Clamouring For A National Religion

camerata

There's another stinging opinion piece from Sanitsuda Ekachai in the Bangkok Post today:

"Unwilling to accept that the decline of public faith in the religious institution is a result of their own closed and corrupt system, the clergy are waging a new public campaign to have Buddhism officially enshrined as the national religion in the new charter. The tide now seems to be on the clergy's side.

The clergy are at it again. The ethno-centric nationalism is in full swing and the concerted efforts to back the clergy seem better organised than ever."

There's another stinging opinion piece from Sanitsuda Ekachai in the Bangkok Post today:

"Unwilling to accept that the decline of public faith in the religious institution is a result of their own closed and corrupt system, the clergy are waging a new public campaign to have Buddhism officially enshrined as the national religion in the new charter. The tide now seems to be on the clergy's side.

The clergy are at it again. The ethno-centric nationalism is in full swing and the concerted efforts to back the clergy seem better organised than ever."

That's a pretty sharply worded and direct piece of opinion for a Thai writing to a mass audience. Every note rings true however. It's quite disturbing for the future of Buddhism in Thailand.

note: perhaps this ought to also posted in the "News" section for a wider read.

Sanitsuda Ekachai for Prime Minister! She's always right on.

I've considered myself a Buddhist for roughly 40 years (Mahayana/Tibetan style)

and I couldn't think of a dumber declaration than for Thailand to officially declare Buddhism as its state religion. The Buddha himself would either laugh or cry at such a declaration. Let the chips fall where they may. If politico clergy are worried about Christian 'inroads' or otherwise insecure about keeping the flock aligned with Buddhism, then there are better ways to ensure a vibrant congregation. Suggestion #1: tune in to what Buddhism really is, and show by example. The people will gravitate to what's real. If you force compliance (as they do for Muslims in the Middle East) then you ask for resistance and discord.

Sanitsuda Ekachai for Prime Minister! She's always right on.

I've considered myself a Buddhist for roughly 40 years (Mahayana/Tibetan style)

and I couldn't think of a dumber declaration than for Thailand to officially declare Buddhism as its state religion. The Buddha himself would either laugh or cry at such a declaration. Let the chips fall where they may. If politico clergy are worried about Christian 'inroads' or otherwise insecure about keeping the flock aligned with Buddhism, then there are better ways to ensure a vibrant congregation. Suggestion #1: tune in to what Buddhism really is, and show by example. The people will gravitate to what's real. If you force compliance (as they do for Muslims in the Middle East) then you ask for resistance and discord.

I doubt that the Buddha would have laughed or cried at this....or anything else. I believe that the Buddha exhibited equanimity and compassion towards all things and all phenomena. I agree that we would benefit by tuning into what Buddhism really is.