Biometric Passport Photo

stoweq

Almost any digital lab can do them. The Brits are very particular about the white background and no shadows, also be aware their requirement for the head size (28-34mm) is a little different to most other countries (32-36mm). So take a copy of the requirements to show the people who do the photo and the print. I have had a lot of grief over this.

Also if you wear glasses make sure there is no flare on the lenses, it is often better to have the photo without glasses even if you are blind without them.

The biometric stuff is the 80 measurements they take off the photo and embed in a chip in the middle of the passport, there are currently 27 countries going down this road with more following. The quality of the photo is important for this reason. This is why they will not accept inkjet prints, which what they are referring to by "no digital photos" on the form, badly written.

I need to renew my British passport fairly soon and need one of these newfangled biometric photos.

Does anyone know of somewhere that will do this...... I live in the northeast part of the island.

Ta

Here are the passport photo specifications click the links at the bottom of the page for examples.

In UK the photos produced from the £3 photo booths are acceptable so shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce in a studio.

Hey

I took a friend to get his passport last Wednesday in the USA. I was surprised that the local Courthouse, who accept applications for a US Passport, advertised that they did the 'photos for $ 5. The lady who processed the application, just used a standard digital camera (Fuji Point & Shoot) and printed the picture out on an Inkjet printer and then used a device called a Passport Cutter to cut out the two pics.

I was shocked, but it obviously suffices for the new US ePassport, as that is what he will be issued with apparently.

He paid for the expedited service and it will take approx. 3 weeks to process/issue, according to the Courthouse.

Kind regards

Peter

Here are the passport photo specifications click the links at the bottom of the page for examples.

In UK the photos produced from the £3 photo booths are acceptable so shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce in a studio.

I wish they would be a little more flexible in Oz, the lady at the British consulate can be very hard to please. The Dutch are even more painful, it could be that we are not on their list of "preferred suppliers". :o