Pattaya Universal Language & Computer School

helicoptor

I saw an ad in Pattaya Mail 'Special offer 60 hours read, write and speak language of your choice, 9000 Baht' so I cut out the ad and went along, their office is just off Tukcom.

So I go inside and opted not to show them the newspaper clipping at this point, I just enquired about learning thai, she shows me a laminated A4 price sheet and was offered 20 hours speak thai 5,500 Baht, with 60 hours equating to something like 13,000, it was at this point I showed her the ad, after some lengthy thai discussion with her boss who was sitting at the back of the office, they tell me that the ad is for learning English only. Now, it is arguable that my English is also in need of improvement but today I was interested in the Thai language.

I pointed out the wording of the ad... 'language of your choice' after some more lengthy thai discussion with her boss, they lamented, admitted the ad was a mistake and today I was a lucky man.

I felt good at this point and signed up, starting after songkhram.

Maybe I should have enquired on TV before signing up, but in any case does anyone have any experiences of this school? Have I really got a good deal?

Heli

ok so not much response.

How about .. Has anyone partaken in learnig Thai and how much did it cost

Im just looking for a comparative :o

The best school IMO is AUA near the Dolphin Roundabout , not a fly by night operation like so many of the language schools.

Edited by JimmyTheMook

I saw an ad in Pattaya Mail 'Special offer 60 hours read, write and speak language of your choice, 9000 Baht' so I cut out the ad and went along, their office is just off Tukcom.

So I go inside and opted not to show them the newspaper clipping at this point, I just enquired about learning thai, she shows me a laminated A4 price sheet and was offered 20 hours speak thai 5,500 Baht, with 60 hours equating to something like 13,000, it was at this point I showed her the ad, after some lengthy thai discussion with her boss who was sitting at the back of the office, they tell me that the ad is for learning English only. Now, it is arguable that my English is also in need of improvement but today I was interested in the Thai language.

I pointed out the wording of the ad... 'language of your choice' after some more lengthy thai discussion with her boss, they lamented, admitted the ad was a mistake and today I was a lucky man.

Maybe I should have enquired on TV before signing up, but in any case does anyone have any experiences of this school? Have I really got a good deal?

Heli

I have found them to be rubbish......Save your money. Buy a good DVD and learn that way with your GFs help.....

Heli

I have found them to be rubbish......Save your money. Buy a good DVD and learn that way with your GFs help.....

Helicopter, with your accent I would stick to learning to write. :D

To be honest it makes the learning easier if you can learn to read and write as well as speak. It gets you away from the suspect transliteration, some should be taken with a big dose of salt, I have found that it helps if you try to imitate an American accent to get some place near a correct sound.

Not sure about that particular organisation, the best thing I can say is to take what you can from the place try to learn as much as you can with the help of the learn thai forum. Become mates with the cunning linguist Meadish Sweetballs. Then become one of the star students at the school. It is a pity they do not have consumer protection laws in LOS as they do in other places to keep the advertising close to honest. :D

Good luck. :o

Helicopter, with your accent I would stick to learning to write. :D

To be honest it makes the learning easier if you can learn to read and write as well as speak. It gets you away from the suspect transliteration, some should be taken with a big dose of salt, I have found that it helps if you try to imitate an American accent to get some place near a correct sound.

Not sure about that particular organisation, the best thing I can say is to take what you can from the place try to learn as much as you can with the help of the learn thai forum. Become mates with the cunning linguist Meadish Sweetballs. Then become one of the star students at the school. It is a pity they do not have consumer protection laws in LOS as they do in other places to keep the advertising close to honest. :D

Good luck. :o

wo' accent, I speak the queens english, me no wot a mean, r kid, madfurrit :D

• 1 month later...

I go to the Pro Language and computer school and pay 15000 baht for 60 hours. Its near the bus station in North Pattaya. So I guess you got a good deal.

Its properly licensed and I have been there when the government inspectors have come to check/certify the work permits.

I have been going for a couple of years now, so my Thai reading, writing and speaking is pretty good now, not sure I need to go any more, but I enjoy going! sad or what.

They are pretty good I guess, but as I have always had the same teacher, I cannot speak for the quality of the rest of the staff.

How is the course going?

I suspect you know there is a thread on TV for learning Thai and asking questions etc???

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43

I have had 8 x one hour lessons to date and progress is slowly slowly which is as I suspected.

The pros

One-on-One

The cons

No real structure

Only at this stage I am learning conversational thai, Q&A, Statements

I will stick at it - it keeps me out of trouble and away from watching 'Slim Pattaya & Moon River Pub' ads on Telly during the week

I go to the Pro Language and computer school and pay 15000 baht for 60 hours. Its near the bus station in North Pattaya. So I guess you got a good deal.

Its properly licensed and I have been there when the government inspectors have come to check/certify the work permits.

I have been going for a couple of years now, so my Thai reading, writing and speaking is pretty good now, not sure I need to go any more, but I enjoy going! sad or what.

They are pretty good I guess, but as I have always had the same teacher, I cannot speak for the quality of the rest of the staff.

How is the course going?

I suspect you know there is a thread on TV for learning Thai and asking questions etc???

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43

My wife used that place for a while to learn English and was quite happy there, and her English improved a lot. The only problem was that they kept changing teachers because they kept leaving. I think they pay them a pittance.

She's now down at the one on Pattaya Klang, just before Carrefour, which also seem to be quite good. She's learning computer skills and I am very impressed with their methods - the wife already knows more than me :o

• 2 weeks later...