Savannakhet 1 Tourist Visa only?

Just been told unofficially- the print document shop - that only one Tourist Visa is issued.

I've lived Thailand for a number of years, numerous Tourist visas from Savannakhet along with a number of short overstays. Never been a problem as I can show funds and give an explanation why I'm here. Recently been back to home country and returned on Visa exempt then extended.

It took awhile but have the 800k in Thai bank. Due to conflicting advice stuffed up rolling straight onto Retirement extension so needed to do visa run.

Arrived late at consulate and just thought I'd get paperwork sorted. Print shop bloke just said I wouldnt get tourist Visa. Need to fly back home!

New rule just in last month. Nothing about funds. Have my letters / statements from bank.

Nothing to do with back to bank, number per year, funds etc. If you have one you won't get another.

Option is to book a ticket out and get a transit. Or I only have one Visa exempt stamp this year so could fly back to BKK.

Once back in Thailand with 15 days remaining on Visa I'm right. Land crossing not feasible as 15 days is when I get to Immigration office near home.

Has anyone heard of this "only one tourist visa"!

Yes, what you were told appears to be true. The cause is the massive numbers Savannakhet has experienced since Vientiane introduced their appointment system.

Enter visa exempt (30 days that can be extended by a further 30 days at immigration) and prepare for a conversion to a non immigrant entry at immigration with a view to applying for a retirement extension.

Thaivisaservice ( visarun company ) has this info as latest..

Usually they are pretty correct..

UPDATE 27.7: for Tourist Visa, apply if your stay is less than 90 days in past 6 month, still MUST show own Thai Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from your Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. Onward air ticket is not required at the moment.

One thing that I don't get is how can a tourist open a bank account in Thailand these days and MUST show own Thai Book Bank with balance THB 20,00 on a visa exempt coming in Thailand before even applying for a tourist visa abroad?......I have an Non O visa based on marriage and was only lucky to open one with Krungsri bank after being denied all other Thai banks. AM I missing something as it makes no sense.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, time2093 said:

One thing that I don't get is how can a tourist open a bank account in Thailand these days and MUST show own Thai Book Bank with balance THB 20,00 on a visa exempt coming in Thailand before even applying for a tourist visa abroad?......I have an Non O visa based on marriage and was only lucky to open one with Krungsri bank after being denied all other Thai banks. AM I missing something as it makes no sense.

You’re not expected to show 20K in. Thai bank when getting a visa or entering with Visa Exemption. 

When applying for a visa visa you can show a foreign bank statement and when entering the country it must be cash (travellers cheques).

Many banks still won’t open an account if the person only has a tourist visa.

39 minutes ago, time2093 said:

It’s obvious is not for tourists. Real tourists (or the ones that they want whom come and stay in expensive resorts for one or two weeks and then leave) come in visa exempt, unless they hold weak passports. This whole thing is related to something else. There’s some type of system being used to filter out certain types of people. Though I’m not sure why because it’s all revenue at the end.

Edited by Nuki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

If this was true and it happened last month, surely there would be 100s getting denied per day.

And this is the first we have heard of it?

Id suggest this "print shop" guy might be trying on a new career/service as an agent/greaser and is fitting you up.

There have been reports on here (either one tourist visa only, or maximum 90 days in Thailand) over the last week or so. For instance see https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1115642-savannakhet-setv-refusal/. I personally believe it, but would be interested to see confirmation or denial from the visa run companies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, time2093 said:

.....I have an Non O visa based on marriage and was only lucky to open one with Krungsri bank after being denied all other Thai banks.....WHY Were YOU " Lucky " Should have NO Problem with that type of Visa !!!

In reference to opening Thai bank accounts on tourist visas. Yes they can.

Branches try to tell you no however print requirements from their webpage and show them. Politely.

Just tell them you need it for 800k retirement. Then for some reason you need a Thai person to ID you.

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

.....I have an Non O visa based on marriage and was only lucky to open one with Krungsri bank after being denied all other Thai banks.....WHY Were YOU " Lucky " Should have NO Problem with that type of Visa !!!

Tell that to Kasikorn, Siam Bank, Bangkok bank when they refused to open me an account as they wanted a Non O-A visa aka retirement 55 and over not a Non O visa as these days to get something done in Thailand you need luck.

15 hours ago, Kosmo Smallpiece said:

Shooting oneself in the foot seems to be a Thai trait.

And yet this forum is dedicated to cataloging all the screw-ups by clueless farang..

19 hours ago, Toadie said:

. Due to conflicting advice stuffed up rolling straight onto Retirement extension so needed to do visa run

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

There have been reports on here (either one tourist visa only, or maximum 90 days in Thailand) over the last week or so. For instance see https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1115642-savannakhet-setv-refusal/. I personally believe it, but would be interested to see confirmation or denial from the visa run companies.

we can confirm that statement, at the moment Savannakhet issue Tourist Visa only to people which stayed less than 90 days in Thailand in the past 6 month. Proof of funds still required. This is local rule to reduce the number of applicants. 

• Thanks 2

My Tourist Visa application accepted! Person in front of me told you already been here 90 days I was expecting the same. Lady asked what was in the envelope. Bank statements for 800k. Done!

Not entirely relaxed until passbook back in hand but if Visa required to start retirement extension it seems to be accepted.

Otherwise back to back tourist visas regardless of money in bank seems to be a thing of the past.

Under 50, single, not working legally, not investing, not going elite route your options are limited for long stay in the kingdom. Fair enough really. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, Expat Brad said:

I was at Savannakhet yesterday and yes, only 1 90 day allowed there now. A young guy infront of me, tried to apply for his 2nd, he showed funds of 40k but, they denied him.

The contentious point is, will they give you 1 entry at Savannakhet if you just had a previous SETV at say, Vientane?

Or are they knocking back anyone who has been in the country longer than 90 days?

In that case, if someone had just maxed out an METV for nearly 9 months and applied for 1 SETV at Savannakhet they would get denied?