a Google Maps question

bendejo

I would like to print out a street map that indicates the names of streets, but not shops, hotels etc.

For example:

la1.png.b2306bf2a6d27e7e270481a89a933978.png

a version of this map without any of the location markers but with street names would be ideal.

I've researched this, and found no solution.  I suspect this ability may have existed in older versions but not now.  There are also about half a dozen terms people use for various markers on google maps, which is why I included the pic to (hopefully) avoid confusion.  Also I'd like to clarify that the location markers are not of my own creation (that is, not part of "Your Locations").

The nearest I can find to this capability is satellite view, which has "labels on/off."  This works, but also turns off street names, and has no effect on map view.  I've just spent a few hours chasing after all sorts of solutions that are not.

I've tried Bing maps, which seems to lack this capability as well.

might not be what you are looking for but found this

https://jsfiddle.net/geary/c3zupt25/2/

put it full screen on the bottom right, click satellite and it does half what you wish (maybe good enough?)

or

https://earth.google.com/web/@13.54699777,100.27189102,2.16031372a,1686.98842997d,35y,0.02258973h,0t,0r

three lines at the top, Map Style, click custom.. remove everything you don't want and it does similar job.

• Like 1

Ok, I got what I was out for, thanks again.  Others may want the same thing, so I'll explain how I did this.

I wanted street maps of certain areas to put on my phone that I could use without a comms connection, like in the above post.  The small screen is crowded enough and I didn't need to know about dog grooming salons etc. 

https://mapstyle.withgoogle.com

is the place to start.  I went to the area I wanted and diddled the settings.  When I got what what I wanted I couldn't find a find a way to print it to a file without including the settings panel, so I used a screen capture utility on the map area.  I have DuckLink, installed it ages ago (either under XP or Win7) and it still works.  But it saves in PNG, so I used my go-to pic viewer Irfanview (again, installed ages ago) and saved it as a PDF.  Looks fine and is quite zoom-able on the Android screen, not as crisp as the product of printing directly to PDF but pretty good nonetheless.

And that's that!

Didn't have to fuss with the JSON code or API key at any point.

Edited by bendejo

18 hours ago, bendejo said:

I wanted street maps of certain areas to put on my phone that I could use without a comms connection

You do know about offline maps, right?

Both Google Maps and HERE WeGo can work without live Internet. Either just need a bit of prep before going offline. I especially rely on HERE WeGo for driving direction out in the sticks.

• Like 1