Q: Ekkamai (sukhumvit Soi 63)

Sonic

Hi, can anyone here let me know what the Ekkamai area (Sukhumvit soi 63) is like?

Is it a nice family residential area, business district or something in between?

I've noticed a Big C there so I assume there are families in the vicinity.

I'm also curious to know if it's supposed to be a "hi-so" area as I was told that Thong Lor (the parallel soi to this) a hi-so area.

I'd be grateful for any info on this area.

Thanks!!!

I used to live right near Ekkamai. I wouldn't call it hi-so, in the sense I think of it, but is definitely a mid-upper class area.

It's quite a hip street, Ekkamai, and has a few quite popular clubs. But it's not too interesting a street compared to it's parallel neighbor.

As for Thong Lo, it's the most unique street in Bangkok, in my opinion. It's just kind of a unique place. Nowhere in Bangkok looks like it. It's not a long street, but you can find a lot of different types of areas including a side street with architecture modeled after English architecture. Feels like you're in London. Anyway, it's definitely an interesting area, and rent will be more expensive in this area. It's definitely family friendly. Thong Lo is probably more expensive than Ekkamai. It's right in the city so you have both business and residential all in the area.

While we are on the subject of Thonglo, does anyone know of any nice apartments available in Thonglo apart from centrepoint? I'm not looking for anything cheap and cheerful so please don't suggest any rat holes to me. I want something classy with all the mod cons etc, preferably a serviced residence A one bedroom suite would be just fine.

I do know BKK very well so if anyone knows of any other places I might be interested in then please let me know.

"As for Thong Lo, it's the most unique street in Bangkok, in my opinion. "

That's for sure. Many real estate brokers refer to this area as "the Beverly Hills of Thailand". Part of that claim is due to the number of very expensive furniture stores. I've always wondered how many 750,000 THB brown suede sofas are sold in an average month, and my guess it is "zero". With the polluted klong, abandoned buildings, and lack of the ability to easily cross the street from noe side to the other, I consider it to be more like the Beverly hillbillies".