Here's the numbers of expats in Thailand

3 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

Thai economy = 16.316 trillion baht

(= 2018 GDP from Wikipedia)

58,375,200,000 / 16,316,000,000,000 = 0.00358

which works out to expats collectively being worth about 3/1000 of 1% of the Thai economy.

Of course, Felt 35 is counting only Imm deposit money. We contribute in other ways too. Still even multiplying by 10 we're 3/100th of 1%.

You are wrong, it´s 0,358%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Makes you wonder who is posting on this forum. Allegedly over 300,000 members.

If every single expat in Thailand was a member it would still be barely 50%. Would seem quite apparent that the vast majority of members are not Thai residents, but all have an opinion. Perhaps that is why the forum is such an overwhelmingly depressing place - many ex residents who got burnt by the proverbial dumb farmers daughter and will spend the rest of their leisure time knocking the place and the people. Sad.

I wonder what psychologists would make of this phenomena. 

Good market for anti depressant pills.  

There usually is a large capital inflow the first few years also, when you buy your house/condo ....or some of you buy this before even moving here?  Then furniture, automobiles, often more than one, or motorbikes, whatever, I paid big one time fees to international schools, twice, I adopted a child, not from a partner ....there are big private medical bills from time to time, funerals, all kinds of things that go beyond the average monthly cost of living.

Yes, and Greenside made a great point that many expats are dying and leaving all of their assets behind to someone here!!

Why are people here stick on using 800,000 as a figure for their calculation?  I know it is what is needed to be in bank account.

However that is NOT the figure in which a person spends... (averages out to be $2000 /month)

Take my situation for example, my wife has an ED Visa,  I work a Rotation Schedule (outside of Thailand) and come back using VE's... We easily spend over $2K a month ,  sometimes even double that depending upon what we decide to do or get.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Shocking only 72,969 of us old worn out retiree's in the world want to retire here despite the young attractions and I suppose that figure just had to end in 69????

if you want a little more fun go for the 969  that is also offered

• Thanks 1

An interesting set of figures.

It somehow confirms my personal observations that the perceived number of expats was way out of whack with the actual number especially up in my area where the numbers seem to go into terminal decline post 2014.

The immigration office at Phibun was a very busy place indeed..but once it moved to Sirinthorn and thence to Ubon it became much quieter.

4 hours ago, Xavnel said:

Why are people here stick on using 800,000 as a figure for their calculation?  I know it is what is needed to be in bank account.

However that is NOT the figure in which a person spends... (averages out to be $2000 /month)

Take my situation for example, my wife has an ED Visa,  I work a Rotation Schedule (outside of Thailand) and come back using VE's... We easily spend over $2K a month ,  sometimes even double that depending upon what we decide to do or get.

Absolutely true and that number is not included in GDP anyway. It's a dead deposit, not a product of any description, it being returnable.

The report is stark reminder that retirees and spouses should not over-estimate their importance because, well, because they aren't important.

• Like 2

Oh dear4, I can also read. I was relating to the post in this thread that referred to expats. I thought you understood that when reading. Means that migrant workers from nearby countries id not included in their belief. However, now I explained it.
I understood exactly what I read.

Foreigner = Non-Thai
Expat = Non-Thai residing in Thailand

Migrant workers from other ASEAN countries are also expats. So, the estimation for this report is almost 4.9 million foreigners residing in Thailand. Although there are almost 490.000 stateless persons who might not be considered as expats strictly speaking.

6 minutes ago, Mai Mee Tang said:

I understood exactly what I read.

Foreigner = Non-Thai
Expat = Non-Thai residing in Thailand

Migrant workers from other ASEAN countries are also expats. So, the estimation for this report is almost 4.9 million foreigners residing in Thailand. Although there are almost 490.000 stateless persons who might not be considered as expats strictly speaking.

No meaning talking about that, as you clearly can see, even the report makes a differens out of that. Only you that appearently need to push for beeing absolutely one with your explaination of words. Get over it.

No meaning talking about that, as you clearly can see, even the report makes a differens out of that. Only you that appearently need to push for beeing absolutely one with your explaination of words. Get over it.

Umm...what? The word “expat” is not defined by race!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

There's 38 million on Non O-A's alone, according to the figures supplied earlier in the year by the Department of Health in their push for mandatory insurance. 

If all the 38 million (sic) were to draw out their 800k and leave at the same time, that'd be

30,400,000,000,000 baht (30 trillion) out the window. 

There's 38 million on Non O-A's alone, according to the figures supplied earlier in the year by the Department of Health in their push for mandatory insurance. 

If all the 38 million (sic) were to draw out their 800k and leave at the same time, that'd be
30,400,000,000,000 baht (30 trillion) out the window. 

That turned out to be an error ( 38 million was the number of visitors that year ) OA figures were something like 79,000 .
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 11:02 PM, Xavnel said:

For everybody like you (x2) there's probably somebody spending 1\2 that & good luck continuing your frequent visits on Visa Exempt, I work in SG & visit an average of 3 times every 2 months, 1 awkward conversation with an IO & i got a Non-O (over 50) & count in these numbers.

End of the day your average Expat probably has a lot less Purchasing power today & looking at the fact that they count for ~1% of the the population, its not hard to see why Thailand is not too concerned whether we stay or go.

Edited by Mike Teavee