Medical body warns against testing for Covid-19 with kits bought online

webfact

By The Nation

imageproxy copy.jpg

File photo

The Association of Medical Technologist of Thailand (AMTT) has warned people against purchasing test kits online and examining themselves for Covid-19 at home.

In a statement, the AMTT said some illegal Covid-19 test kits had leaked for sale on social media. AMTT warned people against buying these kits since they might be unverified or ones that had not passed the FDA standard. if the test result is not interpreted by an expert, it might cause more harm than good, it warned.

Moreover, blood tests at home also open the opportunity for the spread of Covid-19, as well as other pathogens that could be transmitted through the blood, such as Aids and hepatitis to spread to the community quickly and widely as well.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385058

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-30

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And worst of all, they would show the true extent of the epidemic, unlike the throttled official confirmations.

Puts an end to what I thought I could do.  No wonder the company denied my purchase......

The truth will become known, these antibody tests will be very widely available very soon and they're going to be cheap and produced under the watchful eye of European and US FDA equivalents.

I imagine they will do everything possible to prevent the import of any of these tests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

The truth will become known, these antibody tests will be very widely available very soon and they're going to be cheap and produced under the watchful eye of European and US FDA equivalents.

I imagine they will do everything possible to prevent the import of any of these tests.

PTT & co bankrolled their own Thai version, I have yet to see confirmation if it's antibody or CRISPR. Regardless, there's ton of profit to be made, why let ze evil foreigners in.

The kits are available already, f.ex. http://sugentech.com/products/products-view.php?ct=7&target=32 from Korea.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

So many fakes out there atm. From my understanding, the Wondfo ones are the only ones cerified by the European medical councils and approved for supply in Australia. We bought a few just in case things went south. You can get them in Bangkok.

inbound5552272764881414054.jpg

inbound518708154013676998.jpg

Edited by david2017

Nah, no way Jose. Better to wait for the government-approved testers.

And wait

and wait

and wait..

Then wait some more...

Life's grand ain't it? Maybe a little shorter than you thort, but grand.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

Note that this is an antibody test an may therefore give a false negative in the first 10 days of infection.

Yes, correct. Here's one study from Finland that showed in that case antibodies were not present in detectable amounts until a few days after symptom onset: https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.11.2000266

They also pointed out some data about SARS-CoV, the original SARS:

The time of first appearance of anti-SARS-CoV antibodies has ranged from Day 3 to 42 and Day 5 to 47 for IgM and IgG antibodies, respectively 

It's good for locating outbreaks about to happen and contact tracing. The stuff that needs to happen at the same time as social distancing. Add big data and machine learning and you're on your way to winning. 

But in Thailand, it's don't test -> no data -> no information to act upon -> uncontrolled epidemic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

PTT & co bankrolled their own Thai version, I have yet to see confirmation if it's antibody or CRISPR. Regardless, there's ton of profit to be made, why let ze evil foreigners in.

This is based on CRISPR. The first link is the initial announcement of a fast COVID-19 test developed by Vidyasirimedhi Institute, MIT, and PTT. This detects virus RNA like the current 6 hr PCR tests. The second announcement below discusses CRISPR directly.

Original anouncment of fast Thai COVID-19 tests by Vidyasirimedhi Institute, PTT

Thai PBS World announcement of same development based on CRISPR  (30-45 minute time, $15 cost/test, 10000s of tests)

MIT, Broad Institute CRISPR-Cas13 News, general background

The is what we need, but, not what is being sold openly (antibody tests)

Edited by rabas

In an ideal world where tests of all kinds are plentiful I would like to be tested for antibodies and live virus on a swab.

That would show if you have it, have had it and likely indicate how long you've had it if you still have it ????

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

This is based on CRISPR. The first link is the initial announcement of a fast COVID-19 test developed by Vidyasirimedhi Institute, MIT, and PTT. This detects virus RNA like the current 6 hr PCR tests. The second announcement below discusses CRISPR directly.

Original anouncment of fast Thai COVID-19 tests by Vidyasirimedhi Institute, PTT

Thai PBS World announcement of same development based on CRISPR  (30-45 minute time, $15 cost/test, 10000s of tests)

MIT, Broad Institute CRISPR-Cas13 News, general background

The is what we need, but, not what is being sold openly (antibody tests)

I certainly hope it is indeed CRISPR and PBS didn't copy my post from TVF when I first saw that press conference and posted about it ????

Yes, if that can be produced in mass, distributed all over and the results gathered in an open database in real time ( an app that actually works, for example .. ), it could be a real game changer. With that raw data all sorts of early warning systems would become possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I certainly hope it is indeed CRISPR and PBS didn't copy my post from TVF when I first saw that press conference and posted about it ????

I thought about that before posting :laugh: