Recovery from a serious Covid-19 case may be much worse than you think

Jingthing

This is of course about more serious cases. It obviously doesn't apply to asymptomatic and mild cases. 

In a situation like this I think more knowledge is better. 

There are still many people in the world spreading misinformation that this is just another seasonal flu. 

In reality for the serious cases its closer to the 1918 flu pandemic or even ebola than regular seasonal flu. 

So for serious cases if you don't die from it that doesn't mean you'll be leaving the hospital dancing a jig.

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/What-they-don-t-tell-you-about-surviving-15347792

What they don’t tell you about surviving COVID-19

'Recovered' doesn't mean healthy again

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In reality for the serious cases its closer to the 1918 flu pandemic or even ebola than regular seasonal flu

Ebola?  Care to elaborate to Stadtler about this statement?

7 minutes ago, Stadtler said:

Ebola?  Care to elaborate to Stadtler about this statement?

That got Stadtler's attention huh. 

I was thinking specifically the aspect of blood thickening and thinning. 

Refer to link. 

Of course I'm not suggesting Covid-19 has anywhere near the fatality rate as ebola. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/22/coronavirus-blood-clots/

10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Do you have actual knowledge of cases yourself or just what you read?

I know of two people personally that have been in ICU ( and are now dancing jig ) so you're basically just reading about a very small % of cases and scaremongering.

I know of at least 10 cases + of people that have shown zero symptoms.

As i've mentioned before you really should get back to normality and forget about this disease, more chance of the stress of the matter giving you health problems......but up to you!

Stop playing disingenuous games. 

You know perfectly well that I wasn't talking about mild cases. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Stop playing disingenuous games. 

You know perfectly well that I wasn't talking about mild cases. 

The cases i mention are ICU, do you know what that means? hardly mild!

I don't know what that big word means in your 1st sentence btw.

Read a similar article in the Atlantic

COVID-19 Can Last for Several Months
The disease’s “long-haulers” have endured relentless waves of debilitating symptoms—and disbelief from doctors and friends.

theatlantic.com | HEALTH | Story by Ed Yong | JUNE 4, 2020

"[respondents] who say they have been wrestling with serious COVID-19 symptoms for at least a month, if not two or three. Some call themselves “long-termers” or “long-haulers.”

"It’s not clear why this happens. Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale, offers three possibilities. Long-haulers might still harbor infectious virus in some reservoir organ, which is missed by tests that use nasal swabs. Or persistent fragments of viral genes, though not infectious, may still be triggering a violent immune overreaction, as if “you’re reacting to a ghost of a virus,” Iwasaki says. More likely, the virus is gone but the immune system, having been provoked by it, is stuck in a lingering overactive state."

While scary to read about it's not unexpected for some to have lingering effects or after-affects following a bout with infection or even recovery from an accident. But this is something to keep an eye on as Covid-19 infections seems to be setting people up for other problems, especially if it somehow is altering or throwing a clog into the works of the immune system reaction function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed for a small minority this becomes extremely serious and not just for the elderly:

"Most recently, a 20-year-old COVID-19 survivor in Chicago was the recipient of a new set of lungs, due to a lung transplant that was necessary to treat a condition now being called post-COVID fibrosis."

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, it can turn your lungs into raisins reports are it most certainly can cause life time health issues.

Now I'm worried. How long on average can these life time health issues last?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

There are still many people in the world spreading misinformation that this is just another seasonal flu. 

More pointless fear mongering, pretty much expected! CNN? 

Not every body is gullible ????

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

More facts mean less fear. 

But sorry. Not all facts are pleasant. 

Wishing all the hassles of the pandemic are over already doesn't make it so. 

Rushing too fast towards so called normalcy is predictably backfiring. 

This is a very serious (for some) and very infectious virus. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

depends how long you live...life time means exactly that and it is too soon to say how long you may live with extra damage to your health as a result of C-19.

• Like 1

A troll post has been removed, if you have nothing to add to the topic then please move on but DO NOT leave your rubbish on here for others to report on and for mods to clean up after you.

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Do you have actual knowledge of cases yourself or just what you read?

I know of two people personally that have been in ICU ( and are now dancing jig ) so you're basically just reading about a very small % of cases and scaremongering.

I know of at least 10 cases + of people that have shown zero symptoms.

As i've mentioned before you really should get back to normality and forget about this disease, more chance of the stress of the matter giving you health problems......but up to you!

Put aside Covid 19 and  appreciate that respiratory infections and immunological cascades can and do result in physical damage. We see that when people have a severe allergic response and we see it in  patients who have had infections resulting in pneumonia.  

Unfortunately for many people who were infected with Covid19, their lungs are damaged; Sometimes permanently.  We know that inflammation of the arteries is a major factor in heart disease. The impact of Covid19 is that it  causes inflammation of the  circulatory system. Inflammation  facilitates the breaking off of plaques which result in heart attack and stroke.

No it won't result in long term damage for everyone, but the point is that recovery is not immediate for the majority of patients. They require time to get their lung capacity back. Most patients report that they are fatigued and have breathing issues even after 4 weeks since their "recovery".  We are still in the early stages of the disease, so it is difficult to give an accurate indication. However, we are seeing patients require 4-8 weeks before they can climb the stairs without being out of breath.

And no, this isn't unusual. patients who have had pneumonia do not make an immediate recovery either.

The key here is not the immediate impact of the disease. Rather it is the cumulative impact of damage. Yes, a patient can and should most likely recover. Unfortunately, the damage sustained suggests that the patient will be more susceptible to respiratory infection and more severe damage should the patient suffer a new infection. This too is not new and is seen with people who have had pneumonia and bronchial infections. Each infection adds to the cumulative damage.

5 hours ago, DaLa said:

Outcome is  dependent upon the underlying physical of the patient before infection. It's like heart disease, when a patient receives a stent following a heart attack: If the patient  reduces his/her risk factors and follows the rehabilitation program and monitors his/her condition, the  chronic health condition is successfully managed. if patient goes back to drinking/smoking and feasting on lard filet, the patient will not have a positive outcome.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Ahh like the fools who attend mass events without physical distancing or wearing masks?

Ask that buffoon Novak Djokovic how well his hugging and socializing turned out. (Not only is he and his wife now infected, multiple other people are because of him and Novak is now in damage control.)

Edited by geriatrickid

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Are you talking about Dr Antony Fauci? I hope not! He wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine :

This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) 

Source: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387 

You really want to accuse him of misinformation?

I find it interesting that a young person gets cherry picked out of the hundreds of millions or billions of people that are younger.  From every single incident I've heard or read about, that person had other underlying health issues such as type 1 diabetes, heart issues, cancer, and other serious health issues. 

More fear mongering from the blue hairs, the sky is falling crowd.

4 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

I find it interesting that a young person gets cherry picked out of the hundreds of millions or billions of people that are younger.  From every single incident I've heard or read about, that person had other underlying health issues such as type 1 diabetes, heart issues, cancer, and other serious health issues. 

More fear mongering from the blue hairs, the sky is falling crowd.

Fear mongering no, factual accounts yes:

Maria Van Kerkhove, head of the World Health Organization's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said, "We are seeing more and more younger individuals who are experiencing severe disease." She explained, "We've seen some data from a number of countries across Europe where people of younger age have died. Some of those individuals have had underlying conditions, but some have not."

Just because its happening in a minute scale to the normal deaths statistics for the elderly and those with underlying conditions does not mean its not there and people should be aware of that. 

Why brush aside facts when they are put in context?

I also think the risk to the young is minute and they can survive without need for special measures in place such as all the social distancing, masks, lockdowns etc but that would be in an ideal world.