Fishing In Isaan

Gimbo

I love fishing. Been a passion of mine since I was a kid, and would love to try out some of the rivers in Isaan. So have anyone tried it?

I have seen a local or two with fishing rods, so I guess it is possible..

I guess my much better looking and intelligent half would think her farang has completely lost it if I try, but bringing my ultra light rod next time I come over. The thing fits in my suitcase, so no problem.

So if you see a bunch of people having a ball watching the ting tong farang trying to catch fish, stroll over and have a chat. Might be a beer in it for you :-)

I'll be somewhere north of Buri Ram in mid April.

I love fishing. Been a passion of mine since I was a kid, and would love to try out some of the rivers in Isaan. So have anyone tried it?

I guess my much better looking and intelligent half would think her farang has completely lost it if I try, but bringing my ultra light rod next time I come over. The thing fits in my suitcase, so no problem.

So if you see a bunch of people having a ball watching the ting tong farang trying to catch fish, stroll over and have a chat. Might be a beer in it for you :-)

Nice fishing park in Krasang, chinese/thai lady owns it, if you want more info e-mail [email protected] he is a mate of mine and set it all up for the owner, it is a good place, also i have 3 lakes outside Buriram. if you wanted to do some fishing.

Krasang is Half way from Buriram to Surin.

Edited by Thaicoon

Nice fishing park in Krasang, chinese/thai lady owns it, if you want more info e-mail [email protected] he is a mate of mine and set it all up for the owner, it is a good place, also i have 3 lakes outside Buriram. if you wanted to do some fishing.

Krasang is Half way from Buriram to Surin.

That sounds interesting. I will be up in Phuttaisong, but only for 3-4 days on this trip. So going to Krasang is no option this time around. But will go on a longer trip in june and travel around quite a bit. So will definately make a stop at this fishing park then.

Else in September I make the big move, going to base myself up there, while working abroad. So between jobs you will just have to get used to this dude farting about with his fishing rod. Definately will give your lakes a try sooner or later, Thaicoon, so thanks again for the offer :-)

Has anyone had any luck fishing in the Maenamchi river or the Maenamhuay in Roi-et Province? I've tried for hours on end, using live bait, artificial lures, the whole works. Never even a bite. But having said that, in California, years ago, I would catch nothing even though fellows on either side of me would pull in fish by the score (and I'd use the same bait as them!!!).

Caught barb and giant snakehead in Cheow Lan lake north of Phuket using silver colored 2 gram spinners on my UL.

Also used a locally made lure. It's wooden, and with a two pronged hook, and have a small propeller in the front for enticing the fish to strike. Dont have pictures of the lure, but maybe someone have seen something simmilllar. But a tackle shop somewhere should be able to supply you.

have been a fishing fanatic for years and have held a few ultra-light records for years in south africa. fishing in isaan was a huge anticlimax (almost) wherever there is a likelihood of there being good fishing in public waters,you will find gillnets etc strung about and mostly the fishing is lousy. there are many very exciting fish species in thailand and some of them grow to huge proportions. only place you get good fishing opportunities seems to be in the "fishing parks, where good gamefish seem to attain huge proportions,and are not readily taken out by the locals who do not use reels with brake (drag) systems and then simply get snapped off by anything weighing over half a kilo. you can find these parks all over isaan- my favourite was one on the way out of khorat (nakon rachassima) on the road coming back out of town from macro going back to the "superhighway". just a few hundred metres before the traffic lights on the main road in the city, there is a small sign, which leads you around the back of a used car sales place to a small impoundment, where i was very happy to catch and release a 15kg "blah sawaai"- a beautiful and hard-fighting fish,-have never caught a freshwater fish of that size displaying that much speed and staying power! another very exciting species is the torpedo-shaped bla-shon, which i rank as one of the hardest fighting of all the freshwater fish i have ever caught. hope you find a good spot, really sad to have to go to a park to have a shot at a good fish, but that seems to be one of the realities of life in thailand. dont worry about the tingtong thing- they watched me using a flyrod off the coast of kho tao and laughed like hel_l until i started catching fish on a large popper made from an old thai "flipflop" sandal.

regards and wishing you "tight- lines" ,

frikkie

Several of the locals in my village go fishing in the Mae Nam Mun, my brother-in-law included. They would only think you mad if you caught something but threw it back :o

They would only think you mad if you caught something but threw it back :o

Indeed, the looks of disbelief you get are quite incredible. Young children will follow a farang carrying a fishing rod just to stand and stare at the crazy man catching fish and then putting them back. :D

They would only think you mad if you caught something but threw it back :o

Indeed, the looks of disbelief you get are quite incredible. Young children will follow a farang carrying a fishing rod just to stand and stare at the crazy man catching fish and then putting them back. :D

I will disappoint them greatly then, as I eat what I catch (or feed it to the cat). Never been much for catch and release unless it's bellow size limits. Besides Nan will have my hide if I throw away perfectly good food. And believe me, all of her 150 cm and 42 kilos can be really, really scary ;-)

And believe me, all of her 150 cm and 42 kilos can be really, really scary ;-)

That I would never doubt for a second ...... most Isaan women are a force that goes well beyond their physical stature.

Fortunately (for us)..... the story doesn't end there.

I does not matter if you catch anything as long as you are FISHING!!!!

My friend Albert, happy again.

Thats the spirit!

There is hope in a hanging line as we say at home :-)

Sorry all, but i really cant think of anything more mind numbingly boring as FISHING! Come on lads there must be more to life than that. :o

I am not in to fishing myself (each to their own though) but the village where my girlfriend lives has a (I would call it a big) pond and once a year the whole village (or near enough) turn up and fish it.

I have never seen so many diverse ways of catching fish (my girlfriend caught 2 which we ate that evening), rods, nets (many types of nets), swimming and many more. :D

I know not the type of fishing you enjoy but a fishing story all the same :D I just hope my friends are not reading this :o

Steve :D:D:bah:

Thats the spirit!

Sorry all, but i really cant think of anything more mind numbingly boring as FISHING! Come on lads there must be more to life than that. :D

Like living in Surin? :o

The most relaxing thing ive ever done was fishing on a quiet river bank or lake side, the most mind numbingly boring to me are english leauge football, golf and cricket tennis, not to mention formula 1, pit stop tactic races, what crap!! who really cares if ferrari can change 4 wheels .3 of a sec quicker than mclaren????? real challenging sports are MOTO GP, all kinds of downhill skiing, and a yard of ale contest, dont get that here in Thai though :o

The most relaxing thing ive ever done was fishing on a quiet river bank or lake side, the most mind numbingly boring to me are english leauge football, golf and cricket tennis, not to mention formula 1, pit stop tactic races, what crap!! who really cares if ferrari can change 4 wheels .3 of a sec quicker than mclaren????? real challenging sports are MOTO GP, all kinds of downhill skiing, and a yard of ale contest, dont get that here in Thai though :o

I didnt think any of the sports you mentioned were meant to be relaxing. For example, I couldn't imagine sitting by the ringside of a boxing ring watching Mike Tyson (in his prime), beat the crap out os someone as relaxing! :D

Thats the spirit!

Sorry all, but i really cant think of anything more mind numbingly boring as FISHING! Come on lads there must be more to life than that. :D

Like living in Surin? :o

Ahh, Surin aint to bad if you no where to go. Or try asking newbie surinmike if he posts on this thread :D

The most relaxing thing ive ever done was fishing on a quiet river bank or lake side, the most mind numbingly boring to me are english leauge football, golf and cricket tennis, not to mention formula 1, pit stop tactic races, what crap!! who really cares if ferrari can change 4 wheels .3 of a sec quicker than mclaren????? real challenging sports are MOTO GP, all kinds of downhill skiing, and a yard of ale contest, dont get that here in Thai though :D

I could not agree with you more, but I guess it's not for everyone. :D

Anyway, the rod and tackle box is definately being packed this time around. I sort of mentioned it to my better half, and her "up to you" was in the tone she reserves for the occations when she thinks I have completely lost all of my marbles. :o

After all: "Have fish in market, tilac,"

We will see :D

What about a fishing weekend in Kong Chiam, where the Mekong and the Mun river meets?

I was there 4 weeks ago and saw some "not too old" pics of giant catfish in a floating restaurant.

When are you back in Phibun Mike?? This is your back yard. :D

For those who are not too keen on fishing, the scenery is great, and for sure cold beer and hot coffee are not far away. :o

I didnt think any of the sports you mentioned were meant to be relaxing. For example, I couldn't imagine sitting by the ringside of a boxing ring watching Mike Tyson (in his prime), beat the crap performing acts of cannibalism on someone as relaxing! :D

I didnt think any of the sports you mentioned were meant to be relaxing. For example, I couldn't imagine sitting by the ringside of a boxing ring watching Mike Tyson (in his prime), beat the crap performing acts of cannibalism on someone as relaxing! :D

HEY!! That's not funny. :o I paid big money to have a good seat it a very nice sports bar to watch that fight. Iron Mike WAS frustrated and tired of getting beat on.

I didnt think any of the sports you mentioned were meant to be relaxing. For example, I couldn't imagine sitting by the ringside of a boxing ring watching Mike Tyson (in his prime), beat the crap out os someone as relaxing! :D

Didnt mention boxing, there are 3 catogories in my reply, relaxing-fishing,boring, football tennis cricket golf and formula 1, exciting, Moto GP, downhill skiing,and a yard of ale contest, and on the other hand, i wouldnt pay big money to watch 2 big black men knock seven shades of shit out of each other either, you can see this for free in all english towns and cities most nights, its nice to be away from all that crap and get taxed for it!!

• 1 month later...

have been a fishing fanatic for years and have held a few ultra-light records for years in south africa. fishing in isaan was a huge anticlimax (almost) wherever there is a likelihood of there being good fishing in public waters,you will find gillnets etc strung about and mostly the fishing is lousy. there are many very exciting fish species in thailand and some of them grow to huge proportions. only place you get good fishing opportunities seems to be in the "fishing parks, where good gamefish seem to attain huge proportions,and are not readily taken out by the locals who do not use reels with brake (drag) systems and then simply get snapped off by anything weighing over half a kilo. you can find these parks all over isaan- my favourite was one on the way out of khorat (nakon rachassima) on the road coming back out of town from macro going back to the "superhighway". just a few hundred metres before the traffic lights on the main road in the city, there is a small sign, which leads you around the back of a used car sales place to a small impoundment, where i was very happy to catch and release a 15kg "blah sawaai"- a beautiful and hard-fighting fish,-have never caught a freshwater fish of that size displaying that much speed and staying power! another very exciting species is the torpedo-shaped bla-shon, which i rank as one of the hardest fighting of all the freshwater fish i have ever caught. hope you find a good spot, really sad to have to go to a park to have a shot at a good fish, but that seems to be one of the realities of life in thailand. dont worry about the tingtong thing- they watched me using a flyrod off the coast of kho tao and laughed like hel_l until i started catching fish on a large popper made from an old thai "flipflop" sandal.

frikkie

Frikkie,

I am visiting Korat next month and driving from khon Kaen, staying at Royal Princess. This fishing park that you mention..does it have rods for hire or should I bring my own ?, does it have resturaunt i.e. food and beer ? and most importantly as never been in Korat can you give me directions from hotel

Thank you

KK boy

frikkie

Hello Frikkiedeboer ( thats a hel_l of a name, did you have problems at school? )

I love fishing as well but I have only fished for salt water fish in New Zealand.

Tried trout fishing for a while with flies but only did well harling " dragging a fly behind a boat at low speed ".

When I am upcountry, there is quite a large lake not far away that supplies water to the village and for the small gardens.

The village is God aweful boring and I walk around the lake now and then and look for fish. They tell me that there are some BIG ones in there, up to 9kgs.

Tilapia, catfish and some other fish ( or two ) that they cant translate.

What I want to know is, how do you catch these things?

I read another post from someone that is really keen and he used a mixture of chicken and dough. But he only went to the pay to fish type ponds.

Do you use a rig that sinks to the bottom or floats somwhere near the top?

Are poppers and spinners effective?

Floats?

I would be greatfull for any advice because I am quite happy to sit by any type of water with a line in it and a few bottles of Leo. But I enjoy catching the things.

Thanks.

Vegemite,

it does all depend on what fish are in there

Pla nin, Pla sawai, Pla chon, Pla moor,pla chin, pla isok, pla tapien, pla duuk....and the list goes on

For the non float fishing it is the spiral wound cage with the weight inside and about 4 -6 hooks, the bait which can be bought from any bait shop is a mixture (your in laws should be able to help with this) of what looks like sand (red bag with a fish on the front) and a mixture of bread and other stuff (can come in many colours and is like dough) you can also add what is scent available in small bottles e.g. jasmine, vanilla, etc

Float fishing is using a spiral hook set up again but without the weight inside and the same bait.

Have tried various combinations on the hook from the bait mixture along with polystyrene balls on the hook to maggots, worms and kai moot dang (red ant eggs)

As you say with a few beers a most enjoyable day can be had

KK boy

• 2 weeks later...

Frikkie,

I am visiting Korat next month and driving from khon Kaen, staying at Royal Princess. This fishing park that you mention..does it have rods for hire or should I bring my own ?, does it have resturaunt i.e. food and beer ? and most importantly as never been in Korat can you give me directions from hotel

Thank you

KK boy

sorry, i forgot i had made this post- the forum has me totally addicted and i read and post all over the place. so i hope you get to read this before your trip

the "fishing park" i mentioned ,i found accidentally while i was waiting at the used car lot for them to process the papers for the pickup i had just bought.

i could not possibly direct you from your hotel, as i never spent much time there except for fishing and buying cars, but i can tell you that if you are travelling out of khorat towards chok chai-(the main road that will eventually lead you past the dan quien pottery village thing), you will see a "big c" on a road intersecting from the left. there is also a shop selling tropical fish (at grossly inflated prices) on the same side of the road. get the taxi driver to take you up this road and look for used car sales places on the right. there is a traffic island right down the middle, so you will have to do a u-turn. the last used car lot going towards the main road-i.e. the first one you passed on the way in, has a small sign with: guess what?- a fish and some thai writing on it. it probably says "fishing park"-cant read thai but this is possible, even in thailand!

it is not a large pond, simple rectangle, and quite boring, with no trees, but quite a pleasant "salah" built on a simple attempt at a jetty. the owner and his wife are very accommodating and he will rent you his personal rod for something like 50baht. they will serve you beers and good, clean,and very reasonably priced thai food at the waterside.

they regularly stock with all sorts of different ,mostly small fish- i was very surprised to be catching pirhanas there! since they are not indigenous i made enquiries and was told that they are the fruit eating kind, but i still didnt take any chances!

the "sawaai" can be seen early morning and late afternoon making huge swirls on the surface as they feed. they are very large, and although i caught my first on artlure (a rubber worm fished weightless), they seem to be suckers for catfish pellets, moistened and then kneaded into a stiff dough of white bread kneaded together with some of the water from the pond. the longer you knead it the stickier it becomes and the stiffer it is the better it strays on the hook. the catfish pellets are available at almost any corner shop or talaat. after loading the hook, i roll the ball of dough over some dry pellets , which slowly disintegrate in the water and act as an attractant. fish it off a float , the bait hanging 40cm from the float.

please do release your catch- there is plenty of small stuff you will probably catch for the pot on the same bait that will keep the thai family members happy

enjoy your trip, and "tight lines"

frikkie

Sorry all, but i really cant think of anything more mind numbingly boring as FISHING! Come on lads there must be more to life than that. :o

not much more to life than that, but apart from drinking, the only thing that beats fishing often has a tendency to smell fishy,too!