Hua Hin Or Chumphon

brianwl

Ok folks here's your chance to put some input to a newbie on where to live.

I've been looking at Chumphon because I'm a SCUBA fanatic. It has decent diving and about half way between BKK and Phuket with Krabi in between. Also I know I can decent housing at reasonable cost (below 10,000).

But I know little about Hua Hin other than it is closer to BKK which can have it's benefits. I did read one post that said Hua Hin has nice beaches but the water is horrible.

So, let's hear some input on both. :o

What you are talking is not Chumpon...it's about 15-20km, on the beach. Look for "Cabana Beach", that's where many tours start from to Koh Tao for scuba diving.

You can live cheaply on that beach - 5000B for a townhouse, 5 bedrooms, 3 storey (a friend used to live there for 4 years).

Chumpon itself is uncomparable with Hua Hin (in size, probably yes).

The only farang eatery is KFC.

Hua Hin beach: nice to walk on (some posters said they were attacked by stray dogs on the beach. I saw them but never got attacked).

The beach is not very good for swimming. Actually, other than day-trip Thais who have no swimming pool hardly anyone swims there. It's not that dirty but is a far cray from tirquize waters from postcards. Many jelly fish too, don't know in which season or always.

You may want to live in Hua Hin and make trips to Chumpon for much of the reasons TTM has pointed out. I love the beach and lack of crowds at Chumpon but unless you like solitude it could get pretty boring in the off season.

You may want to live in Hua Hin and make trips to Chumpon for much of the reasons TTM has pointed out. I love the beach and lack of crowds at Chumpon but unless you like solitude it could get pretty boring in the off season.

Actually the solitude is a big reason I'm interested. As long as I can learn Thai from someone there, have acess to the internet and can scuba dive I'll be quite happy.

Don't judge the beach water in downtown Hua Hin with the water a few kilos north or south, although it may all be unsuitable for SCUBA. The time the dog bit me, at the beach, was quite rare. The jellyfish are common in certain months, and are a serious hazard.

Since HHin is quite civilized, it might be a good 'vacation' from the solitude when you're in the mood for company.

May I ask members of this board if anyone is familiar with Prachuab Khiri Khan?

I am thinking of leaving Bangkok and wondering about life in the Pranburi or Prachuab areas, facilities ,availability of houses for sale etc. Is Prachuab expensive to buy a house? Is it livable year round?

My brother in law has some land in Prachuab Kirikhan. Not too far from Ao Manao (5 min drive).

He bought it many years ago as a small investment, and just last year the plots around him are starting to get build upon.

A million baht should get you 0.5 rai and a house of moderate quality and size in that area.

Currently not in Thailand otherwise i would asked him some questions.

May I ask members of this board if anyone is familiar with Prachuab Khiri Khan?

I am thinking of leaving Bangkok and wondering about life in the Pranburi or Prachuab areas, facilities ,availability of houses for sale etc. Is Prachuab expensive to buy a house? Is it livable year round?

Not really hard facts, but some impressions after several visits.

Pranburi is getting crowded and a bit expensive due to the number of resorts. Paknam Pran (further south) used to be quiet, but seems to be getting an overflow from Pranburi.

Prachuap town is quite nice, but the beaches are just so-so unless you head out to Ao Manao .. which happens to be inside the Air Force base .. which happens to have a guest house and small golf course. There didn't seem to be oodles of rentals available .. but that's the case with most areas that don't cater to farangs.

The good beaches (IMO) start start at Thapsakae. Approx 350 km marker. One neat place is Jack Beach Resort's beachfront place (not sure about the rooms). JBR is walking distance from the pier.

Thapsakae also has a big Scandanavian housing estate, Orchid Resort or similar .. not quite on the beach. I heard that a new one on the beach is planned.

Further South (380 km marker) with even better beaches .. albeit seriously rearranged by this year's typhoon and heavy waves .. is Ban Krut. Miles and km of good sand. The beach and water starts getting dirty around Bangsaphan due to the deep water port for the steel rolling mill.

Just south (5-10 km) of BS is BS Yai with some okay beach.

Out in the sea is Koh Thalu .. a captive island and some good beginner style scuba diving and snorkeling.

Further south, Bangsaphan Noi and Bang Burd. Bang Burd has a different feel. Not sure about the current state of development, but several years back there were 2 largish Thai style resorts.

Then you get to Thunwualen Beach which is north of Chumphon .. and my fingers are tired.:o

Well, solitude is in abundance there, and I found the locals quite friendly.

Agreed. I find the locals (south PKK) quite refreshing. They don't pay much attention to me most of the time. When I shop at the weekend markets, I don't see double pricing. Superficially, the folks here seem distant as a result. But they tend to be cordial and genuine when I make an effort.

One of my favorite pastimes is walking on the beach and talking to the fishermen. They pretend that they understand my Thai, and I pretend that I understand what they are saying. :o

I've just had a few days driving down and up that section of the country and I'll echo the sentimnents.

Anyone know of any beachfront land or traditional thai houses available for sale along there? I'd love to settle there.

Both places are great been to both, Chumphons more up and coming and more Thai. The beach adn small islands are quite intersting. the whole area is rather low in elevation though. I came to edit this, parts are low lying there are spots where cliffs overlook the sea and beach.

Edited by anthonyaus

• 1 month later...
I've just had a few days driving down and up that section of the country and I'll echo the sentimnents.

Anyone know of any beachfront land or traditional thai houses available for sale along there? I'd love to settle there.

Everything is for sale, just agree a price.

I would echo the concern about flooding. Even the main North-South Highway can be a nightmare. I was caught in very bad flood once, and luckily I was driving a high-riding SUV. We went through water that came up past the doors! And, this happens every year.

I would ask around to ensure that whereever you choose is not a flood zone.

*this is in reference to Chumphon area and Prachuap KK.

Edited by chinthee

Hi, the distance from Chumphon to Hua Hin is about 265km. A steady ride up to HH takes me about 2-1/2 hours. The road is a bit boring but its a 2 lane highway all the way and they have replaced most of the bad sections. I tend to take the Chumphon airport turn off on the way back and come into Chumphon via Thun Wae laen beach as its a nice twisty back road after miles of highway. Accom in town is cheap and comfortable. I lived in HH for about a year then moved here. Much better place to live for me, we love it here. Enjoy :o