Schengen visa question

Is there any chance for my thai gf to get a schengen visa to see me in Europe? Currently there aren't any restrictions for thais to come to my country.

I am currently in an EU country, she is in Thailand. With current COVID restrictions, it's unclear when I will be able to see her.

What are the requirements?

In addition, we plan to get married. Would it be possible to get married in EU and then convert her visa so she could stay with me in EU as much as she wants without the need to go back to Thailand?

Thank you!

Reading your topic I ask myself does she already have a Schengen visit friends or tourist visa? If not she has to wait until VSF global in Bangkok will open up. Some embassy sites (dutch, Belgian) say july 13th. Belgian embassy is not clear what visa they would issue suppose the date is correct. Also Belgian closed it borders to all NON schengen visitors (non essential trips). Italy did the same. Keep in mind that the list is an advice not a decision. The german embassy in Bangkok made it clear. No VSF global services for Germany until there is a regular flight schedule between Thailand and Germany. Dutch embassy states tourist visa /short stay Schengen visa are welcome. They will open on july 13th. 

But the biggest problem occurs on Bangkok airport itself. I read several stories of Thai citizen still possessing a valid Schengen visa not allowed to fly to Europe because the airline staff stated they couldn't guarantee their return flight. This policy makes it almost impossible right now for Thai people to travel to Europa on a short stay Schengen Visa. My GF is the same situation. We don't take the risk right now buying a ticket and then ending up with a new cancellation. Nobody knows how long this situation will continue

Your other question marrying your GF in Europe and then trying to get a longterm visa is tricky. Some countries refuse to do a marriage on a short stay. In a few cases they warn the immigration. So it depends on the country itself. Perhaps the Begian or German route is still possible. I have no experience with it. 

This is the link to the German embassy. Unfortunately it's in German language  https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de  with the text in German "Bitte beachten Sie, dass Schengen-Visaanträge im Moment noch nicht bewilligt werden können, wenn aufgrund dieser Situation in den eingereichten Anträgen keine Rückkehrwilligkeit / Rückkehrmöglichkeit festgestellt werden kann"

Or in English

Please note that Schengen visa applications cannot be approved at the moment, if due to this situation in the submitted applications no willingness to return / Return possibility can be determined.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:58 PM, kno77 said:

Reading your topic I ask myself does she already have a Schengen visit friends or tourist visa? If not she has to wait until VSF global in Bangkok will open up. Some embassy sites (dutch, Belgian) say july 13th. Belgian embassy is not clear what visa they would issue suppose the date is correct. Also Belgian closed it borders to all NON schengen visitors (non essential trips). Italy did the same. Keep in mind that the list is an advice not a decision. The german embassy in Bangkok made it clear. No VSF global services for Germany until there is a regular flight schedule between Thailand and Germany. Dutch embassy states tourist visa /short stay Schengen visa are welcome. They will open on july 13th. 

But the biggest problem occurs on Bangkok airport itself. I read several stories of Thai citizen still possessing a valid Schengen visa not allowed to fly to Europe because the airline staff stated they couldn't guarantee their return flight. This policy makes it almost impossible right now for Thai people to travel to Europa on a short stay Schengen Visa. My GF is the same situation. We don't take the risk right now buying a ticket and then ending up with a new cancellation. Nobody knows how long this situation will continue

Your other question marrying your GF in Europe and then trying to get a longterm visa is tricky. Some countries refuse to do a marriage on a short stay. In a few cases they warn the immigration. So it depends on the country itself. Perhaps the Begian or German route is still possible. I have no experience with it. 

This is the link to the German embassy. Unfortunately it's in German language  https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de  with the text in German "Bitte beachten Sie, dass Schengen-Visaanträge im Moment noch nicht bewilligt werden können, wenn aufgrund dieser Situation in den eingereichten Anträgen keine Rückkehrwilligkeit / Rückkehrmöglichkeit festgestellt werden kann"

Or in English

Please note that Schengen visa applications cannot be approved at the moment, if due to this situation in the submitted applications no willingness to return / Return possibility can be determined.

Thanks a lot!

She doesn’t have schengen visa yet.

Yeah I got a reply from German embassy (the one that you linked), that currently applications for Schengen visa are not accepted for my country (Lithuania).

It’s not urgent yet, I’m planning ahead - for September. Hopefully situation improves then.

Edited by Requiem
missed some info

3 hours ago, mike787 said:

not to be a pessimist rather a realist.  Don't make any travel plans until late 2021-2022.  Covid is here for a very long time.

Yeah I understand. Covid f***** up things big time :/

14 hours ago, Requiem said:

Yeah I understand. Covid f***** up things big time ????

Sadly yes...however, the fact that you understand it is empowering you to deal with it effectively.