Non immigrant O single or multiple entry

Good morning,

I'm from Belgium, married to a Thai lady and 68 years old.   I'm leaving to Thailand on 8th october 2019 and returning 30th march 2020.  Can I leave with a non immigrant O visa single entry (3 months) and do the extension in Thailand for either marriage or retirement?  Will the consulat give me this visa knowing that I stay for almost six months and if I get it will the airline (Swiss Air in this case) deny me to board for the same reason?  Or do I have to get a non immigrant O visa multiple entry and then do the extension?  

Help very appreciated ! 

No problem to apply for a single entry non-o visa and having plans to stay longer than 90 days. 

If you have a valid visa there is no requirement to have a return or onward ticket to enter the country or to board your flight to here,

Thanks Ubonjoe, aren't they going to make a problem at the Thai Consulat here when I want a non immigrant O visa (3 months) and my return ticket is dated almost 6 months after the date I enter the kingdom?  When I'm there with this visa for 3 months, what is then my best option for an extension and what are the requirements for this?  

You do not even need to show a return or onward when applying for a single entry non-o visa. Many people apply for one with a one way ticket since they plan on applying for an extension.

For a one year extension of stay based upon retirement you need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k bath income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. After applying by showing the 800k baht in the bank it must stay there for 3 months after you apply and then it must be at least 400k baht until you top it up to 800k baht for your next extension.

For a extension based upon marriage you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

It is you choice which extension you want to apply for. 

• Like 2

Your 3 best options to stay 6 months are;

1. Single entry Non O Visa = 90 days.

60 day extension = 150 days.

Border run, VE entry 30 days = 180 days.

2. Multiple entry Non 0 Visa = 90 days.

Border run, re-entry 90 days = 180 days.

3. Single entry Non O Visa = 90 days.

Apply annual extension based on marriage.

Requires 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or     2x40K monthly transfers for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Edited by Tanoshi

Ubonjoe, I just checked on the website of the Thai Consulat in Antwerp and they want a copy of your ticket (go and return) for a non immigrant O single entry.  That's why I fear they might make a problem because I don't have a visa to cover the last 3 months of my stay then.

Is the letter from embassy/consulat no longer a possibility for prove of your financial situation?

Edited by lucmuyshondt1

15 minutes ago, lucmuyshondt1 said:

Ubonjoe, I just checked on the website of the Thai Consulat in Antwerp and they want a copy of your ticket (go and return) for a non immigrant O single entry.  That's why I fear they might make a problem because I don't have a visa to cover the last 3 months of my stay then.

That is not a normal requirement. I suggest you contact them about it. They should accept one longer than 90 days from when you enter the the country.

17 minutes ago, lucmuyshondt1 said:

Is the letter from embassy/consulat no longer a possibility for prove of your financial situation?

If you can get one from your embassy it will be accepted by immigration. The Belgium embassy is still doing them.

21 minutes ago, lucmuyshondt1 said:

Ubonjoe, I just checked on the website of the Thai Consulat in Antwerp and they want a copy of your ticket (go and return).  That's why I fear they might make a problem because I don't have a visa to cover the last 3 months of my stay.

As UJ stated that is not a normal requirement for a Non O Visa.

You could put a covering note in stating you'll be applying for an extension at a Thai Immigration office, hence the return date.

They'll be aware you can extend your permission of stay within Thailand.

Is this onward ticket an absolute requirement?

Is it not possible to come in and sort out your onward travel here, or is it possible to change a tourist visa to a Non-Imm O within Thailand?

Edited by ExpatNP

1 hour ago, ExpatNP said:

Is this onward ticket an absolute requirement?

That depends upon where you apply for the visa. At most embassies and consulates it not required for non-o visa.

If needed you can but lost cost one way ticket to a nearby country. By purchases them 2 or 3 months in advance you can find one for not much more that 1000 baht.

1 hour ago, ExpatNP said:

Is it not possible to come in and sort out your onward travel here, or is it possible to change a tourist visa to a Non-Imm O within Thailand?

A onward ticket is required for a tourist visa application as well. 

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration after entering on a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry. You have to meet the same financial requirements needed for the extension of stay you will be applying for but for the money in the bank option it only has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon where you apply for the visa. At most embassies and consulates it not required for non-o visa.

If needed you can but lost cost one way ticket to a nearby country. By purchases them 2 or 3 months in advance you can find one for not much more that 1000 baht.

A onward ticket is required for a tourist visa application as well. 

It is possible to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration after entering on a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry. You have to meet the same financial requirements needed for the extension of stay you will be applying for but for the money in the bank option it only has to be in the bank on the date you apply.

So if I were to arrive from London on a Visa Exempt entry, I can come in without the onward ticket?

i bought my return ticket TO London here, thinking I could sort the O visa out once I got back.  I won’t be in the UK long enough to apply for a new O visa there. 

16 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

So if I were to arrive from London on a Visa Exempt entry, I can come in without the onward ticket?

Yes but they might not let you on the flight without an onward flight ticket.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

The airline won't let you check in without an outbound ticket, because if for any reason you were refused entry they'd be responsible at their cost for flying you back.

33 minutes ago, ExpatNP said:

i bought my return ticket TO London here, thinking I could sort the O visa out once I got back.  I won’t be in the UK long enough to apply for a new O visa there. 

You could complete the online application from Thailand before travelling.

Once in the UK you could submit by post and receive return Passport and Visa in 5 working days.

Reading your previous posts, your preference seems to be the Non Imm O ME, as opposed to a single entry then an extension from Immigration.

It's still possible to apply for the Non Imm O ME from Savannakhet or HCMC with no financial proof.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, lucmuyshondt1 said:

I just checked on the website of the Thai Consulat in Antwerp and they want a copy of your ticket (go and return) for a non immigrant O single entry. "

I have come across this in the past. 

Yet the consulate I deal with just accepts my ticket back to Thailand. I have a ticket BKK-MUC-BKK.  This was never questioned. I apply for non O multi entry.

Just ask them. 

7 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Yet the consulate I deal with just accepts my ticket back to Thailand. I have a ticket BKK-MUC-BKK.  This was never questioned. I apply for non O multi entry.

When they roll the E-Visa system out in Germany, you can bend down, stick your head between your legs and kiss you backside, to any more Non O ME Visas.

22 hours ago, riclag said:

When in doubt get a throw away Air Asia one way flight out, $60 dollars to Malaysia, before you go apply! Book it for before your 60 days is up 

Or a Train ticket to Padang Bazaar Malaysia, can book 60 day in advance.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:20 AM, Tanoshi said:

Your 3 best options to stay 6 months are;

1. Single entry Non O Visa = 90 days.

60 day extension = 150 days.

Border run, VE entry 30 days = 180 days.

2. Multiple entry Non 0 Visa = 90 days.

Border run, re-entry 90 days = 180 days.

3. Single entry Non O Visa = 90 days.

Apply annual extension based on marriage.

Requires 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, or     2x40K monthly transfers for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Item 2 /     So it is still possible  to get a multi entry non o visa in Belgium ?  No longer possible to get in the UK but other countries are issuing  ?

9 minutes ago, superal said:

Item 2 /     So it is still possible  to get a multi entry non o visa in Belgium ?  No longer possible to get in the UK but other countries are issuing  ?

Yes they are.

It only the 3 countries using the online visa application system that are not doing them any more.

You can still get one at 3 nearby consulates.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The airline won't let you check in without an outbound ticket, because if for any reason you were refused entry they'd be responsible at their cost for flying you back.

You could complete the online application from Thailand before travelling.

Once in the UK you could submit by post and receive return Passport and Visa in 5 working days.

Reading your previous posts, your preference seems to be the Non Imm O ME, as opposed to a single entry then an extension from Immigration.

It's still possible to apply for the Non Imm O ME from Savannakhet or HCMC with no financial proof.

I’m only in England for 4 working days, so it’s a bit of a risk. 

Usually,  I’m there for at least two weeks, so no problem, but not this time. 

So, now I have a problem then?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they are.

It only the 3 countries using the online visa application system that are not doing them any more.

But the rule seems to be that you can only apply in e.g. Belgium if you are a Belgium national or if you can provide proof that you are resident.

No use for a Brit visiting Belgium or any other country like e.g. Germany or Switzerland, Austria  to get a Thai visa.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExpatNP said:

I’m only in England for 4 working days, so it’s a bit of a risk. 

Usually,  I’m there for at least two weeks, so no problem, but not this time. 

So, now I have a problem then?

What date does your current permission to stay end?

Did you last enter VE, TV or Non O?

What date are you travelling back to the UK?

Where are you staying in the UK?

Would you prefer the Non O and then obtain a yearly extension at Immigration, which would require financial proof, OR

The Non Imm O ME from HCMC or Savannakhet with no financial proof?

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they are.

It appears on the English Thaievisa site that you can apply for either Single or ME non imm O now!!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Phil Whiteway said:

It appears on the English Thaievisa site that you can apply for either Single or ME non imm O now!!

Please show evidence to support your info .

I have just looked at the new on line visa application page and what I am reading gives real food for thought , reason 

1/  There is no longer a concession on income / savings offered to UK state pensioners ,

2/ Unless I am missing something the non o is only available to foreigners who are related to / or married to Thai citizens .

3/ The o/a visa is now the appropriate visa for non related applicants  ?  Comes with income / savings rules etc .

4/ I cannot find reference to multi entry visas ( maybe apparent when applying ? )

5/ More concerning is the bottom line on the non-o/x  visa which would give an assumption that you are disqualified from the quoted benefits unless you are a holder of the o/x visa , pasted below the extract 

Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders
 • Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).
 • Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).
 • Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).