medical Certificate for Thai national - International Health Regulations 2005

Hello all,

We are in the process of requesting a Schengen student Visa for my Thai girlfriend.

One of the required documents is the following:

"Medical certificate, issued by hospital/doctor with medical license, stating he/she does not suffer from “any of the diseases that might have serious consequences for public health, according to the 2005 International Health Regulations (IHR)”

(http://www.who.int/ihr/health_risks/en/)

- small pox

- poliomyelitis due to wild type poliovirus

- human influenza caused by a new subtype, and

- severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)"

We have been to one of the main private hospitals in Korat and they said they cannot provide the same as she is not presenting any form to be filled in. We gaved them the list of the diseases to be checked printed form the WHO web for the doctor to check, anyway they reply didn't change. We called to another big private hospital in the city and they gave her exactly the same reply.

Speaking to one nurse, who could speak good English, in the first hospital we visited we were told all the people coming for the certificates are handling a form from the university/business/organization. I asked the Embassy in regards this form and they confirmed they are not doing any kind of form for that as it is a normal requirement and they have had never an issue.

Im starting to be a bit lost in here. Is the problem we are requesting this certificate in Korat where they could be not used to such? Shall I just write a simple form with her info and the requirements for the doctor to be signed?

Any help, suggestion or input is welcome.

Regards,

Mai Mee Tang

I wonder from where the embassy or consulate where your friend is applying for her student visa got this requirement. Even the official EU website for Schengen visas makes no mention of it.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/student-schengen-visa/

Do you have a link to the web page of the embassy or consulate requesting this certificate?

I wonder from where the embassy or consulate where your friend is applying for her student visa got this requirement. Even the official EU website for Schengen visas makes no mention of it.

Do you have a link to the web page of the embassy or consulate requesting this certificate?
Spanish Embassy.

It is not listed anywhere on their website, they sent me the requirements on a document via email once I asked them. The text between inverted commas at the OP is copy/paste from that document.

9 hours ago, Mai Mee Tang said:

We are in the process of requesting a Schengen student Visa for my Thai girlfriend.

In other words, this employee of this unnamed embassy or consulate apparently made it up.

I just got into the link you provided, in her case is slightly different as the student Schengen Visa is for more than 6 months and this is when this medical certificate gets into play:

"7. If the duration of the study is more than 6 months in Spain, he/she should provide:
- Medical certificate, issued by hospital/doctor with medical license, stating he/she does not suffer from “any of the diseases that might have serious consequences for public health, according to the 2005 International Health Regulations (IHR)”"

I really don't understand why this is required for someone who will be studying there 6 months but not to someone who will study 5 months and 29 days, I mean the hypothetical risk would be the same.

But to be true I don't really want to get into this kind of discussion with the embassy who should approve (or not) her application.

Hence I just want to know how should I approach this matter in the easiest way possible.

If this is not a regular/legal requirement for Schengen Student Visa, it might the case where I cannot get much advise in here as most of the people who have applied or helped applying to this kind of Visa are not familiar with this medical certificate.

Archived