TM30, TM28 and Non-B

Hi guys,

I'm a little bit confused about this whole tm30 mess. I have a non-b visa with a re-entry permit and i travel abroad a lot, so there's no need to visit immigration to do 90day reports. I read that tm30 is a landlord's problem but in the same time i remember immigration info that non-b holders are exempt from a tm28 so it seems like there's no need to fulfill anything by myself. Am I right? How about tm30 then? Can i have any type of problems if landlord wouldn't fulfill this form? 

Edited by grav

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

If you have no need to visit immigration, there is no-one to question you about a Tm30.

That's why I'm confused. As you know non-b is for one year and i'm wondering what happen when i'll try to extend it in next few months

Just now, grav said:

That's why I'm confused. As you know non-b is for one year and i'm wondering what happen when i'll try to extend it in next few months

Where will you extend? As far as I know you are not exempt from TM30 requirement. Particularly if you are in rented accommodation... who owns your place of residence and do they submit TM30 for you? 

It is hard to predict what each IO will require.

Depends on your living situation. If you do for example rent a condo in your name, you are the "possessor" and have the same obligation to submit a TM30 as your landlord. It's enough if one of you does it, but if nobody does it both could be fined.

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where will you extend? As far as I know you are not exempt from TM30 requirement. Particularly if you are in rented accommodation... who owns your place of residence and do they submit TM30 for you? 

It is hard to predict what each IO will require.

The problem is that agency i rent appartment from try to avoid fulfilling this form because they probably don't fully understand this procedure. I'm just wondering can i have any kind of problems with immigration with visa extensions or charges in the future?

9 minutes ago, grav said:

I'm just wondering can i have any kind of problems with immigration with visa extensions or charges in the future?

Potentially yes. They may require you to submit a TM30 before they will process other requirements, for example, Extensions, 90 day reporting, Re-Entry Permit. That is why I asked which IO you will use...  someone here may have personal experience. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Potentially yes. They may require you to submit a TM30 before they will process other requirements, for example, Extensions, 90 day reporting, Re-Entry Permit. That is why I asked which IO you will use...  someone here may have personal experience. 

I'll choose a bureau located in Goverment Complex, as always.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, grav said:

The problem is that agency i rent appartment from try to avoid fulfilling this form because they probably don't fully understand this procedure. I'm just wondering can i have any kind of problems with immigration with visa extensions or charges in the future?

The agency aren't responsible for the TM30 report unless it's in the contract. They are not owner/landlord/possessor. You might get fined at immigration and need to self report the TM30 before applying for the extension. 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, grav said:

No, as I know, non-B is valid for a 90-day entry.

If you get a work permit and a job, you can apply for an extension of stay for one year on the basis of work. But that's not the visa itself.

Jacko's post (#7) is on point.

It really depends on your situation and the immigration office you use. In my province, the head (a colonel, I believe) gave a big talk at our workplace for HR and the farang workers. He was pressed multiple times on the TM-30 issue. He answered by explaining "what the law says" (subtext: he didn't write the law and probably thinks it's silly) and provided his interpretation that it's a "landlord issue," similar to what was in the OP.

When pressed by people who had either been warned (or read) about the consequences of non-compliance with TM-30 (e.g., people saying the Chaengwattana threatened to not extend them next time, stories of people being fined even though it's the landlord's fault), he reiterated that it was the landlord's problem and farang won't be hassled about it. He said we should notify immigration if the landlord doesn't comply, and "we [immigration] will fine them." But he made it clear when specifically challenged that extensions, etc., would not be held up because of it.

My semi-informed understanding is that my employer also has an arrangement with the provincial immigration office in which they report our address as the business address, which apparently satisfies the letter of the law for reporting. So basically, HR is taking the workers and the landlords out of the equation, so that random landlords who happen to rent to farang employees don't have to be hassled with the paperwork.

But...that's just one province with a (seemingly) enlightened person in charge. Who knows if things will change, someone else will take over, or what the circumstances are in your province. 

#YMMV