ICT Plans To Set Up Chiang Mai As ICT Hub Of The Northern Region

Jai Dee

ICT plans to set up Chiang Mai as ICT hub of the northern region

The Minister of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Dr. Sitthichai Phokai-udom (สิทธิชัยโภไคยอุดม) observed the working of agencies under ICT at Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่) Province. ICT Ministry plans to boost Chiang Mai as the ICT hub of the northern region.

This morning, Dr. Sitthichai visited the earthquake inspection center in Chiang Mai, and observed the working of online-digital earthquake inspection machine. Then, he visited Chiang Mai Software Industry Promotion Agency and Chiang Mai Cat Telecom.

Dr. Sitthichai says he plans to set up Chiang Mai as ICT hub of the northern region, supported by Chiang Mai Thailand Post, Chiang Mai TOT, and Chiang Mai Cat Telecom. The project is to facilitate tourism industry in the northern region.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 April 2007

The project is to facilitate tourism industry in the northern region.

I'll bite ,

How ??

It's hard to see what the correlation is between the two. Perhaps something like, "I hear they're writing some great software in Chiang Mai these days... what say we holiday there this year?"

"Does this mean that new optical lines are going to replace the old telephone lines, in an attempt to bring ADSL speeds up to the western world levels?"

And how about for the same price too.? I currently pay about $40 /mo (1350 :o for adsl service that would be laughable back home compared to the $25/mo price for full dsl with instant surfing. I'd only learned how to use bittorrent since coming to THld, so when I went back to the US and used it to download flix I was amazed how things that took half a day or more here would be downloaded in like half an hr there. Just a rant. I know TIT. This is more about show and names than getting me my ultrafast connection somewhere in, say, the next two years.

And for all the compalints about other service on the CM forum thread,. I do get great ADSL, given that we're in CM. It's almost never down and the speed is pretty much what they say it is. I use ji-net and share the line with 10 other ppl for those 1350 baht. I think I have a good deal. I manage to see the Daily Show every week.