New Phone

farangconnection

My wife bought me a new phone the other day, and I must say it caught me by surprise. I didn't know you could get them like this.

My telephone:

DOES NOT have T.V, internet, MP3, camera,video, VCD,VCR,DVD,, microwave oven, two way connection with a Russian space station orbiting Mars,

It DOES NOT have GPS, IRS, ILS, OPS,KHT,JYF, NAAFI,FBI, CIA,

But it does do this new and wonderful idea.

It makes and receives telephone calls.

Do you think it'll catch on?

My wife bought me a new phone the other day, and I must say it caught me by surprise. I didn't know you could get them like this.

My telephone:

DOES NOT have T.V, internet, MP3, camera,video, VCD,VCR,DVD,, microwave oven, two way connection with a Russian space station orbiting Mars,

I do hope so, But the TOT will have to learn how to maintain it!!

I bought a 22,000 baht phone with all the bells and whistles a couple years ago. It had so many gadgets, the battery would only stay charged about 6 hours before needing an A/C outlet to keep functioning. I had two small mishaps, damaging the phone, and repairs were 7,000 baht a pop.

I finally damaged it beyond hope.

In deep depression, I went out and bought a 1,500-baht Nokia. It has about 20 more phone-related functions than the fancy Explore28 model I had--all very practical functions. The battery stays charged for about 4 days. I couldn't be happier! :o

So, does it look like this?

post-566-1175054295.jpg

Don't make fun. The Farang Connection has the top of the line telegraph equipment in Surin. Almost makes the local pigeon office obsolete.

The award winning SE P910 has it all does it all, battery lasts 4 days on full charge and can be bought for 8K

new model out now but will wait till the price drops 29k too much for a phone

29,000 Baht for a phone!!! I didn't pay that much for the car!

CB

My telephone:

I have had my old Nokia 3210 since it was a new model in the dim dark recesses of mobile phone history. Everynow and then I buy a new phone and when it goes bust or borrowed or left in a bar somewhere :o I revert to the old one. I have never (touch wood) had any problems with it from out of the box and it still use used and abused on a regular basis

My wife just had to have the new "video, MP3, photo with flash" model and it has been back at least three times being repaired so she "borrows" my good phone and I get the 3210 which is a model she wouldn't be seen dead with in public :D

CB

post-36525-1175059941_thumb.jpg

All of the manufacturers offer a broad range of phone models here. The Nokia 1110i is widely available for less than 1,600 THB (new, in box). You just need to determine your requirements and applications and then look for the model that meets those requirements. If all you need to do is make/receive calls/SMSes then buy the cheapest phone available. I think this concept caught on several years ago, and clearly your Wife has already caught on.

The award winning SE P910 has it all does it all, battery lasts 4 days on full charge and can be bought for 8K

new model out now but will wait till the price drops 29k too much for a phone

I have a SE P910i and confirm that it has been brilliant, great battery life and gadgets etc (can even listen to Virgin Radio from the UK on it!)

My only grumble is that the number pad has become a bit unresponsive but I have had it for three years and its been through the wars

I too scoffed at all the phone gadgets. I fiddled with settings and trying to check my email. The cameras were almost useless. I hauled my digital camera and my laptop computer all over Thailand. And THEN, the phones got smarter. I am constantly amazed with my Nokia N-80. No more hauling a camera and laptop around. How a device, the size of a pack of cigarettes is able to quickly check email, check my stock prices and even look at Thai Visa is simply amazing. The 3 megapixel camera is surprising as well as the MP3 player. Even more surprising is how cheap it is for the GPRS packages. If I happen to be around a city, sometimes I even get EDGE. I seldom use the radio but it is there. The WiFi is automatic too. If I am in an area where WiFi is available that makes things much faster. I haven't tried it out of the country but the quad band should work nearly anywhere. I must admit that I'm hooked.

My phone has got this game on it where you can control this snake to go round eating things. The more things it eats, the bigger it gets, but you can't crash into the walls or yourself.

We are living in the now.

yep, i'm in the zone of "a phone should make phone calls" and nothing else category. The only exception I make is the alarm clock/reminder function, which for a forgetful p1sshead like me is infintely useful.

Wee story,

My first phone was one of the early shoebox size motorola's and I had it for years.

One day, I was serving in my local (i often used to help out) in, I think it I was living in amsterdam in those days.

There were about 11 regulars at the bar, thursday evening after work drink night for many businesses in our street.

They all had their (in those days) fancy shmancy phones out on the bar, next to their pints and cigarettes and whatever.

So I got an urge.

I made a bet with them, that their expensive phones were far less durable than my old shoebox of which they made infinite fun.

I told them if at the end they didn't agree, I'd buy each and every one of them a pint, and if they had to agree, they had to buy me a pint.

I then took my phone, dunked it in the glass wash sink, washed it with the sponge, in the water, took it out, flipped it open, and pressed the ON button.

Nothing.

Bugger.

Took the battery out, sim chip, gave them a quick dry on a towel, and put it bakc together, clicked ON...

Nothing...

I then told 'em to give me five minutes.

I (in front of them all) put it on top of the espresso machine (which has a warm rack to keep cups on) in it's pieces, and left it, essentially to dry.

The evening continued on to other things, and about a half hour later, someone remembered, and said "Chris, Where's you amazing indestructible phone?"

I then remembered about it, took it off the coffee machine, put it back together, clicked ON... Bingo.....

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, Would any of you like me to try this with your fancy schmansy mobiles?

Dead silence..

thank you Ladies and gentlemen again. That'll be eleven Pints,

headed MY WAY....

:o

I still have one of the first GSM 900 World phones. It is an old Motorola. It is about twice as big as a normal phone and is a little big to put in your pants pocket. Eventually the battery lost power and got to the point that I had to keep the charger plugged in all the time. Finally the display gave up. The phone still works other than the display is gone. My friend has a business and he is using it for his business phone. No one would want to steal it and it the call quality is excellent.

My telephone:

You must be scratching your head how a piss take on phones can divert into a serious discussion on the various merits of top end mobiles. When I first read the post I thought - ah should have posted it on Jokes - make my day forum instead. :o

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

My telephone:

You must be scratching your head how a piss take on phones can divert into a serious discussion on the various merits of top end mobiles. When I first read the post I thought - ah should have posted it on Jokes - make my day forum instead. :o

CB

That's what Thai Visa is all about................................................................of course there are some numbies that can't differentiate, then you have to post on the jokes forum.

.............But I was being serious.

I give a crap to all those cameras and stuff, but a decent contact organizer is what I haven't found yet.

Step 1: Assigning categories to my contacts. No problem for most phones, but when it comes to multiple categories for the same contact, it gets already difficult. But one and the same person could qualify as "customer" and also as "friend" or whatever.

Step 2: Assigning call times to the categories. Say, customers can call in until 7 pm, friends until 10 pm and VIPs 24 hours. Service resumes at 8 am on weekdays and significantly later on weekends. During the off-time, the call will be recorded but the phone won't ring.

Haven't found a phone that can do step 2 so far.

and as we are at it: Ringtones: :o The good old Siemens S4 had 12 years ago a ringtone unparalleled until now. A decent brrt-brrt that went from very low volume louder and louder with every ring. Not annoying anyone but audible. Never heard such a ring tone again, not even on later Siemens models.

• 2 weeks later...

My telephone:

so that's where my phone went after my last visit to that "pub"...enjoy it and try some numbers left in the phone memory, they can make your day ... (you might need a few "blue's" at your age) :o

Its funny how this thread got 19 replies (as I write) when my question (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115765) is still left unanswered.

It is now being pushed back into the dark corners of the forum where it will soon join

all the creepy crawlies under the sink...

Tough luck!

Edited by sensei

that is a good phone!

My wife just had to have the new "video, MP3, photo with flash" model and it has been back at least three times being repaired so she "borrows" my good phone and I get the 3210 which is a model she wouldn't be seen dead with in public :o

CB

post-36525-1175059941_thumb.jpg

yeh I'm looking for a new phone now too.

I've got a Nokia 62301i which I wanted for the PIM functions and MP3 playback etc etc, only to find that even though I bought a 512M MMC card for it, all the calendar events and todos etc are crammed into 8M of phone memory. Useless - 30 todo items and it's full... The memory card is only available for MP3 files and pictures and video you take. The camera is basically ok in full daylight for a typical portrait or scenery shot, other than that it's hopeless.

But by far the worst point about the phone is that you can't hear the ###### thing!!!

Both the ringer volume and the speaker for incoming voice are woefully inadequate.

I called Nokia about it, and they don't publish specs for either of these things - not for this phone, not for any of thier new ones either. I spend a lot of time in noisy environments, so these specs will be at the top of my list when considering which phone to get next, yet Nokia don't even publish them - I'll have to start looking at other brands now.

For now, I've gone back to "old faithful" - a 1110...