Underpass/overpass To San Kamphaeng

Donnyboy

the underpass/overpass on the super highway to San Kamphaeng by Makro is nearly complete, well the overpass is anyway. Have been travelling and doing the U-turns for nearly 11 months? on that stretch of rd and am looking forward to a straight run from S.K to town.

actually, this project has been quicker than the San Sai and Mae Jo ones. Whys that? Due to political influence?

whats that new little building theyve got going up on the left, going out to S.K.just before the intersection?

whats that new little building theyve got going up on the left, going out to S.K.just before the intersection?

probably a police post. you know a place to chill out and have a couple of beers under the hot sun. all sponsored by people like "cotto tiles". a least the last post they had there and destroyed was sponsored by cotto tiles :o.

there was a post about this sometime last year if i remember correct.

*UPDATE*

just went thru 1 hour ago....its open. But its taking longer to go thru as there are traffic lights controling it at the moment.

Bring back the U-Turn!!!!

I went through it on Sunday and as I was approaching it showed 168 seconds on the time down clock! I am hoping that this is because the traffic on the ring road still isn't going via the underpass. When that section of the road is completed it *should* reduce the standing time.

For the first time in a while, I went north past the Rajabat campus, couldn't find the post office, and had to turn around and around. Will these underpasses never come clean? I recall they started the construction around 2004 (Western Calendar). "In the year 2525, if man is still alive...."

On the bike, I still make better time, going straight along the superhighway frontage roads, than if the traffic lights were still there.

*UPDATE*

just went thru 1 hour ago....its open. But its taking longer to go thru as there are traffic lights controling it at the moment.

I went through it on Sunday and as I was approaching it showed 168 seconds on the time down clock! I am hoping that this is because the traffic on the ring road still isn't going via the underpass. When that section of the road is completed it *should* reduce the standing time.

yes I see they have installed a count down timer now which they didnt have on saturday.- great for praticing my launch control (sorry, justed hyped from watching F1 yesterday)

underpass shouldnt be too far away from completion, i think all they need to do is the final concrete pour on the parts leading to the superhighway that were broken up by the u-turns

at a guess 3 weeks to a month? could have been longer if this was built on swamp land :o

Edited by Donnyboy

*UPDATE*

Got stuck the other night at 186 seconds...busy... :D but just had a great week bombing up and down in a new sportsrider a couple of times a day between the D2W and Mae-on.

Highlands Golf Club do a nice lunch :o and the dust appears to ahve settled...

Haven't seen anyone working on the Chang Puak/Superhighway underpass for some months. Any bets that they've run out of money again, what with the price of imported steel going down as the baht rises.

Spot on mate! That's the secong time they have run out of budget, and this time there is nobody around to bail them out. The provincial government have approached Bangkok for increased funding. After all IT WAS the brainchild of the late great TS :o

Haven't seen anyone working on the Chang Puak/Superhighway underpass for some months. Any bets that they've run out of money again, what with the price of imported steel going down as the baht rises.

Spot on mate! That's the secong time they have run out of budget, and this time there is nobody around to bail them out. The provincial government have approached Bangkok for increased funding. After all IT WAS the brainchild of the late great TS :o

what they could do is to open up a toll or maybe two tolls just before the construction areas. collect them toll money so that they can continue with the construction both at san dek and changpuek intersections.

they proved quite successful with the increase of the airport tax to fund repairs of the new airport. same concept.

:D

It is astonishing how these people can make such a pig's ear out of a simple problem. Their foreign consultants from, I think, the Netherlands wrote a lengthy report suggesting getting rid of traffic lights etc., and replacing with roundabouts. They did just this, in effect, during the construction process and traffic flowed smoothly throughout. NO long tailbacks.

As soon as the work is almost finished, we are getting kilometer plus tailbacks on Sankhampaeng Road. It will end up being like the Hang Dong road, where the queues for the lights on the middle ring road sometimes approach four kilometers. Never a queue at all when we enjoyed the roundabout during construction.

I find it fascinating too, that the free flowing underpass is carrying ring road traffic to and from the canal road, probably less than 5% of the volume of the Hang Dong road traffic, which has to suffer long traffic light delays and consequent long queues.

Don't you love the THAI Way!

I find it fascinating too, that the free flowing underpass is carrying ring road traffic to and from the canal road, probably less than 5% of the volume of the Hang Dong road traffic, which has to suffer long traffic light delays and consequent long queues.

You forget that this is an essential underpass to permit the major flow of traffic to the night safari. :o

You forget that this is an essential underpass to permit the major flow of traffic to the night safari. :o

Close but not correct, it is an essential underpass to permit the major flow of traffic FROM the night safari after they realise that they were ripped off and can't really get a koala burger as promised by k. Taksin. :D