Fire Breaks Out At Daidomon Mah Boonklong

george

Fire breaks out at Daidomon Mah Boonklong

BANGKOK: -- A fire broke out at Daidomon restaurant on the seventh floor of Mah Boonklong shopping mall Saturday afternoon.

Officials said the fire was caused by short circuit at about 1:30 pm.

Fire engines and fire fighters were rushing to the scene.

-- The Nation 2007-04-21

Popular MBK Centre closes temporarily after blaze

BANGKOK: -- MBK Center, a major shopping complex in Thailand's capital, closed Saturday afternoon for one day after a fire in a restaurant on an upper level, police said.

The blaze apparently occurred in a Japanese restaurant on the seventh floor of the eight-storey, 2000-shop complex, adjoining Tokyu Department Store and the Pathumwan Princess Hotel, neither of which were affected by the fire.

Police initially believed the fire resulted from an electrical short circuit.

Shoppers as well as vendors were ordered to exit the building after the blaze was extinguished, but free-standing exhaust fans were installed to blow out smoke from the crowded premises as the complex has no windows for ventilation purposes, police said.

Cleaners were seen sweeping the seventh floor after firefighters contained the blaze.

No casualties were reported in the accident.

MBK is popular shopping paradise among Thais and international tourists, especially known for mobile telephones and related electronics.

--TNA 2007-04-21

Fortunately no one reported hurt, BUT they should implode the joint as it is a death trap.

It's only a matter of time before they have masses (to rival Kader numbers) killed in this building.

Unfortunately, it's not the only one like it in Bangkok or the realm.

Edited by john b good

As old firefighter (volunteer) I reckon that MBK is by far the most unsafe pace in Bangkok for fire. Fire escapes have now been built but insufficient in numbers for the thousands of people being ther on a bust Saturday afternoon. Escalators are not following each other, and badly indicated, ofter far away from each other and for every floor at a different location.

But most of all will be the smoke. This will be the big killer if ever a serious fire will start. It scares me each time I go shopping to MBK and I try to avoid this place as much as I can.

i like the daidomon restaurant, even have a member card. but many month ago the leave their place at the second floor of MBK and i was never been able to locate the new place. also a second one on siam square closed and the one at the siam center. strange news inform me about the new location, i guess that restaurant will be also out of order for a little time.

anyone knows an other daidomon spot around siam square?

As old firefighter (volunteer) I reckon that MBK is by far the most unsafe pace in Bangkok for fire. Fire escapes have now been built but insufficient in numbers for the thousands of people being ther on a bust Saturday afternoon. Escalators are not following each other, and badly indicated, ofter far away from each other and for every floor at a different location.

But most of all will be the smoke. This will be the big killer if ever a serious fire will start. It scares me each time I go shopping to MBK and I try to avoid this place as much as I can.

:o I thought buildings in Thailand were getting safer after a number of incidents, but having recently stayed in a reasonably good hotel in Pattaya the old habits have come back. The hotel had fire exits, signs and extinguishers, but just to check it out (I always do) after going down two fight of stairs the exits were totally blocked with unused furniture. :D

I am appalled at the lives that could be lost in a serious fire in Thailand - I guess there are either no inspectors or they are taking back handers.

Thankfully this fire started at the top so escape from the smoke was easier. Unlike previous fires in that building.

can you give me some more info on fires in that building.?

IE. how many and how bad were they. ?

i go there often.

thanks.

actually its a disaster waiting to happen with the amount of flammable material and punters that get in there.

Thats Bangkok .................get over it

yes i suppose you have a good point there mate and i also am guilty of using that saying, but if you ever find yourself in a building that is involved in fire you will regret using those words. :D

thank you very much. :o

The only reason I ever went in there was for a mobile phone, as someone told me it is THE place to go... I guess someone will prove even that point to be wrong now :o

I never thought about the "danger" when a fire brakes out in that building, though I KNOW many places that are recognizable as a firetrap on first sight... then again there are far less people at those places than in MBK. Let's just hope they get some sort of ventilation system in place, so at least the 1000s of people have time to leave the building.... fre-standing exhaust fans doesn't sound very save to me...

p.s. I can believe you couldn't find that restaurant after it moved, I found a great deal on a mobile phone but decided to keep on looking, never found the place again, and ended up buying a different one lol

Edited by jbhh

The MBK is a disaster waiting to happen. Uphere in Chiangmai we have a shooping mall called central kad suan keow where all the fire exits are chained and padlocked from the inside day and night. If a fire were to break out there is no escape door open. Unbelievable!

An interesting forum ... So often a traveller in these cities can be lulled into a sense of false security by the modernistic look of a building, its glitter and conveniences. A death trap? One would hardly think it possible. And yet, as some of you have pointed out, the design of MBK leaves much to be desired as far as safety is concerned.

I personally had never considered this an issue at MBK, which I have visited. Now I'll begin to think more seriously about the possibility of fire -- not only there, but at hotels, restaurants, etc. And not only in Thailand.

We tend to forget that standards in many countries are, well, substandard. And inspectors may be on the take or else impotent to enforce regulations. Kinda scary when you think of it ...

Thank you for the enlightening discussion.

Any building with synthetic materials will make smoke that kills. Actually you will be dead long before the flames reach you [another volunteer fireman - 30 years with CFA]. A building like MBK is packed with the right stuff to kill hundreds long before they manage to reach the front doors and safety.

Let's be honest and admit that most buildings we live and work in are death traps. So what are you doing about yours ? You live in high rise apartments ? When was the last time you took part in a fire drill ? Do you know where the extinguishers are ? Do you have one of your own for a kitchen fire ? When were they last serviced ? Are the escape doors easily accessible ? If not what have you done about it ? Let's again be honest. There was a fire in MBK. Tomorrow you won't even think about it. Next week you go there and wonder why it smells funny.

It's Thailand - get over it ? No, we are human and it didn't happen to us...ho hum.

I was at MBK over songkran and the top floor where the restaurants are is so dark they probably didn't notice the smoke for a while. Was planning to go there tomorrow. It says closed for a day so will it be open?

I agree that it is a death trap though, exits and escalators are all over the place. Its a nightmare on a normal day. Must have been chaos there today.

I was in there whe nthe fire broke out,there ws no control,no order,everyone just left on thier own,the security staff and fire staff were just watching all the smoke coming from the top floor.The shop owners just shut up shop and ran away.Most tourists had no idea what was happening,talk about panic.There was no fire service no control,talk about having to make your own mind up what to do.The place filled up with smoke within 10 mins of it starting,after that is was getting very hard to breath and see anything,that is when most of the people who were STILL inside on the ground floor watching the fire left.They should train the staff and have a fire plan,it was just one big joke

The escalators are a nightmare. Took me forever to get out of there.(first time) and what a terrible smelly place.

If you are ever caught in a situation like that get on the floor and look for the stairs do not use elevators or escalators if you are carry water wet a hanky to cover your nose wet rag filter better smoke kills more than flames do It always a good idea when you enter a building is to look for the stair well know your way around I assume these building have water hoses on every floor and sprinkler heads there are many thing you can do to save your ass but just remember not to panick people will panick try not to be one of them if you can get inside a shop close the door try to cover the door so no smoke get in

For the folks that live here. If you ever need to leave in a hurry. About central on every floor - on the river side (opposite disccovery , Chulalongkorn Siam Center side) there are doors to the multi-storey car park. I would sure rather be out there in the fresh air trying to make my way down than inside. Let me know if my idea makes sense.

For the folks that live here. If you ever need to leave in a hurry. About central on every floor - on the river side (opposite disccovery , Chulalongkorn Siam Center side) there are doors to the multi-storey car park. I would sure rather be out there in the fresh air trying to make my way down than inside. Let me know if my idea makes sense.

Absolutely. Note however that there are two pairs of doors on each floor leading to the car park. You can then make your way down via the stairs connecting the levels of the car park and this way stay in the open air.

Well, that's one way to think about it. The other way is to actually try and do something about it.

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can try, but dont lose sleep over it. The Thais will keep on doing it there way and there is not much we as foreigners can do or say about it.

and will anybody listen? :o

complacent ?

No Sad Ako

All are entitled to express an opinion

If you wish to listen is up to you.

Personally, to that opinion I do not.

Just happy no one hurt this time.

Regards

:o

Well, that's one way to think about it. The other way is to actually try and do something about it.

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After you're done fixing Thailand's fire codes, perhaps you can then proceed to convince all the farangs that their bargirls aren't "different." :o

Good luck.

So many of you who are lucky enough to actually live in Thailand can become rather annoying with your constant Thai bashing! Sometimes it's a matter of human error and not Thai error.

Please recall the following events that did not take in Thailand, but all in USA:

Factory in North Carolina with security doors locked (from the outside!) trapped many inside during a fire. Many killed.

Nightclub in Rhode Island ~ band pyrotechnics set the ceiling on fire; inadequate adherence to fire code restrictions ~ many people died in this fire.

Also a club in Chicago at around the same time.

There are many others. No need to list all.

Anyway, you probably have gotten the point by now.

This isn't meant to absolve anyone from their responsibility to be aware of fire safety.