Minor International urges PM, governor to further restrict public movement, temporarily closing Bangkok hotels

snoop1130

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

His hotels are empty... closing them will save money. read through the BS

I stayed at a hotel in BKK last night. About 100 rooms. Only person there. Only car in the car park. Only person at breakfast.

Stayed at a four star two weeks ago. Very few people there and they had wound back on some of the perks for premier guests. They are all feeling the pinch from the drop in tourists and now have the virus on top.

Edited by emptypockets

Why doesn't Thailand do what China has done - and US President Donald Trump is keen to do - and start treating corona virus patients with cheap and cheerful chloroquine? The former malaria prophylactic is apparently to be very effective at reducing viral load and has helped China gets its outbreak under control. 

Alternatively, of course, we can all just sit on our hands, and wait months for Bill Gates and his Big Pharma buddies to roll out their promised vaccine. By which time the number of COVID-19 cases will have grown - along, of course, with the profit potential.

In a World Economic Forum-sponsored simulation exercise six months ago, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and others forecast up to 65 million deaths in the event of a corona virus pandemic. Makes yer think, dunnit?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/a-simulated-coronavirus-pandemic-in-2019-killed-65-million.html

18 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes, this virus is real, yes, many people will die,

but shutting down the whole economy will kill many more people.

it is that simple.

scary to see what is going on now around the world, and how

tens of millions of people are losing their jobs, their lives, and

even their sanity, because some WHO health organizations decided

to change the whole world into sanitary experiment.

it just does not work this way.

you can't kill a virus by strangling the patient.

The time for action was months ago yet the govt still allows Chinese visitors free access.  How can you do a quarantine when you can't enforce motorbike helmets.  It will need to run its course plain and simple.  The time for action is long past.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimG said:

So, closing hotels is, you think, the way to go.  Well, there are other hotels for those that need a place to sleep.  The folks that you put out of work by closing just will have to find some other way to make money to feed their kids.  You object to them leaving town to live with their up-country families.  Where are they to go?  How are they to live?  YOU DON'T CARE, do you?

Where did it say that Minor International employees were being put out of work and not being paid?  As Thai citizen perhaps he does care.

"You object to them leaving town to live with their up-country families.   Where are they to go?".

Perhaps he's encouraging them to stay wherever they live right now for the obvious Covid19 reason, he's not making anyone homeless.

Edited by Just Weird

9 hours ago, JimG said:

So, closing hotels is, you think, the way to go.  Well, there are other hotels for those that need a place to sleep.  The folks that you put out of work by closing just will have to find some other way to make money to feed their kids.  You object to them leaving town to live with their up-country families.  Where are they to go?  How are they to live?  YOU DON'T CARE, do you?

Why keep an empty hotel open?  Drastic measures now will prevent a drawn out situation.

In Austria all hotels had 2 days to close, all tourists had to leave the country. Yes, there are a lot of temporarily unemployed people (115.000). At least it stopped infections travelling further. Our borders are closed, whole areas are under quarantine. Life will restart at some point. Ppl here show solidarity and help each other out. 

One infected person will infect another 3. Do your math and you will see the nos. going up within a day. 

9 hours ago, Brigand said:

As I've mentioned before, yes, sounds sensible but it's all very well for these well-off types to just sweepingly say this and then drive home in their Mercedes to their mansion/bunker and just swan around in luxury with a shed load of food/supplies. What about the people you put out of a job? What will they do? What about people who rely on taking things to the market to sell everyday? What about all the SMEs that will collapse so very fast that families rely on? What about even the guy selling ice cream from a motorbike? It's just not as simple as some rich simpletons think.

Make those "rich simpletons" pay a part salary may be?

Curious to hear Mr william of Minor's proposal what the chain's salaried ( and very likely on unpaid leave) workers suppose to do if not going back their provinces?

Are their to sleep and eat in the hotel in a self imposed but paid for isolation?

It is interesting to see how Minor already positioning itself for handout from government, rolling over for "strong support", something they were not proposing when in February the chinese tourists were still flowing in unchecked....

Nothing new, business as same same. Once again the unprotected workers to pay for other's mistakes for not acting in time, worrying about missed profits to the point when the wind has changed, and their old fart life being a primary candidate to the final one way trip.

Bill's in business. Work it out - if government orders all hotels shut, Minor can claim, along with everyone else, for subs to help them out when things get back to normal. Closing of his own volition, as some of his rivals have done, would not attract the government money.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes, this virus is real, yes, many people will die,

but shutting down the whole economy will kill many more people.

it is that simple.

scary to see what is going on now around the world, and how

tens of millions of people are losing their jobs, their lives, and

even their sanity, because some WHO health organizations decided

to change the whole world into sanitary experiment.

it just does not work this way.

you can't kill a virus by strangling the patient.

This is so true.

I think a lot of peoples thoughts are now teetering the full scale between:

-on one side: realising this is quite serious and needs drastic action.

-on the other side: wondering if the worldwide hysteria and panic actually matches the real risk.. 

AND if there might be another agenda being played out in all this. 

I am not really one for conspiracy theories but sometimes you really do have to wonder.

But I do know for sure, a very well known and well used saying amongst politicians:

"NEVER let a good crisis go to waste"

Im not sure if its true, but Trump is now considering (or maybe being told to consider) this "digital money" idea, whatever that is.

I suppose the next thing is that populations have been SO scared out of their wits that they will accept nearly ANYTHING.

-cashless society

-chips (with all sorts of information) embedded in the human body to do any type of transaction.

-new world order, run by who?

Im sure the religious are saying this is all playing out step by step..just like their book says.

Had some rellos talking about "mark of the beast" and "the anti-christ" turning up soon.

And even worse is now i cant even go to the pub!

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

This is so true.

I think a lot of peoples thoughts are now teetering the full scale between:

-on one side: realising this is quite serious and needs drastic action.

-on the other side: wondering if the worldwide hysteria and panic actually matches the real risk.. 

AND if there might be another agenda being played out in all this. 

I am not really one for conspiracy theories but sometimes you really do have to wonder.

But I do know for sure, a very well known and well used saying amongst politicians:

"NEVER let a good crisis go to waste"

Im not sure if its true, but Trump is now considering (or maybe being told to consider) this "digital money" idea, whatever that is.

I suppose the next thing is that populations have been SO scared out of their wits that they will accept nearly ANYTHING.

-cashless society

-chips (with all sorts of information) embedded in the human body to do any type of transaction.

-new world order, run by who?

Im sure the religious are saying this is all playing out step by step..just like their book says.

Had some rellos talking about "mark of the beast" and "the anti-christ" turning up soon.

And even worse is now i cant even go to the pub!

As a 70+ BOF I will be gone before they get a chance to stick a chip in me.

( Chips with a nice bit of cod I'll go for that ).

Truth be told, if people around the world don't stop playing with viruses then that's the way we're all going to go.

Not with a big bang, just a whimper.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, bangkokfrog said:

What strong actions? In my country we call this sucking up... but it may be what you have to do to get government attention in the LONSMS (Land of not so many smiles!)

You have to word things as if they are in support of and give people a way to keep or save face.  It was a well crafted letter with this regard.  If he had worded it as a criticism it is more likely to get the opposite dug in reaction that he does not want to get.

• Like 1