Off Road On Doi Inthanon

jaideeguy

Planning an off road trip with 4wd truck and want to check out Doi Inthanon from the back side....any one been there/done that and wanna share experiences. I'm not talking about rough off roading, just a trip away from crowds that won't tear up my vehicle and hopefully at high altitude where it is cooler. any places to set up a tent and camp comfortably safely???

Have been up, down and around Intanon many times and cannot really say I saw many opportunities for off roading, but that does not mean to say they are not there.

I usually stay in Doilo and my favourite drive is to go Hot, Ob Luang, Tha Rua & Om Khud to Kong Khaek Nua, turning right just before Mae Chaem to climb Intanon, and this is where the driving gets to be fun!

This route also avoids the tolls, and, up to now, has proved to be fairly traffic free, probably not no more! :o

Planning an off road trip with 4wd truck and want to check out Doi Inthanon from the back side....any one been there/done that and wanna share experiences. I'm not talking about rough off roading, just a trip away from crowds that won't tear up my vehicle and hopefully at high altitude where it is cooler. any places to set up a tent and camp comfortably safely???

Talk with the driver/guides for the Thanna Jeep Adventure Tours. They have a route that they use from the west side of the mountain that is strictly 4WD, with beautiful views all along the route, and plenty of places to turn off for side excursions.

The Fly Fisherman

140112070-M.jpg

Not really sure exactly where you mean the backside of Doi Inthanon, but Id say your only real options are

1. The Mae Chon Luang Road, north of Inthanon. This one could be a bit rutted towards the Huai Tong end. but check it out, once you get up on the ridgeline it is ok.

2. Maybe the Hin Lek Fai / Huai Sompoi - Pha Tang viewpoint track, SW of Inthanon.

3. The Khun Wang - Nong Tao road is just about all, if not all, asphalt now.

Not sure about camping out anywhere in the Nat Park. Probably should be in the designated areas.

Check out the Inthanon Eco Hut & the Karen Eco Lodge if you want to stay with the locals up on the mountain.

Dont know about "A route that they use from the west side of the mountain that is strictly 4WD, with beautiful views all along the route, and plenty of places to turn off for side excursions" - sounds more like a bit of misinfo probably gained over a few beers.

Take a copy of the Mae Hong Son Loop map with you & you should have all the right info.

There's plenty off-roading (or rather un-paved 'roading' :o on Doi Inthanon, this is a HUGE area with loads of hilltrible villages all over the place, all of which have roads of one variety or another going to them.

Of course the dry season is not the most challenging. Wait for some rain to make things more exciting. :D

Keep in mind Doi Inthanon is VERY hot and dry in the dry season.. Not a lot of water at the waterfalls, and overall things aren't really that lush or anthing.. Personally I'd wait for some rain.