Learning Thai

khunphilip

Anybody outhere in Chiangmai know of a good Thai Private Teacher tried a school but asI read and write Thai found it a slow process as with other sudents whos Thai was limited and was not to impressed with the teacher or the method not the only one in the class to be of that opinion. So private teacher would be better so any suggestions would be welcomed

F.T.P

Anybody outhere in Chiangmai know of a good Thai Private Teacher tried a school but asI read and write Thai  found it a slow process as with other sudents whos Thai was limited and was not to impressed with the teacher or the method not the only one in the class to be of that opinion. So private teacher would be better so any suggestions would be welcomed

F.T.P

AUA is still your best bet, overall....

Thai classes by day, English classes by night :o

AUA will arrange special deals for students who have advanced beyond their basic level. I took one such course myself, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week (plus homework) in which we concentrated on reading, translating and discussing Thai newspaper articles. I was very pleased with it and learned a lot.

Contact AUA and they will be happy to arrange a schedule with you and one of their teachers if they can.

It might also be a good idea to contact Phayap University to see what they offer. I have no first hand experience from there, but I know a former American student who studied there for one year, and now has near-native pronunciation.

Apart from that, I don't know any more alternatives in Chiang Mai. Bangkok, of course, has more possibilities.

• 1 year later...
AUA will arrange special deals for students who have advanced beyond their basic level. I took one such course myself, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week (plus homework) in which we concentrated on reading, translating and discussing Thai newspaper articles. I was very pleased with it and learned a lot.

Contact AUA and they will be happy to arrange a schedule with you and one of their teachers if they can.

It might also be a good idea to contact Phayap University to see what they offer. I have no first hand experience from there, but I know a former American student who studied there for one year, and now has near-native pronunciation.

Apart from that, I don't know any more alternatives in Chiang Mai. Bangkok, of course, has more possibilities.

People point to either the AUA or Phayap University six week courses (60 hours) as the best alternatives in Chiang Mai for farang to learn Thai.

But AUA and Payap don’t approach teaching Thai in the same way. If we stick to the beginner level, at Payap the emphasis is on learning with the Thai alphabet, whereas AUA stresses the importance of understanding and pronouncing the tones correctly and learning the alphabet doesn’t come in until much later:

PHAYAP:

”Beginning Thai focuses on the survival language skills necessary for daily life. Students begin their learning with the Thai alphabet and useful vocabulary [numbers, food, directions, telling time, parts of the body, family, and other topics of simple conversation]. Classroom activities are highly interactive, using props, objects, and pictures to stimulate conversation. Homework and language lab assignments are designed to encourage students to overcome their initial inhibitions about speaking Thai.”

AUA:

”The teaching methodology employed for the AUA Thai courses is an outgrowth of the philosophy that for the students to speak Thai well they must be able to understand and produce the tones of the language correctly and accurately. In order to accomplish this goal, a method of "focused practice" is used. Practical vocabulary and grammar patterns are introduced and drilled before students are asked to engage in short or long dialogs and conversations. A large percentage of the class is spent in having the teacher model sounds, patterns and sentences and the students practicing those drills.”

Some people I’ve talked to favour AUA, others Phayap. The earlier thred here, two years ago and with only four postings (Learning Thai, One To One Teacher) favours Phayap

It’s of course hard to get unbiassed opinions, but by now there must be a substantial bag of knowledge in the Chiang Mai farang community as to which method is to be preferred.

Another factor is the pricing. AUA charges Bt3900 for the six week course (plus material), Phayap Bt7000. (I hope I haven’t misunderstood this.) There are of course other differences, but it seems to me that the methodological approach is of major importance.

I think you will find both ok if you are truly dedicated and are prepared to put in the extra time outside of class. This is the crucial point to getting anywhere.

During my uni years I spent an average of 4-5 hours per day studying, apart from actual classes. This was actually not as much as I should have, but it was more than several others did. I completed my studies, they did not.

• 4 years later...

You can Learn Thai at Rajamangala University(that's the Tecnical University on the right hand side of Hauy Kaew raod after you pass the CMU gates and before you get to the police station) contact Jelin Language centre @ 053- 921444 ext. 1309 or 0862580852

Anybody outhere in Chiangmai know of a good Thai Private Teacher tried a school but asI read and write Thai found it a slow process as with other sudents whos Thai was limited and was not to impressed with the teacher or the method not the only one in the class to be of that opinion. So private teacher would be better so any suggestions would be welcomed

F.T.P

AUA is still your best bet, overall....

Thai classes by day, English classes by night :o

FORGET AUA!!! Went there tried it, don't like it- the books are 30 years old Just down the same road (Ratchadamnoen?? (sp) is the Thai language Centre, just past the cross roads - a yellow faced building that serves food. The teachers are great, adaptable/flexible and it's fun. tel 053 277810

About 250 Baht/hour solo, cheaper if more

different strokes for different folks. I tried AUA and not knowing anything and being in a class with people who had all ready took the course or been living here for a while I got lost fast. Switched to one on one and made some progress. They put a lot of stress on grammar. Not my strong point in English.

I had a teacher come to my place twice a week with homework I found for me that was the ticket. Still cant really say I can speak the language. .Going on holidays and when I get back a friend of mine is getting one on one lessons in speaking and writing. Going to try that. It has been my understanding if you can read it you will find it a lot easier to speak it. Don't know if it means any thing to any body but his tutor also speaks German.